Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #19
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Throttle response is completely dependent on ECU programming. Same goes for Auto tranny shift points. I've done reprogramming of Sienna's (a while ago now) ECUs because of shift problems. Transmission would shift too fast from R to D and cause a clunck.

The new Prius is a perfect example of ECU controlled throttle response. You have Normal mode, Pwr mode, Eco mode and EV mode.

In Pwr mode the car has lots of power with very little input, as where Eco mode the power only come on in say, the last half of the peddle travel.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #20
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
sick, someone else from ontario!! ^^ lol, today on my way home i decided to actually put my pedle to the floor..... and iunno if anyone else has noticed this but the last 1/8 of the travel holds so much power!! i am going out again soon and will test if to find out for sure. this drive by wire is a pain.....

hte other problem i have been having is the cutch changes places for grabbing.....and its not being abused, i mean it will randomly grab lower or higher.... depends what mood the car is in..... i find my car (blueberry) has been very grumpy lately too. lol
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
sick, someone else from ontario!! ^^ lol, today on my way home i decided to actually put my pedle to the floor..... and iunno if anyone else has noticed this but the last 1/8 of the travel holds so much power!! i am going out again soon and will test if to find out for sure. this drive by wire is a pain.....

hte other problem i have been having is the cutch changes places for grabbing.....and its not being abused, i mean it will randomly grab lower or higher.... depends what mood the car is in..... i find my car (blueberry) has been very grumpy lately too. lol
LOL, yeah I'm just east of Oshawa.

The Yaris being a economy car the pedal would be programmed to only give you most of the power near the end of travel.

The only thing I can think of with the clutch is the cold or damp weather. Mine's like that too when it gets damp out, or has sat in the rain for a couple of days. I find the best way to warm it up (witch seems to solve the problem) is to let it out very slowly while the idle is still high without touching the gas to pull out of the driveway.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
yaris2010RS

i understand since it is hydrolic the temp makes a difference but i find in traffic after the car is long warm it will randomly grab lower, then next take off it grabs higher..... and its not little diffferences either, i mean grab maybe half inch to grab 31/4 inch of travel
Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #23
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Mine has no freeplay however I can confirm that the Yaris is strange to engage. Having driven everything from a 21 speed semi to a huge farm tractor to hi-po cars to econo boxes over my driving years I did find the Yaris a new challenge to engage and pull from a stop smoothly. I stalled occasionally as well. Since adding the TRD exhaust the stalls have stopped. Being able to hear the engine rev's does help. Perhaps it added a bit more low end torque too???
In stock form it's nearly silent and completely drowned out by stereo and street noise.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
yaris2010RS

okay, this weekend its going in...today on my way home from school and for a while it wouldn't disengage the clutch completly. i was grinding all the way home.... hopefully i might be able to fit in a service for wednesday...stupid busy life....
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
knowmercy

Drives: Blk 3door
Instead of bumping the throttle you just need to hold your foot on the pedal for a second or two. I dunno why you folks can't seem to figure out how a throttle pedal works.
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #26
yaris2010RS

naw man, it has a dead zone, its not lag, i've tried.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #27
advocate

Drives: car
There's a small dead zone.

Fix it:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/BLI...s-BL-10407.htm
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
yaris2010RS

lmfao!! $$330 US, nvm, i gonna live with it. lol. doesn't bother me that much. lol. i've gotten use to it and dont get me wrong, i have been driving my car properly and can take off smooth but the clutch moving around on me really messes with my rhythem. gas dead zone was awkward at beginning..... lol
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #29
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

If it makes you guys feel any better, I've driven the new Corolla and it's no different than you've described.