Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Red face Thinking about a new sound System

Well i got bored and went to the MTX

Tell me what you think, i may be daydreaming of this now but little by little ill get it

Front Speakers Thunder Axe Separates TX6001

Rear Speakers Thunder Dome-Axial TDX6903

Subs x 2 Thunder7510-44

Front Stage Amp Thunder TA7804

Sub Amp Thunder TA7801

Im still considering a double din touchscreen or even a carpc ( i can make them)
maybe something like this

as i said just a wish list (for now)

What you guys things?

Last edited by Arkhangel; 02-24-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I say go for it. I'm a big believe in getting all your parts from one source. Good audio companies design their components to sound good together.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, i run MTX subs in my car. they hit hard, but lack clarity and definition. if you want punch, the relabled audiovox subs do the trick, if you are after sound quality, i would go with a differant set up. i have never been a big fan of MTX components, because for a few bucks more you can get infinity stuff, and it blows the MTX stuff away.

I dunno, I mean, its true, companies design their sound systems to work well together, but, they all have flaws, so running just one brand, you will often get the inherant flaws they have.

for example, while I love infinity component speakers, I do not like their subs. their subs dont have enough punch for me. I heard someones car at the local stereo shop, it had 6 inifnity referance 10's....my two MTX 8000's had the same percivable volume. they lacked the clarity, but, they had the same "punch".

i suppose this is why my car is a hodge podge of differant audio brands. it may not be fanboy cool, but it sounds nice :)
Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If you can't get those MTX component tweets to scream...you're doing something wrong.

As for the subs... *meh* ...the enclosure and install is 90% of the fight. If you can't get them to sound right, you're not a smart person.

Give me whatever brand woofer, I could care less. It WILL sound good after I'm done installing it.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Arkhangel

Im currently Running 2 x MTX RT10-04, They sound Better then what i expected so i think the new ones will do the trick :D

I have Clarion 6 1/2 in front , Some cheapo tweeters
Clarion 6x9 in the back, Power Acoustic Amps , Planet Audio Pre-amp
Will post some pics later today what the enclosures look like, im pretty sure the new subs will run in them but id like to make some custom boxes in the trunk
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Spades
The Hated One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
If you can't get those MTX component tweets to scream...you're doing something wrong.

As for the subs... *meh* ...the enclosure and install is 90% of the fight. If you can't get them to sound right, you're not a smart person.

Give me whatever brand woofer, I could care less. It WILL sound good after I'm done installing it.
well, i am gratefull for you calling me stupid, but your ears are just a perception...just as mine are. I haven't heard a higher-end MTX subwoofer that didn't have ample hit even in a small or poorly designed enclosure. however, I stand by my statement that MTX components are inferior to some of the other manufacturers in the same price range. If I wanted my tweeters to "scream" at me, I would buy cheap-o Pyramid components and put 500 watts to them. personally, I prefer crisp highs and clarity...but thats just me i guess.

p.s. I never said I couldnt get my subs to sound right...did I? I said they lacked the definition and sound quality of a higher end more expensive sub. my box was built around the data sheet for the MTX thunder 8000 titanium spun subwoofers...look in my garage profile.
End of the day dude, if you know how to build a box, you can make cheap sound good, but if you are running sh-t, there is only so much you can do to improve the sound quality. go make a box for a roadmaster subwoofer, then a box for a JL audio subwoofer...listen to the sound. if you can't tell any differance...at that point it becomes obvious who the smart person is.

EDIT: hey, if you make a custom box for the trunk, there is a plastic panel seperating the trunk from the foam seat backings. if you remove that, you get several inches of space. my box is huge, but because i lopped out the panel and made the box tall, i have the massive amount of sealed air space my drivers needed, but i kept over half my trunk. also, I woundn't use 6x9's in the back. I am going to be building a plate to house some 4" speakers, and a port from the trunk to allow more bass into the cab of the car.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Again...

I could care less. If you can't make that sub sound better...it's all you. If you have to live on the factory enclosure specs, then by all means, use a different woofer. But to sit there and say you must have a more expensive woofer to have quality sound. Sure, that is your limitation, not mine.

Stupid? No. Limited in the scope of your imagination, yes. You WOULD be stupid if you didn't take some time to look into what I'm referring to. If the woofers lack definition and detail and one cannot figure out how to improve the sound, keeping the enclosure the same, then yes...go buy an expensive woofer.

As for tweeters "screaming"...perhaps that was the wrong word. Would sing be a better word? Even if I want to say scream...I'll say scream with no distortion and absolute clarity. He he...I've got something for you. Again, it's NOT about the speaker itself. There's more than the speaker in the overall idea of sound quality. But please, continue to think the cure for crappy sound is simply about the speakers themselves.

You'll blow a truckload of money and I'll have just as good sound (if not better) and save myself the burden of spending that money. We do need to compare apples to apples for the most part though. There are MANY cheaper woofers than a JL W7 (for example) that will sound at LEAST as good. We do have to remember that louder is not necessarily better. That said, we can go side to side, you take your $600 W7, I'll take a woofer that is at LEAST half the price and have it sound just as good if not superior.

I'm sitting here smirking...It seems that there are several things that I know that you don't...unfortunately. Please, spend the time to know why.

The reason for my smugness is in my signature (plus a few more proverbial aces up the sleeve).

Honestly.

Here's my edit: Spades, we should get together and jam with an idea session about SQ. We're both in Oregon here. This is a friendly idea.

Last edited by sqcomp; 02-26-2009 at 01:55 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Spades,

To be fair...I totally understand what you're saying about buying into quality. This is a late model Audi A4. The short list of equipment is a McIntosh MCC406M, a single Image Dynamics ID10", and a Hybrid Audio Legatia 2 way set. The Legatias were put into the stock locations for continuity and vehicle resale value. The woofer is in a glassed sealed enclosure in the left side of the trunk. The install goal was to have as clean and stealthy of an install as possible. Here's the proof in my last install of what you CAN actively see:

Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
McIntosh amp...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

It is indeed. I apologize about the quality of the photo, it was taken with my cell phone. The picture of the face was take on my back looking up to the side trying to get the entire amplifier in the shot.

Some have poo-pooed me for mounting this amplifier upside down. They're saying, "Oh, it'll get too hot." Actually, no it doesn't. The fan cooling keeps it nice and cool. It's even running at 2 Ohm mono off the last two channels for the IDQ woofer. We don't know how many watts it's actually able to put out on those channels. The factory spec is 500 Watts at 2 Ohms but...McIntosh is underrating that. With the sub lifting the rear deck carpeting off the frame, the 5-6 channel meter actually only reads 40 Watts of peaking output.

We'll get a more comfortable reading when we put the McIntosh meter module in the glove box where the factory disc changer goes. It's actually a pretty sweet spot for the module. You close the glove box and you have NO idea it's there. Nice, clean, and stealth.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Spades
The Hated One

you are missing my point. no matter how well you design an enclosure you will ALWAYS be limitied by the materials and machnical set up of the driver. its the same with amps. sure, they are all built around the same prinicple, but the quality of parts and the arrangement of those parts will determine the output of any piece of audio gear.

look, i have seen some tang band subs that should not have been able to sound the way they did when they were put in a well designed box, but, in the end, the drivers are still made of cheaper materials and they have their limitations.

you can critique my knowlege of enclosures all you want...doesnt change anything. i talked with serveral people i know in the area that build custom boxes for car stereo shops to get ideas on building the box...between the data sheet,research, and information I gathered from other people, I built a box that is very efficient and sounds good as well.

look, you are just one of those people that likes to pretend you know more than everyone else, and instead of trying to explain what you do that makes you better than the rest of us, you prefer to call us stupid and talk about how awsome you are.

so, if you ever want to try to argue with something i have stated in the future, try listing why you think i am wrong and save the stupid comments untill AFTER I refuse to listen to reason or accept anyones belief but my own.

I enjoy debates, however, I dont waste time listening to people that talk about smirking in a car audio forum. smirk on dude...i wont bother posting anymore in this thread...i have the feeling you are the type of guy who is going to break out "your mom jokes" and other gradeschool insults when someone doesn't belive that you are a god amoung mortals as you protray yourselfto be.

laters...have fun in delusion land.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 02-26-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
We don't know how many watts it's actually able to put out on those channels. The factory spec is 500 Watts at 2 Ohms but...McIntosh is underrating that.

McIntosh makes GOOD STUFF, but you never see it out here on the west coast. People seem to prefer other/cheaper stuff.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
I woundn't use 6x9's in the back. I am going to be building a plate to house some 4" speakers, and a port from the trunk to allow more bass into the cab of the car.

SMART MOVE.

A port/ports in the rear deck makes a big difference with the bass.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Everyone will always have their own personal preference with brands/components, but there are so many companies making car audio components now, it's easy to create a decent sounding system for less money if you shop around and stay away from the big "brand name" stuff.

Alpine, Kicker, JL, Infinity, Eclipse, MB Quart, etc... are all overpriced.
You are paying for the name.
These companies make great stuff, but much of the cost is just for the name.

Check out the deals on: www.sonicelectronix.com

You can build a complete system that rocks for around $800 total, if you don't mind going with brands like Lightning Strike, SPL, Cerwin Vega, etc.

Check out the Kenwood KAC-8104D sub amp.
It puts out 500watts RMS @ 2-ohms, and costs $129.

Combine that amp with a "Lightning Audio Strike VC2 S4.10.VC2" 10" sub and you got your bass covered.
That sub sells for $65, and they have sealed boxes for $20!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Quote:
You'll blow a truckload of money and I'll have just as good sound (if not better) and save myself the burden of spending that money. There are MANY cheaper woofers than a JL W7 (for example) that will sound at LEAST as good. We do have to remember that louder is not necessarily better. That said, we can go side to side, you take your $600 W7, I'll take a woofer that is at LEAST half the price and have it sound just as good if not superior.
EXCELLENT POINT.

The JL w7 woofer is really nice, but it is VERY expensive.
You can find MUCH cheaper subs that sound just as good.
I would never waste money on a JL sub, when there are so many other choices available.

I used to like the Alpine Type-R subs, but they aren't even a good deal anymore.

I heard a pair of Planet Audio 10's awhile back, and they sounded better than many other brands I heard, including JL's.

The "installation" makes a huge difference, so it is always possible the Planet Audio's were in their optimum environment, and the other subs were not.
But still.... it's all about the "bang for the buck".

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

That's too bad spades...I was being friendly.

Cocky? Yes...with you. I'm only a waste of oxygen when what I'm saying is untrue. I'm always open to discussion. If you'd like to set me straight, I'd invite it.

*after going for a nice little 3 mile run, thinking about my original response , I restrain*

Spades, my good sir. Please don't confuse my responses with hostility. I do not truly think that I know more than all others out there. If indeed you believe I am a "waste of oxygen", that is your great smelling opinion. Please, continue supporting your brand biases and open wallet. I can see that no system that costs less than yours could EVER sound better. I of course have NO experience with expensive equipment and hands on installation. I humbly beg your forgiveness and ask for blessing to continue purchasing less expensive equipment so that I might be ruled by the lords of all that is sound quality...such as yourself.

...Hey spades. Pound it out your porthole. Show up at an IASCA SQ event, show me your trophy and I may ease off my soapbox. Maybe. That depends on how far behind me in the class rankings that you are. Of course, you're going to have to actually install a system that can pass the technical review of the judges first...

Mantis-

You'd think that McIntosh is an unknown brand out here. Funny though, I have been involved and know of quite a few McIntosh pieces installed into everyday vehicles in the Portland area.

Last edited by sqcomp; 02-26-2009 at 09:15 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
Arkhangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
I woundn't use 6x9's in the back. I am going to be building a plate to house some 4" speakers, and a port from the trunk to allow more bass into the cab of the car.
but would that place the speakers above the stock position of the 6x9?
i thought of making a port to the cab to let more bass in, right behind the flip down arm rest, Mostly i like to keep the interior stock dont want to flash around that i do have a system installed;)
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Ark,

From what Spades was saying, he seems to be referring to a plate speaker. You can still put the stock speaker covers over the plate setup. It'll look stock.

For better imaging, eliminate the rear speakers all together and concentrate on the stereo signal in the front and the subwoofer(s) in the trunk.