Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Is the product in the link a good idea?
Yup 1 10.00%
Nup 8 80.00%
Undecided 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Exclamation Alarm Bells Ringing

Grr can't edit the poll.

But do you think a "Glock Lanyard" is a good idea? I'm sure some moron would leave the safety off and shoot themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: gif acc_misc01.gif (10.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg acc_op_lanyard.jpg (31.0 KB, 58 views)

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
btw- the Glock has no safty that can be put on or taken off.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
No Lose if they shoot them selves ,only if they shoot someone else
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
Really? It makes the lanyard an even worse idea.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 10-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
You can throw a Glock down on concrete and it will not go off. It is one of the safest guns sold. The safety is in the trigger. The safety is automatically engaged when the trigger is pulled. We also need to be clear what the lanyard is intended to be used for. You don't wear it around your neck like blig or something. It is meant to be attached to a holster to avoid being dropped in battle.

Here's the trigger safety...

Old 10-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can throw a Glock down on concrete and it will not go off. It is one of the safest guns sold. The safety is in the trigger. The safety is automatically engaged when the trigger is pulled. We also need to be clear what the lanyard is intended to be used for. You don't wear it around your neck like blig or something. It is meant to be attached to a holster to avoid being dropped in battle.

Here's the trigger safety...

One minute you say there's no saftey on a glock, the next minute your posting pictures of a saftey.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I carry a glock 23 The lanyard IMO is a waste of money UNLESS you are prone to dropping the weapon or having it come out of the holster alone.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Nigal

Quote:
One minute you say there's no saftey on a glock, the next minute your posting pictures of a saftey.
No, what I actually said was...

btw- the Glock has no safety that can be put on or taken off.

...as in being able to take it off and leave it off like more traditional safeties. Sorry for not being more clear.

The pistol I carry most of the time (Springfield XD 40)has a combination of the Glock trigger safety and a Browning grip safety. Both must be engaged at the same time but again, I can't turn the safety on and off. I like this safety much better.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
I carry a glock 23 The lanyard IMO is a waste of money UNLESS you are prone to dropping the weapon or having it come out of the holster alone.
I agree. If you were carrying it in battle then maybe but it's worthless for everyday carry.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
Bob_VT

I would be worried if in a situation that the lanyard would interfere with a magazine change or tangle on anything.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:02 AM   #11
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
I would be worried if in a situation that the lanyard would interfere with a magazine change or tangle on anything.
True. And besides, I like to walk around the house dressed like Laura Croft with duel tactical cowboy holsters. Wouldn't go good with the look. LOL!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
anyone who drops their weapon shouldn't own one
That's pretty silly. Claiming someone shouldn't own an object for doing something unintentional? That's like saying someone who hits the curb while parallel parking shouldn't own a car.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
Nigal

Quote:
comparing weapon handling to parallel parking is silly. one can kill you the other can't. if you need a string to keep it off the ground you shouldn't own a gun. and as matter of fact if you have problems parking you should take some courses
I see a perfect comparison. A gun and a car are simply tools and both are capable of killing when used irresponsibly. When used responsibly they will never kill anyone...except in an unententional excident. And just as bumping the curb while paralel parking doesn't mean someone is going to get killed, simply dropping a gun on the ground doesn't mean someone will get killed. It doesn't even mean the gun will go off much less kill someone. You can throw my pistol against a brick wall all day long until it falls apart and it will not go off.

And as I stated above the pistol lanyard is originally intended for military use. There is a huge difference between every day carry and a military battle situation.

But I respect your view and opinion.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #14
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
comparing weapon handling to parallel parking is silly. one can kill you the other can't.
Most guns in the US don't kill anyone. They gather dust in drawers.

In contrast parallel parking is mildly hazardous if you accidentally hit someone else's car and they take umbrage and break your ass for it.

Quote:
if you need a string to keep it off the ground you shouldn't own a gun.
Matter of fact it's kind of chilling to think that maybe Glock is offering a lanyard because of inner city fashion - kids who "drive by" might sometimes catch return fire or get overly excited and drop the piece by mistake. In either case a lanyard facilitates retention of the piece, allowing it to be disposed of in order to frustrate a murder conviction.

Meanwhile the shootee in your cruiser gets dumped at a local hospital to meet their fate.

I don't use lanyards myself but I think that there is some merit to them. The lanyard keeps you from dropping it if you were to be smacked or wounded during an exchange. If you hold the piece muzzle high the lanyard will not interfere, the position is natural for a reload (hand finds hand) and then you can continue to fire.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:38 AM   #15
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
combat is a different story you depend on your weapon, but if its meant to prevent accidental droppage by mr/mrs butterfingers then these peple should not be left unattended with a weapon by themselves
A lanyard is usually far too long to "prevent" anything except loss. I think, most of the time, will hit the ground anyhow. So "butter fingers" don't get any benefit from one of those.

It's a very very rare person who routinely drops a firearm. They tend to be weighty, when you drop them at the least you bang them up a bit and ruin their value, and most people are schooled from the get go to use them carefully. I think you'll find that you don't have much cause for concern about that issue.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #16
Bob_VT

The other primary purpose of the lanyard is to attach the weapon. It requires an extra step to surrender the weapon to another person for inspection or other purpose.

The military police use lanyards so no one will grab the weapon and run. Military holsters are NOT retention holsters like most police departments use. The lanyard adds the extra security

Old 11-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #17
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Most guns in the US don't kill anyone. They gather dust in drawers.
I actually need to buy a new holster because I've worn a hole through mine.

These lanyards are much nicer than the WWII looking design in the OP. These are the type I've seen some of the troops using.