Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Silly question? Does running higher PSI cause more wear-and-tear on suspension?

I increased the PSI in my tires a bit and, of course, the ride feels a bit more harsh. That doesn't bother me. However, I started to wonder if the stiffer ride puts more wear-and-tear on the suspension components? Any thoughts? If so, is the increased wear-and-tear anything to be at all concerned about? Thanks.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

Drives: 2007 Vitz HB
i would think it would cause less ware on the tires because there is less friction holding back the mass for movement.
Fidelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
You pose a very good question. I run higher PSI and have noticed that the ride isn't as smooth as it once was. That could be from natural age and wear and tear but I do wonder if the increased force on the struts and shock absorbers in the back caused by the tires not being more of a cushioning? You would think it has some effect but sometimes physics and common sense are two different things.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think the suspension would have to move a bit more as the "squish" of the tire is part of the suspension and thus the harsher ride. I would also think that the small amount of extra movement isn't going to be a noticeable difference in the wear of the suspension. I think the real drawback to be concerned with is the harsher ride than anything.

as for tire wear, as long as you don't exceed the maximum sidewall pressure of the tire, you're good. that is much different from the 32psi that the manufacturer recommends. most max pressures are around the 45-51psi range. there again, printed on the tire.

several people have said that you will notice more wear in the center of the tire but remember these are steel belted tires and steel doesn't like to expand. I have honestly never seen a tire wear in the middle. I have been running at max sidewall pressure (or there abouts) for around 5 years now on various vehicles.

all that being said, go with what feels right. not physically being there, I can't say what will or won't help your car. generally speaking, you get a little bit of a mileage bump by increasing tire pressure.

also, here is a little thing I like to pass around from the hypermiler community...

http://www.gassavers.org/article.php...ps-to-save-gas
Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
matti

Thank you. I've been running at 44psi (max pressure listed on tire sidewall) as opposed to 33psi (rating stamped on inside of door). The ride is certainly more harsh, but it's not too bad. Especially if it gives me better gas mileage!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
The car will likely develop rattles over the course of time.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Eli Lilly

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
It'll wear the tires uneven and affect traction also (but neither to any great extent). Proper tire pressure is based on the weight riding on the tires. The pressure on the sidewall is the pressure required for the tire's maximum load rating. The doorjamb value is the inflation that will make the tire "spread out" (for lack of a better term) across the road properly, given the car's weight. If you contacted the tire manufacturer and asked for an inflation chart, and plugged in the weight of the car, you'd find that you'll get the same value printed on the car's doorjamb.

-E
Eli Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Yup , tires are considered part of the suspension . Here is that answer at GOSS' Garage of Motorweek , http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...s_ride_quality .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
matti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
The car will likely develop rattles over the course of time.
lol, my car has had a few little rattles since day 1.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Hey please please please post your threads in the proper category! I've been moving at least 5 or more threads a day to the proper categories. I've moved it for you but PLEASE next time post in the correct spot.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
#1 cause of premature tire wear is improper inflation, over inflation wears the center of the tread, under inflation wears the outside tread.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I keep my Firestone FR710s at 38 psi (after trying quite a few different levels). I like the firm ride, yet they don't feel like 'bricks' unless closer (than 38) to the max 44 PSI stated on the tire. I just put a second set of 4 on and I got 85,009 miles out of the first set of 4 and could have squeezed more. The wear (at 85,009 miles) was virtually the same for each tire. I was good about rotating them, but I wouldn't say I was religious about it.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote