Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Killing off nannies - here we go!

Alright folks, it's time to start digging into my Yaris and customizing it a bitbut a few things are getting in the way, I believe.

First off, the ignition system. I'm pretty sure that my car has a chip in the key, because the hardware store key I had made as a 'spare' will crank the engine, but the fuel will never get delivered. This interferes with my plans of doing a self-remote-start. I'm guessing that without a key signal, the ECU won't feed the engine fuel even if the remote start mechanism is telling the car to start. How do I go about bypassing the feature?

Next, airbags. I never did like airbags, especially after an unintended deployment in a previous car (it literally just popped as I was driving down the road) me a fractured and 'bag rashed' arm. Furthermore, air bags are getting in the way of a few mods I plan on making soon. Like the seats. Those have airbags. The pillars. I'd at least like to debag the driver pillar to install a gauge pod without worrying about a bag popping and throwing a 2-pound piece of plastic in my face (i.e. the pod with gauges on it) if I ever end up rolling the car. The seats also have bags; I don't particularly fancy the shape, look or feel of the stock Yaris seats so out they go, and in come some Brides. But then the problem is the seats also have airbags. So that will result in 2 unplugged wires. Finally, the steering wheel. There's a leather-trimmed 3-spoke Nardi that is just calling my name, and guess what? It doesn't have an airbag, either. Preferably, I'd rather debag the entire car. I view them as a safety HAZARD as opposed to a safety FEATURE, just from the scare of unintended deployment. So that's gonna trigger warning lights. No sweat, I can just pull the bulbs. But will that throw any trouble codes? (CEL) If not, I needn't worry - but it's always safe to ask.

Let's leave judgement of one's safety out of this topic and follow the mindset that in the State of New Jersey, there is no laws against the removal of vehicle airbags. All input is appreciated - thanks!
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The airbag system has its own computer, with its own battery. Make sure you leave the car off with the main battery disconnected for at least 20 minutes before you attempt to disable or remove them.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Thanks a bunch Gar. You wouldn't know how to get around the 'rfid key lock', would you?

I KNOW it can be done; a local autosport shop was willing to offer a bypass - at the additional charge of ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS on top of the remote start's $449. Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote