Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
letsgohunting

Drives: 1300 yaris hatch
Motor replacement tips

Hey all,

My yaris was involved in an unfortunate event starring a retarded driver who thought it might be hot to shift into 1st instead of 3rd whilst redlining in 2nd. As such, the motor (2nz-fe - the 1.3 version) is toast.

I need to transplant the motor myself as I can't afford to pay half the price of the car to get a mechanic to do it. I've done a few conversions before, the last being an rb20det into a non turbo/auto nissan laurel - so I'm guessing this should be too hard.

Basically I'm asking if anyone has any advice or tips regarding taking a motor/box out and putting a new one in? From what I can see it's better to take it out the bottom and lift the car over it, and from what I gather from workshop manuals, the best way to disconnect the motor and box is on the whole lower subframe before lowering it out.

Any comments or advice or tips or anything?

Greatly, greatly appreciated!
letsgohunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
letsgohunting

So no-one here knows how to or has any experience with engine removal at all?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
there are a few, but you'd get a better response at http://www.microimageonline.com

Have you thought of swapping something more interesting in?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I did a replacement engine in my 2000 Celica GT-S. I just got a used engine to swap in, downloaded the manual for the car, and went from there. Nothing special on that car. I can't imagine anything special needs to be done on the Yaris if you are just swapping the same engine back in. I know for my Celica, I re-used the bolt-on stuff from the original engine (sensors, manifolds, accessories, etc) to make sure it all worked properly.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
im sure you can get the engine out from the top if you take off all of the cowling, wipers, motor, etc....should be part of the how-to in swapping springs...

you'll just want to be careful not to bang the bottom of the windsheild when pulling out the engine....make sure the exhaust manifold is off
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
letsgohunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
I did a replacement engine in my 2000 Celica GT-S. I just got a used engine to swap in, downloaded the manual for the car, and went from there. Nothing special on that car. I can't imagine anything special needs to be done on the Yaris if you are just swapping the same engine back in. I know for my Celica, I re-used the bolt-on stuff from the original engine (sensors, manifolds, accessories, etc) to make sure it all worked properly.
Yeah cheers - main thing for me is the front wheel drive hurdle - just looks so much weirder than a north/south rwd layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
there are a few, but you'd get a better response at http://www.microimageonline.com

Have you thought of swapping something more interesting in?
Thanks, I'll have a try on that forum!
I wish I could put something more interesting in it - but I'm in Australia and the best thing would be a 1nz... I just don't really want to be swapping anything else besides the motor - the car was originally bought so I didn't have to stuff around with fixing cars like some of my previous imports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
im sure you can get the engine out from the top if you take off all of the cowling, wipers, motor, etc....should be part of the how-to in swapping springs...

you'll just want to be careful not to bang the bottom of the windsheild when pulling out the engine....make sure the exhaust manifold is off
Cheers for the info - I'll check it out!

Tags
2nz-fe, engine, motor replacement, yaris