Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
ptadam22

Drives: Acura TSX
Help me Decide - Yaris or Scion xa?

I currently own a 95 e36 m3, which is an amazingly fun car. However, with a car like that it is often a love have relationship depending on what needs to be fixed and what breaks. I average about 22 mpg with premium so I am ready to make the switch to a newer, more reliable, and more economical car.

I have narrowed it down to the scion xa and the yaris, but they seem very similar so it is difficult for me to decide. For those of you that may have looked into, or tested both, what swayed your decision? I am trying to budget about $8k so with that in mind would I get more from one or the other? I used to have 2 miatas so I definitely can enjoy and appreciate small lightweight underpowered cars as long as they are a little sporty and have a little fun factor in the handling department. Does the Yaris clearly get better average mpg compared to the scion? Has anyone bought a salvaged one with pictures and receipts proving the work that was done? Thanks for all your help in advance.
ptadam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Are you looking for a liftback or sedan? Either way you want the manual and not the slushbox. The slushbox sucks the F U N out of fun. This is of course in regards to the Yaris. If you are looking for opinions then you might also want to register on microimageonline.com also since it s a forum for small cars in general:

http://www.microimageonline.com/forums/register.php

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
ptadam22

Drives: Acura TSX
I am looking to get a hatchback yaris not the sedan, and I would prefer a manual transmission for each. Would these cars be considered fun with some decent suspension items like shocks, springs, and sway bars?
ptadam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
yup...could be considered very fun especially if you boost via SC or turbo.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Apart from the packaging, they're virtually identical, though if I am not mistaken, the xA comes with a shorter final gear, so you'd have slightly better acceleration at the expense of higher RPMs at highway speeds. There are several xA owners here, I would wait and see until they chime in :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
both are great cars. I think the xA is based off of the older Toyota Echo, but I might be wrong.

The differences are small, and it is almost just as good to let the best deal make the decision for you.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
If I had the chance, I'd take my xA back over my Yaris in a heartbeat. It was just a better overall package...more leg-room, more features, better acceleration, better handling (at the slight expense of ride comfort) and better styling inside and out IMO.

Last edited by Billiam; 05-23-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
how was the mpg in the xA? ( i don't know jack about them)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
My wife had the 2005 xB before I bought the 2008 Yaris.
For driver comfort and ease of service the xB was slightly better. But the Yaris gets better mileage and was a better value for the purchase price.

For my long commute, the Yaris is a necessity and still fun. (even better with a rear sway bar added)
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
less gloveboxes on the xA though ;)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post
how was the mpg in the xA? ( i don't know jack about them)
Overall it was about the same...despite the the higher highway RPM. There is almost nothing compatible between the xA and the gen-1 Yaris aside from wheels....though the xA can accommodate wider rims and tires. Intakes, exhausts, suspension parts will not interchange. But there are parts-o-plenty out there for the xA. The biggest powertrain differences between the xA and Yaris are the xA's lower final drive (in the manual tranny) and it's cable controlled throttle.

If only I had known where I'd be...I'd still have that xA.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I had a similar debate back in March, I really liked the xA, but the Yaris left me cold.

However, I ended up finding a Yaris with all the options I wanted, newer, with lower miles than the xA I wanted to buy.

- Yaris has a less busy ride, especially sedans

- Yaris is geared taller and is less noisy on the freeway while returning better economy

- xA isn't available with cruise, unless you go aftermarket (strong deciding factor)

- Yaris is a newer, stiffer platform.

I remember being slightly turned off by how buzzy the xA was on the freeway; at around 75MPH it was turning nearly 4K RPM, IIRC.

The xA does have sharper steering, but the Yaris is the better handler; it's kinda soft but it grips better. The xA is fairly tall feeling, and some corners it can be a bit unsettling.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Also, the Yaris has better freeway economy. I get around 42, and the xA is a little worse.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
Billiam

I felt like my xA was the better handler, for sure. But that just my opinion.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
Asif
Asif

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Decision

no brainer, go for Vitz or Yaris. i have driven IST/Scion i does not compare, you will be much happier when you see your fuel bill at the end of the month.
Asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I already drive one boxy vehicle, a Jeep. I don't see how anyone can consider the "styling" of the xA to be better than the sleek lines of the Yaris is beyond me...
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
Billiam

Damn...old thread revival!

This was not a comparison between the iTs and the Yaris...but the xA and the Yaris. Having owned both...the xA was easily the better car.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I already drive one boxy vehicle, a Jeep. I don't see how anyone can consider the "styling" of the xA to be better than the sleek lines of the Yaris is beyond me...
^^^^^ This (but if a black interior was available in Billiam's vintage of xA, and Billiam's pics give a good indication of the quality/design/fit of the seats, I do like those seats better than any stock Yaris seats)
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote