Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #217
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
I had to do this too, in my case I took a ball peen hammer and bashed down the alignment bumps, and then I slotted out the holes so that I could slide my HU further back so that it is almost flush with the new trim - slightly proud. It looks much better this way. It did take some back and forth to get it exactly how I wanted it, but damn it looks sweet.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #218
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
This pic should work for now.

It may have been blind luck that I was able to achieve the exact amount of movement required for my JVC HU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock%20Radio%20Mounting%20Brackets.jpg (66.5 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by WeeYari; 05-21-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #219
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Thanks guys. I'll give this a try when I get the new trim piece.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #220
IsLNdbOi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
This pic should work for now.

It may have been blind luck that I was able to achieve the exact amount of movement required for my JVC HU.

So the way you mounted it, the HU is attached to each bracket with only one screw?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #221
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
So the way you mounted it, the HU is attached to each bracket with only one screw?
No, 2 screws in each bracket.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #222
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Received it two days ago but doesn't work with my two single din setup. The radio & the bottom cover pocket are 182mm. I could cut the plastic to get the radio to open but as in the picture, the bottom cover is wider so that wouldn't open. So now I may have to get rid off it, if i can't think of anything after the weekend its gone. I wanted one so badly and i can't use it now. Here a pic of my setup so if anyone else has the same the 180mm radio trim wouldn't work.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #223
IsLNdbOi

Seems like none of the Pioner / Pioneer Premier head units fit properly in this double din trim piece. I wish Pioneer would create proper double / single din width head units.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 AM   #224
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
It will fit if you trim the double DIN trim accordingly. I have the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD which has the same weird face trim piece as yours and I made it work perfectly after a few trips back and forth to the garage to use the dremel tool.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #225
IsLNdbOi

Trimmed mine as well. A little bit at a time. Had to trim so much to get my P8000BT to fit that by the time it was trimmed enough, you could see the jagged edges I "trimmed" using my dremel. I posted a picture earlier in this thread.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #226
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
Received it two days ago but doesn't work with my two single din setup. The radio & the bottom cover pocket are 182mm. I could cut the plastic to get the radio to open but as in the picture, the bottom cover is wider so that wouldn't open. So now I may have to get rid off it, if i can't think of anything after the weekend its gone. I wanted one so badly and i can't use it now. Here a pic of my setup so if anyone else has the same the 180mm radio trim wouldn't work.

How about pushing the headunit in deeper, per WeeYari's instructions above? The HU should work that way. The question is if the door on the pocket will fit within the trim.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #227
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
By the way, I have an extra set of brackets.

If someone doesn't have to tools, or doesn't understand the grinding process to move the HU deeper, so the trim piece will fit with wider HUs, I can modify the set that I have and ship it to you in exchange for your set.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #228
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Still doesn't work due to the cover it the same size as the pionner unit. Because of pionner stupid din size i had to trim the double din metra brackets so it could fit. Guess i'm stuck with the 200mm opening. Unless i change the cover pocket to an open version. But then i'll have items out in the open which i don't like.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #229
IsLNdbOi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
By the way, I have an extra set of brackets.

If someone doesn't have to tools, or doesn't understand the grinding process to move the HU deeper, so the trim piece will fit with wider HUs, I can modify the set that I have and ship it to you in exchange for your set.

How do you grind the positioning stubs? Will a dremel w/ a sanding head do it?

All I have to do is grind down all of the positioning stubs on the sides of the bracket that face the head unit, right?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #230
WeeYari

Quote:
How do you grind the positioning stubs? Will a dremel w/ a sanding head do it?

All I have to do is grind down all of the positioning stubs on the sides of the bracket that face the head unit, right?
I used a file to remove the stubs. Dremel will work as well. The metal is very soft and easy to remove.

Yes, all you have to do is eliminate all 6 stubs on the HU side of the bracket.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #231
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I used one of those big spinning stone griding wheel things.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #232
IsLNdbOi

Finally got it in. For my Pioneer I used my dremel to grind down all six of the positioning stubs. Then I moved the brackets forward until the top front hole was over the front-most screw hole for Toyota mounting points on the Pioneer HU. The top rear hole is now over the hole where the top rear positioning stub used to be.

In this mounting position, I use one of the original mounting bracket screws for the front hole and a short, self-tapping screw for the rear hole (the one that used to be for the positioning stub):

This is the best I could get it. The front bottom edge of the HU is flush / right up against the bottom edge of the new trim piece. The front top edge of the HU is further back so there's a small gap between that top edge of the HU and the top edge of the new trim piece. I'll have to cut the top edge of the stick on bezel that the Pioneer HU came with so I can stick that to the top edge of the front of the HU. Should take care of that gap.

With this new trim piece and the way I had to mount the HU, the HU now sits further back so it's more recessed. I like how this looks.

Scott, I still need another one of these trim pieces. One of my friends has asked me to install a new HU in his Yaris and he wants me to get one of these for him. Please keep me on the list for your next possible group buy.

Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 05-26-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #233
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
^nice pic. find your screw lol!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #234
WeeYari

Quote:
Scott, I still need another one of these trim pieces. One of my friends has asked me to install a new HU in his Yaris and he wants me to get one of these for him. Please keep me on the list for your next possible group buy.
One is for sale here in Toronto.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18204