Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #37
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I just switched yesterday from my rims (weighed in at 39 pounds), to my stock (weighed in at 30-31pounds).
I noticed my steering wheel is now turned just a bit to the right, yet the car drives straight, so what gives with the slight difference in the wheel?

I also noticed with my shitty roads that I no longer feel the bumps as much as my 205-45/17. But my shocks are dead!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #38
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Check your tire pressures. Only thing that might cause that just from changing wheels/tires would be a mismatch in front tire pressures.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #39
Lafiro

Could be, because when I put them on this year, one of the front tires was very low, and honestly it was cold when I put air in all of them, so im pretty sure its not even all the way around either. THanks for the heads up, I will check that in the morning.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #40
fmicle

So, I just tested my garage for levelness and left-right are at the same level both front and back, but the garage itself seems to have a slpe built-in so the front axle is about 3/4" higher than the rear. Would that significantly change the measurements for alignment if I didn't use, say, tiles, to compensate for the difference?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #41
Loren
What?

For checking camber, the front/rear slant shouldn't matter. If you were checking caster (which involves taking camber measurements with the wheels turned), it would.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #42
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I just switched yesterday from my rims (weighed in at 39 pounds), to my stock (weighed in at 30-31pounds).
I noticed my steering wheel is now turned just a bit to the right, yet the car drives straight, so what gives with the slight difference in the wheel?

I also noticed with my shitty roads that I no longer feel the bumps as much as my 205-45/17. But my shocks are dead!
After lowering my wheel was also crooked permanently. Car still drove straight though. An alignment fixed the problem.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #43
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
When I got my alignment done, I asked for -1"20' camber on the fronts, but the Technician said that is no good because the road is cambered, so having equal camber on both wheels causes the car to track crooked due to the slanting road surface. He recommended 30' off the driver side to compensate. I took his recommendation and it seems to be true.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 AM   #44
fmicle

30' plus or minus compared to the passenger side?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #45
Loren
What?

The road crown camber compensation bit is BS. Does EVERY lane you drive on have a crown? The same amount of crown? In the same direction?

Really only relevant if you do most of your driving on fairly straight 2-lane highways that have a consistent crown. If you're on a 4-lane divided highway, you may have road camber in the opposite direction in the left lane vs. the right lane.

I started taking alignment seriously when I started autocrossing in 1995 and I've NEVER intentionally set the camber different on one side of the car vs. the other for any reason and I've NEVER had a car that wouldn't go straight down the road as a result of that.

If that notion were a fact, you'd find reference to it in the factory alignment specs. You won't. Left and right camber specs are always the same.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #46
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Thank you Loren.... I was thinking that myself in regard to the factory specification... it does not mention any of that..... The Tech must of been bullshitting..... oh well... next Alignment will be the same on both sides.

You are an encyclopaedia of experience and knowledge Loren.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #47
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoguy View Post
You are an encyclopaedia of experience and knowledge Loren.
+1 Suspension/alignment MASTER

And if I remember correctly, Loren posted the best (IMHO) header evaluation article, which made me get the DC Sports one as well
Old 12-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #48
Lafiro

Does this need to be done every time you change between winter tires on 15in to 17" wheels each year? Or its all based on the drop of the car?

I lowered the car and I dont think I have ever done the allignment in the last 3 years.

Maybe I should do it now, also, where should I go that will do a good thorough job?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #49
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Alignment after tire blowout and tire rotation

Hi all,

Glad to see so much knowledgeable ppl in this forum .
Alignment has always been a problem for me especially since most road conditions at average to poor where I live and alignment mechanics are idiots/jerks.

To get to the point, about a month ago it was raining and I hit a hole in the road, driver side, and the front tire blew out. it had a 1.5 inch long tear on the side. I pulled over and put the spare tire on (same tire as original). everything was fine with no tilts in the steering wheel and the car was not pulling to either side.

However, 10 days ago I rotated my tires as it says I should in the owners manual, the steering wheel became tilted to the left by 15 ~ 20 degrees and the car pulls very very slightly to the right.

when I rotated the tires, the mechanic said I don't need to balance the tires since they barely have 10,000 KM on them and are about 1 year old and look in good condition.

I would love any recommendations / advice you might have as to what to do or check.

helpful info:

- Car type: Sedan, 2008 model
- tire type: Bridgestone, RE080 185 R15 60
- milage: just less than 10,000 KM (6213.71 miles)
- Car age: 1year 4 months

If you need other info, please let me know.

I appreciate any help.
unclenefeesa is offline   Reply With Quote