Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
escotric

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Angry Scariest thing

I might be trippin but about 5 minutes ago I was on the computer and a screen said you should download this for a virus scan and I clicked no and later on it popped a new screen and said it is recommended to so I exited it and a error box went tup and said "w can steal your identity". I i was like fuck that i noticed my google bar on my mozilla type it out so i exited the firefox through task manger and it made the same error beginning "w can steal your identity"

I'm scared.
escotric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
If you don't have an antivirus software installed, google avast antivirus. They're a free software. Download it and run a FULL/COMPLETE computer scan after downloading the latest virus definitions. Check your bank account every day/hour to see if any activity is occurring. Same with your credit cards.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
escotric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
If you don't have an antivirus software installed, google avast antivirus. They're a free software. Download it and run a FULL/COMPLETE computer scan after downloading the latest virus definitions. Check your bank account every day/hour to see if any activity is occurring. Same with your credit cards.
Thanks for the quick response. How long will I have to keep checking at the banks for and how were they able to do that with mozilla?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by escotric View Post
Thanks for the quick response. How long will I have to keep checking at the banks for and how were they able to do that with mozilla?
No problem. I'd check it for at least a week to be on the safe side. Hackers can do anything. Google Chester Bennington of Linkin Park + hacker. See the havoc she (the hacker) caused him and his family. My friend's identity was stolen too, and the FBI (or someone like that) kept on contacting him.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Do you keep information on your computer that can be used for identity thief? Do you go to sites and leave personal information? If the answer is yes, then they can do damage.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

I make sure my virus definitions are up to date, and try to run a scan every other day (that's with avast). For my expired Norton, I run a scan once a week, and a quick scan when I have the time. I don't really like Norton that much since it bogs the computer down. Avast doesn't, or at least is not noticeable on computer usage. Heck, avast even has a constant scan running, and knows if the website has a virus. It's running right now for me, been so for 1 day and 11 hours.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Identity theft can also occur from other sources besides your computer. A recent case in Colorado identity and SSN were taken from hospital records. These were used to open new credit cards and the victims didn’t realize their credit was ruined for months.

We were able to put a credit security freeze through the 3 credit bureaus (TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian) on our identity’s. Basically no one including my wife and I can open up new credit without first unlocking the freeze. Once a year I’ll test it and apply for a department store card while shopping. It gets rejected on the spot. It was free to sign up for the credit freeze in Colorado, however, other states might charge.

This won’t help if my current card or check book gets stolen.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
I had my SSN stolen from my University way back in 1991. Some scumbag opened an AMEX card on it and went to town.

I only learned about it some time later, when AMEX started asking me when I was going to pay it off.

You want some fun? Have the "Fraud Division" of a Major Credit Card company call you and interrogate you about a debt you never knew existed.

Later they sent me a note saying, "We don't think it's you, don't sweat it". I called 'em back and asked who it was.

They said, "We don't want to be liable if you do something to them".

I said, "Yeah, considering the grief that this has cost me that's a reasonable concern."

What I did not tell them was that this clown cost me a lot of grief over the years with loans and other stuff. I actually, for a passing moment, wondered if I could hurt this person and escape undetected. Shameful thing to admit but there it is.

Free Advice - check your credit reports early and often. IF you think it's a problem put a "Fraud Block" on it. A fraud block will inconvenience you sometimes but it prevents scumbags from taking you for a ride.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
dont ever click on popups telling you your computer is at risk, infected or anyother crap. this is a browser hijack virus and it will give you Vundu virus which is a huge pain in the butt to remove. get yourself AVG Antivirus , and Spybot Search&Destroy.
Usually it's good practice not to click ANY Modal Dialog box while your browser is open.

In one of my meaner moments I wonder if it's possible to put together an International Syndicate, funded through contributions, that would send teams of thugs to the homes of Virus writers and scumbags in developing nations.

When you consider how poor some of these places are and how cheap life is it stands to reason that paying for Contracts in their home countries would keep these clowns on the rim of terror, and might make them behave themselves.

For a measly $20.00 a year you too can help to pay to have a virus writer or phiser's legs broken, their computers smashed or their homes burnt to the ground.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I have seen some pretty convincing scams from pop ups. There are some pop ups that look just like your installed anti-virus and in a tired state you could click on it.

Computer thieves should be shot. Quick, cheap and effective!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
escotric

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Do you keep information on your computer that can be used for identity thief? Do you go to sites and leave personal information? If the answer is yes, then they can do damage.
Nope. Just my resumes with my address on it. I'll be checking up on this though.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
While I doubt a hacker actually accessed or took control of your system, you definitely may have had your browser hijacked. Here's what I use, and I've never had any problems:

NoScript. Prevents scripts/codes from running within Firefox.
KeyScrambler. Encrypts everything you type, preventing keyloggers.
Comodo Firewall. It's free and will tell you every time any program accesses the internet and when a program tries to install something.
FoxTor/ Foxproxy. Proxy programs that help you surf anonymously, and more importantly, inaccessibly.
Avast and Spybot S&D were already mentioned and good tools.
Internet Kill-switch. Many modern computers have an internet on/off switch, but if you don't, you can find a ton of programs that will. Dell's WiFi controller should do the job.

Finally, don't open emails or messages from people you aren't expecting something from.
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarswiss View Post
Finally, don't open emails or messages from people you aren't expecting something from.
There was a real convincing phishing email sent by someone pretending to be my credit union. It said that the account had been compromised and to log on to verify information. It didn’t have the secure sign on. That was the only tip off that it was a scam. If you get an email from your bank, sign on through your normal methods and not by clicking on a link.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
escotric

UPDATE*

Yesterday I received a check in the mail for $1900 from a phony company. It has the word "sketch" all over it and not planning to cash it out. I later on received a call from a creepy lady in Maryland wanting me to go on my computer to receive a message regarding a job position from her boss. I basically said nope and hung up. Then this morning I received a text message through Yahoo Messenger regarding if I have had received the check yet. Didn't reply back.

So I guess I am a victim of a scam. Only thing they have is may mailing address and my cell phone #.

Questions.

What should I be worried about now?
I have turned down the check and declined the phone call.

What should I do?
Already reading articles about scammers. And now know how they could be spotted.

How can they be traced.
Been reading that they go through tunnel networks and phony IP adresses
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
you guys should read this. (i'm actually refering to the OP)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5123414AAVyhjm

the thing is that.. if ANYTHING that goes antivirus blah blah needs update, or download to fix blah blah. don't click anything :( It will just make things worse.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Fuck popups and spyware. Don't click anything.

Sometimes even anti virus won't clean everything out. You need to go into your registry and manually delete some remnants.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
escotric, just cut to the chase and call the FBI.

http://sanfrancisco.fbi.gov/
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
escotric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
escotric, just cut to the chase and call the FBI.

http://sanfrancisco.fbi.gov/
Thats the thing. Do i really need to?