Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lynn View Post
That wouldn't be bad then. What do they do in winter when it gets to freezing temps?
My ponds have about 4" of ice on them now. I have a little heating device on the koi pond that keeps an open hole in the ice to allow the gas exchange (oxygen in and waste gases out) to occur. The koi actually stay somewhat active under the ice.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #20
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Hibernate, mostly. We have ponds here with koi in them all year round. The trick is having the pond deep enough, and an air pump helps. We got down to -18C this winter (zero F), which is normal.

I think most people would be surprised at what one can get away with here. Again, I like stuff like calendula, hollyhocks, and because it re-seeds itself, and I have patches of columbine all around the yard. My neighbour has a little greenhouse, and runs all kinds of annuals and perennials; what a showplace! She's 76, by the way, shows you that it doesn't take a lot of effort, really...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote