Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Tweeters

Hey guys I am starting the system install....inherited most of the items from my tC stereo wise....so that is what I gotta use.

Deck is AVIC d3
Amp Elemental NINe.5
Sub 16Ov.2
Comps 6000s

If you have ever used those comps they have great sound,depth of the mids is very good....but the down side is the tweeters are very harsh....even at -3db on the crossover they are too much....we have tried them out of phase,mounted in the kicks,mounted in the A pillars....pretty much everything and the answer is stil the same .......they are too harsh and just won't do...

So I have about $50 -70 to spend and would like to find a nice tweeter....I want a clean sound they are going in the Apillars in pods and aimed whereever they sound right....but I need some ideas....I am great at researching but you guys are the Yaris owners and know what works....

sub is going to be pushed in a 1.6cu sealed box,by say 700-750w and the comps pushed to about 100w each,depends on what the car will hold without sounding weird.....trial and error in tuning....

All I know is it is gonna sound good,be a clean install....and if I am lucky last a while before I get bored with it....lol

Comps on door will go in pods as well....will build them this summer...for now mounted in the door

I also still have 2 more chanels I can bridge and run at 2ohm a small sub for more mid base at about 250-300w or two subs at 120w each....

I got a lot figured out...spent a good year doing so,got the skills to do the install......but just dont know what damn tweeter will sound good
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzinn 1 View Post

So I have about $50 -70 to spend and would like to find a nice tweeter....I want a clean sound they are going in the Apillars in pods and aimed whereever they sound right....but I need some ideas....I am great at researching but you guys are the Yaris owners and know what works....

..but just dont know what damn tweeter will sound good
I would save more $$$ say about $125, then go to DIYMA and look in th classified section or post (if you are a member already)

That is how I got my fancy HAT Legatia L1v2,

D.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Nice tweeters though very cheap. Some people advise them pointed toward the listener (quite narrow "range").

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=1679

Alternatively: a bit crazy idea re the ones you already have: try add a bulb (12V 10-15W) right before the tweeter.. not sure it will work though )) or you can try playing with resistors to lower the tweeters output level

http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/ush...12v_10w_g4.asp
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
bzinn 1

yep im i diyma membr.....i will need to go there and look around.....looks like my comps are froze from sitting.....gonna need to hook em up to my amp and see if i can break em free but i am thinkin they are junk....lol

any ideas on nice comps....under $200.....or 6.5s.....and tweeters....mix matched....

also today i realised my picture in my head of the size of a 15" sub and a 10.5x18x21" box are not the same.....it is gonna be loud....dear god its fricken huge
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I'm going to ask a few questions...hopefully we can get these answered before you go out and buy more tweeters.

You say that you've placed the tweeters in multiple locations. I didn't see anything about on or off axis placement. Pictures can help us as well.

Also, you say you've taken the crossover down 3dB? Your source should also have a measure of control. What crossover an EQ ability do you have off the deck...as well as the amplifier?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
bzinn 1

I may end up driving down to Portland around the 21st......I can bring the amp down so you can get an idea of what it can do....

it can run at 2,3,4,5 channels....

In the last install in the tC had the comps in the doors,running about 110w to each comp....that was on chanels 1 and 2

The tweeters ended up in the kicks in that install,it was the best location in a tC for them for some reason....but we have tried them in A pillars,kicks,door origianl tweeter location,aimed at windshield also worked well.

I can run 150w on each channel fo rthe comps.....looks like for now I am gonna toss in a cheap set of pioneers I got....so I can at least have music....the amp wires and deadening and sub and all that fun stuff is gonan take me a while....

What I think I am gonna end up doing is pod in each door with tweeter aimed god knows where...lol or in pillars in pod.....but for sure the 6.5 in pod in door...tweeter will find a place...lol

that leaves me chanels 3 and 4 that I can bridge or not bridge and run some 8" subs for some mid bass in boxes....think I can get about 100 w to each sub....so it should be pretty clean.

the amp then will run the 15 at 1ohm for around 750w max....I can get it to nearly 900w...but it clips on some of the music I was playing depending on teh song.....so 750 should keep me in a safe area

the amp is pretty user friendly....if the sub chanel was a bit more powerful it would be nice.....it is only rated to push 600w....but it goes to 800w and has room for more but I didnt want to burn it.....

I can tune each chanel pairs gains,xover points,it does pretty much everything...although I was not smart enough to not lose my bass knob...but i never used one ever anyway....lol...it is on....no need to turn it down...

I will get some photos tomorrow of it and through next week more pictures of the deadening.....sub and box should be here....

I am on vacation from the 19th to like the 29th....so I am gonna get a lot done on the basic mounting frame work......you know...your car been there last year....and still is not done huh....cant wait to hear it on st helens run....ya going......???
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
bzinn 1

So far this is the sub....lol.......god I hope it fits well....well in the car...lol

Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
bzinn 1

well I got lucky last night and picked up a set of DLS UP6 comps....they should be here via UPS on Monday.Should be a good sounding speakers when I get them in the pods and aimed....anyone used these and have any ideas on placement,meaning towards the center of the car,or to the persons chest area,head area....etc...

they cost me $125 plus shipping,always good to get a deal....lol
Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
bzinn 1

WEll I got the DLS installed......just did a basic crossover point on the amp and put the deck eq to flat and gave um about 65w each......

Honestly they are great sounding speakers,they for now are just mounted to the speaker ring on door panel,crossover bolted to panel and tweet mounted to door panel by cup holder,jsut for some general aiming of them while driving to get accustomed to how they sound and work in the car.

They go pretty loud,nice clean crisp mids,drum hits are are perfect,bass guitar is incredable,guitar and voice change with how the tweeters are aimed so I gonna have to get it right the first time...lol

I am still waiting on my sub box so for now I get to play with them till I can put some bass in the car.

If anyone has idea of how the pods should be let me know....they will be in the stock speaker on door panel location,but aimed...should I make them sealed or leave vents in back....how will either way effect sound?????

going for sq and loud,no processing,as I am just not to that point I understand all of it and how to use it...lol....rookie.

Right now I am jsut prepping to do the build as I wanna start and finish it in 6 weeks,mostly saturdays....that is whole interior built in car by myself....uhhhh
Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
bzinn 1

I think I am gonna pick up a set of those Hats as well,they seem like they are a pretty good speaker that is gettign good ratings on diyma.....for the cost I may as well try a set,I like to try differant stuff all the time...lol.....ADHD as an adult is awsome.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Of course I'm going to say yes they are a good speaker...so ignore me on that point.

Which HAT's are you looking at? Where are you thinking of getting them?

I can guide you correctly on HAT products. I want you to have the best buy possible considering all options. We also have the option of talking with the owner of the company if you'd like.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
bzinn 1

Are ya going on the st helens run.....if so I would love to pick your brain again on systems.....plus we need more yari to even out the scions...lol

I also need help on pods,basically need to know whether it matters if they are sealed or open vented to the back.they are going in the door locations mounted to the panels for future removal.

Not sure which HATs yet,any recomandations on which ones sound best in our cars and whatnot....lol
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

St Helen's Run...

I'm edging towards no at this point. I should have all the new equipment in the car by then BUT I work through the weekends. I might be able to arrange something IF I have my entire system in to show. I do have to have it ready for Calgary in August.

I'm undecided really at this point.

Recommendations on which HAT's? Well, that is a hard question. I'm running all SE line speakers...which is simply audio sex. The mid bass (L8SE) MSRP's for $999 a pair if that says anything.

Why not start with the Imagine line? That option would give you the option of going coaxial (in the doors) or going component and putting a tweeter in the A-pillar or sail panel.

Scott is coming out with the Mirus line which is even more affordable than the Imagine, but I'd say the Imagine is a good place to start. The other nice thing is that if you buy the Imagine set from a dealer, you can trade them in for guaranteed value towards the next HAT's you get. I don't know of any other speaker manufacturer that does that.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Can't go wrong with HAT, here I'm showing my L6s

D.