Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Well I hate to burst your bubble but this particular forum wasn't made just for the Yaris elite... I joined here in 09 when I bought my Yaris. Knew very little about cars other than the basic stuff. I've learned a lot here, and most if it is by asking the n00b questions. There are those people here who just expect everyone to automatically know everything. IMO that's stupid. I came to this forum to learn, and I continue to do so. I'm not sorry that I made an exhaust and wheels thread. For me, those are big things. I'm still a n00b when it comes to cars, as they are a tertiary hobby for me. I bought the Yaris because it was the most economical vehicle on the market at the time, when I found out there were parts available for it I've done some work on it and it looks like a totally different vehicle now. I wouldn't have been able to do any of that if it wasn't for asking "dumb" questions about "how to do $carMod" and "what do I do now?"

My primary interest is firearms. I know a lot about those and have 30 something. I used to moderate HiPointFirearmsForums before it got bought out a couple months ago, and I've moved on to another forum now. While there are those of us rocking $3000 custom built suppressed AR-15s there are also those who don't know a Glock from a Lorcin. Forums are generally composed of all types of people from all levels of knowledge, and that's what gives the place diversity and keeps the hobby growing. If you want a cool kid club with you and 10 or whatever other 1337 car h4xx0rz then it's going to be just that. After a while there's nothing left to do and it gets boring. It may aggravate you when people ask n00b questions, but without n00bs there would be no growth. I doubt that even the grand wizard himself, CTScott, came forth from the womb with a multimeter and a soldering iron busting out ECUs.

Bit of a rant yes, but as a long time forumer stuff like this just kinda grates on my nerves.
hehe guns rule
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #38
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I didn't really read this thread, but the site may be going downhill ... but that's because we all talk on Facebook/Google+ and text each other. There's really no *need* to have 15 ways to talk to each other. Now that I have no one on my FB account, I don't talk to anyone though :( Boo.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #39
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
Now that I have no one on my FB account, I don't talk to anyone though :( Boo.
You still have me and Adrian to chime in. What else do you need? :P

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #40
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I have been a member for a while and this forum has improved, there is plenty of info, great DIY's and i have made some great friends here (NCVC). I visit the site daily, but i rarely post. I love visiting other forums just to get ideas of how i want my car to look, but the economy and providing for my family comes first, but one day i will have my lil LB sitting and looking just how i want it, but until then i don't have much to share.

Overall a few changes would not hurt like a new banner would be a nice start, having a contest would be cool, i know a lot of people got into the engine cover contest in the past hopefully we can get things organized, but its up to us members to get this going! Maybe having a contest on who can create a new banner for the site would be good, their are a lot of creative/artistic members out there. well that's my 2 pesos...

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #41
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I AM an old timer, ie, the oldest to post as of last year. I have loved cars since the days of wood wheels running clincher tires. I tried to keep up, but when a computer chip took control of my car, I stopped looking and went back to designing and building my own cars. I do nothing to my Yaris other than maintenance.

I hang out here to find out what is likely to fail. I find hints on many subjects regarding my only new car. I add my 2 cents worth when I feel I have the information to further the conversation. My Yaris sedan is a working vehicle (rural mail route), as opposed to a commuter or toy. I would LOVE to get back into racing ("Old age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm every time"), but my pension doesn't allow it. Personally, I don't really see another 5mpg or 5mph in a paint job, nor do I see speed limits as a challenge. The game is, this site satisfactory for the hypermilers, with its own threads for racers, customizers, even other vehicles.

Perfect.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #42
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
I don't really think there's a problem with this site either. I guess I would agree that there hasn't been a lot of new performance oriented content lately, but hey; it's a Yaris. There is still a lot of good information here.

I've been a member since 2009 when I got my Yaris, but I've lurked on here since before then. This site is actually what convinced me to get a Yaris in the first place.

The Yaris is only one of several vehicles I have at the moment. None of my vehicles are stock. Each one is for a different purpose and each one is a project in some form; some are just more extensive than others. The Yaris fits in as my daily, fuel efficient transportation to work and it has the added bonus of still looking cool and being fun to drive.

I lurk here pretty often, but I don't have much to post since I haven't done much to my Yaris this year besides new wheels and a short shifter. As it sits now, it's just a set of coilovers away from being done. I will also need to get some new tires soon so that will most likely mean a new set of wheels as well.

Last edited by TOUGEghost; 10-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #43
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I agree the site has been lacking in the last year in particular.

However, its negatives may be different for each person. The OP is clearly most interested in lots of performance mods. Thing is, most of us aren't. Most of us have a Yaris as our primary transportation, so dumping thousands into it and making it less reliable and more expensive to run is not an option. If we wanted a high performance, unreliable car, we would have bought a used BMW.

What I'd like to see to bring back life into the forum is simply much more participation by more members. There's simply very little posting going on.

Also, I really wish the administrators were actually engaged. They start a forum and essentially disappear. And yeah, we will need a new banner to reflect the 3rd gen Yaris too.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #44
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
"get with it or get out" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
I have noticed we are losing all of our great members who really pushed the limits on these cars..... Its sucks to see everyone going away. No offense but most new members dont know squat about cars, do tacky mods and just buy the Yaris because its the cheapest thing they could find or the only car they can afford! You dont see that over on Fit Freak or ClubYarisUK or MicroImage. Also the owners of this site dont promote vendors, dont update it at all! Its just awful, if you dont like the Yaris anymore and dont own one give the site to someone else who cares! Obviously you dont! If it werent for MicroImage there would be none of this. The thing on here is tacky wheels, neons, bad graphics and who gets the best MPG, or its the post well I dont know if i should do this mod, it might be to much and its a damn Short Throw or exhaust thread!!!!!!! This place used to be so much fun to get on! Its very sad when people have to post on the European Yaris sites to enjoy the community. I know there are a lot of others on here that feel the same way and 4 or 5 of them have already talked to me about it. I really hope something is done with the site cause we are losing great members. Just look at the FS threads. Its sad really to see whats happening! Im sorry to make the new people feel bad, but either you get with it or get out, this community is being ruined by stupid crap. We need people to push the limits again, I was just talking to a memeber on the phone last night about his land speed racing and all the plans he has for next year with the motor build! Thats what this place used to be like all the time! Now its losing that excitment! Lets get this community back on track people, its been too long that we have sat back and watched it start falling apart! Again im just angry about this site not being taken care of and how stupid little things are taking the Yaris down to a very low level!
You could be forgetting a few things...the Yaris IS entry level, so yes, some people just might actually buy it because it's affordable and reliable transportation...a lot more than those that have the money to "push it to the limits"

No offense, but I say why waste the $$? Will you get most of it back when you sell the Yaris, or does most of the $$ just get pissed away? My thought, if you got it, buy a WRX, BMW, Mustang GT, etc... at least there's a book value on your vehicle when it's time to resell.

If you think a message board for an econo vehicle needs to be dominated by a mod/vendor section to survive, or that talk of "land speed records" is more normal, I think you're wrong.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 10-10-2011 at 08:47 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #45
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
You could be forgetting a few things...the Yaris IS entry level, so yes, some people just might actually buy it because it's affordable and reliable transportation...a lot more than those that have the money to "push it to the limits"

No offense, but I say why waste the $$? Will you get most of it back when you sell the Yaris, or does most of the $$ just get pissed away? My thought, if you got it, buy a WRX, BMW, Mustang GT, etc... at least there's a book value on your vehicle when it's time to resell.

If you think a message board for an econo vehicle needs to be dominated by a mod/vendor section to survive, or that talk of "land speed records" is more normal, I think you're wrong.
You can get some of that money back if you part out. And if people want to mod the car that's their choice.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #46
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
Now that I have no one on my FB account, I don't talk to anyone though :( Boo.
Ouch my feelings are hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i saw Caveatipse on BaitCar today ;O)
Lmao
Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #47
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:

1st, I wanna say, awesome Avatar. I enjoyed DragonAge II, several play throghs.

2nd, I do agree that this particular forum is based on ALL forms of yaris owners and that this is not a modified yaris majority. Therefore I think if one wants a forum that deals directly with modified Yaris', they should look else where, NOT saying there isnt awesome tuners/modders for the yaris here already. I actually enjoy the close net group of tuners here to get most, if not all, the info you need to tune/modify a yaris

3rd, I will disagree with the fact that I am "pissing away" my money on a yaris. Guys (and Gals) who tune/mod thier cars are doing it for the fun and experience. Not the fact that they could have got a WRX or a Mustang. Its a since of pride when one makes a car handle, accelerate or out shine the other $30k car next to them. They feel they personally built this car better than it was.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #48
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
You can get some of that money back if you part out. And if people want to mod the car that's their choice.
Of course. The point I was trying to make was probably 98% of the folks don't want to spend all of their extra income modding their cars like what the OP wants, so why say that this site is going down the tubes because it doesn't focus on drastic modding a lot more? Just saying that most of the members probably are not practicing that, so why expect it?

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #49
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I bought my Yaris to commute with, then it turned into something else when I found out there is an aftermarket for it. When I first picked it up(for $2,500) I was certain it would cure my modding problem(I customize all of my cars)...for a couple of months I did nothing more than tint the windows, then I found this site...now there's a turbo kit sitting in my office and my Yaris is about $4,000.00 heavier(in about 5 months) and there is no end in sight. It seems like every time I cross something off the list two new items get tagged on.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #50
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
1st, I wanna say, awesome Avatar. I enjoyed DragonAge II, several play throghs.

3rd, I will disagree with the fact that I am "pissing away" my money on a yaris. Guys (and Gals) who tune/mod thier cars are doing it for the fun and experience. Not the fact that they could have got a WRX or a Mustang. Its a since of pride when one makes a car handle, accelerate or out shine the other $30k car next to them. They feel they personally built this car better than it was.
[1st]
This is my final play-through, if I ever get back to it. I'm about 1/2 way through with this game so I can import this character to the next DA3

[3rd]
I know what you mean...I remember the look on my brother's face when his $300.00 junkyard Nova that he fixed up beat my new Mustang GT, or his 1/2 priced SRT4 Neon, w/ stage kit, walked my 6.0 GTO
But after it was all said and done, and his hard earned victories, he still wishes he would have saved his money.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #51
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
I bought my Yaris to commute with, then it turned into something else when I found out there is an aftermarket for it. When I first picked it up(for $2,500) I was certain it would cure my modding problem(I customize all of my cars)...for a couple of months I did nothing more than tint the windows, then I found this site...now there's a turbo kit sitting in my office and my Yaris is about $4,000.00 heavier(in about 5 months) and there is no end in sight. It seems like every time I cross something off the list two new items get tagged on.
Lol that's me right there I am almost done with the Yaris and starting on the Del Sol
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #52
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Of course. The point I was trying to make was probably 98% of the folks don't want to spend all of their extra income modding their cars like what the OP wants, so why say that this site is going down the tubes because it doesn't focus on drastic modding a lot more? Just saying that most of the members probably are not practicing that, so why expect it?
I agree, this is a ALL in ONE package forum I think..

Also, 3rd. Its an addiction. like mazilla and jumpmanyaris said. Those of us who try to buy these commuter cars and end up tuning them, have a history of previous project more then likely.

I know I have. I traded my 08 tacoma for the yaris for the cheaper payments cuz I no longer have roomates. Even though the truck payments were a few hundred more a month, and didnt do any Mods to it at all. I probably spend more on the yaris on mods that add up to the cost of payments on the tacoma.. Sometimes I think about regretting doing it, but its just in my blood. I cant stop.. i have a problem... i know i do.. i wish there was a support group. It sux, prob gonna be old and broke and never retire
Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #53
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
...Return key. Use it.
Spot on . No one wants to read a slab of text.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #54
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i like turtles...i think i have a problem....turtle lover
First step: Admitting it.

Gamera is the friend of children.