Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Oh oh, ticket!

So I was driving on the northern state parkway, going around a corner, left lane, range rover slowed down fast, i instead put gas to go around and not cut off anyone in the middle lane, but to my bad luck, there is a state trooper.

Pulls me over, tells me I was doing 95mph, I said no way. I had my cruise control set to 65, and I only paniced when the car infront stopped so I went around instead of slamming my brakes.

He came back and told me, "I didn't give you a ticket for speeding, but I gave you a ticket for Disobeying a traffic control device."

I asked what that was he didn't answer my question and just told me to go to court if I wanted too.

So this was issued on Sunday morning. Its Tuesday morning now, so If I plead not guilty to this I have to mail it today.

So what do I do? And should I pay the $180 fine with 2 points or do not guilty? Thanks..
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
What was the speed limit?

Why did the Range Rover slow down?

My guess is that the cop knew exactly how fast you were going, but threw out 95 just to see what you'd admit to. And he probably did you a favor by not writing you a ticket for speeding, but instead writing you a less expensive ticket. I've heard this from cops before... try to give a kid a break, but the kid just doesn't grasp the concept.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Never just "give" it to them. Always go talk to the consulate at the courthouse and explain what happened, if you have a clean record then you for sure tell him that and try to work out something like you'll pay the money but you just want to keep your record clean with no points. Unless you have a wild record, nine out of ten times they will be willing to work something out. Worst that happens in the end is you end up paying what they tried getting you to pay anyways.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Lafiro

I just don't know how out of all the cars and volume he knew I was doing 95mph? The speed limit is like 55 or 60, I honestly don'y know on that highway, yet again Im on every single highway during a 1 week span where I live so I don't memorize anything, I just follow the flow of traffic or go a tad bit faster but not to make myself stand out.

The range rover slowed down probably because it was speeding? And who knows if it had a radar detector? I was just the unlucky one to hit the gas to go around rather then slam my brakes and pray to god I wasn't hit from the back, you know what I mean?

And if he dropped the speeding to even to like 80, I would only pay $85 ticket and maybe no points? Maybe a few? Now this is 2 points and $180....

Any more suggestions before I guess I will do Not Guilty and just go in anyway.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
The "Traffic Device" in this case is probably the speed limit sign.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Lafiro

So, fight it then? Need to put this in the mail within the next hour.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
So, the speed limit was probably 55... you had the cruise locked at 10 over AND you sped up... so he clocked you at 70ish.

Just pay the fine.

Sure, you could fight it... but it is worth all the hassle and time? Take your lumps and learn from it.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Do not mail it in with payment, that's admitting guilt and you'll defintiely get the points. WEll at least that's how it is in MD. Take it to court, you may end up paying the fine, but hopefully you get the points dropped
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
tell the judge that the cop told you to go to court to find out what that mean..just to get the cop is trouble for being sarcastic ..cop should be liable to explain what you are getting charge for...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Lafiro

Ha thats very true. He didn't tell me anything, except the name of the law I supposedly broke, but then told me to just go fight it in court. SO I guess thats true, that would get the cop in trouble.

And honestly, I dont care about the fine, I just don't want the points! And my record is clean!

I mailed it in as not guilty. I work at night and go to school at night, so It does not make a difference to me if I have to go in. At least I won't be sitting at home doing nothing.
Thanks though for the comments. And anything else I can get from this I will learn/use to my advantage.

And yes I do learn from my mistakes.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If you had to take evasive maneuvers in order to keep from hitting the rear of the Range Rover then you were following too closely for the speed you were at. Either that or you were distracted and reacted too slowly. Anything that happened after that point is moot as the initial issue was yours.

I'm glad everyone came out of it without injury but that does not change the fact that you created a dangerous situation not only for yourself but for those around you. Do not fight the ticket. Realize that the penalty could have been much worse and that you've already been given a break, take responsibility for your actions, learn from it and move on.

Your State offers a "Driver Improvement Course" for $40. This would be a good time for you to take advantage of it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I agree! Never, ever pass someone who suddenly slows down for no "apparent" reason: there is ALWAYS a reason! One thing that carried over from my racing days was being second is always easier than being first. Tailgating always leads to trouble; don't do it.

Eat the fine, learn the lesson.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Lafiro

Exactly. Thank you.

Im also not an idiot everyone, if I know I was guilty, I would have NEVER posted this.
But you are absolutely right, he did tell me to take it to court and I guess its true he didn't know what to do so he just wroute any ticket he could. This is without proof as well, just said on the ticket, from his direct observance. But He observed what? He said speeding at 95mph, but he drops it and says disobeyed a traffic control device but couldnt explain to me what it was, and just to go to court if I wanted?

So obviously he didnt have anything better to do or so but he now wasted me time.

So now let me return the favor.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
At highway speeds, all it takes is for the car in front of you to have better brakes/tires and you'll be into their bumper. (same with the car behind you and your back bumper.)

If everything you're saying is true Lafiro, I would fight it.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
I would fight it. A couple of months before I bought my Yaris I received two tickets from a county constable for something similar to this.

I was on a 2 lane residential road and the last car in a line of about 4-5 cars. There's only 1 lane each direction but the lane is extra wide and they have "No Passing" signs and the posted Speed Limit is 35mph.

I pulled over to the right side of the lane to turn right and the car in front of me did the same thing at the last minute. My options were slam on the brakes and hope I didn't plow them or swerve to the left and not hit them. I swerved left and the lane was wide enough that I didn't have to worry about on-comming traffice but I was forced to take the next turn.

I turned right and went on my way and got another 3-4 blocks when the constable came flying up behind me with lights and sirens going. I pulled over and he wrote me two tickets, one for following too close and the other for not signaling my turn.

I went to court on it and got 1 dropped and the other deferred with payment so it won't show up on my record as long as I don't get another ticket within 6 months, which is up by now. The reason that I fought the tickets is that the Constable was parked in a school parking lot 4-5 blocks behind me chatting on his phone. All he saw was me making the swerve left and it's my opinion that he simply made an assumption as to what happened.

I'd take any ticket to court to see if there's a way to reduce or eliminate it. If the state is willing to help you then I'd go for it. Just be on your best behavior if you do go to court and I think it will work out well for you.

And after you get the ticket's dropped then you can get the front of your car painted with Radar Absorbing Material and skim right past the cops without giving a return to their radar guns.

Drive safe,

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I'd fight a ticket if there was a good reason why I had to break the rule. On the other hand, if you start your argument by "I was locked at 65MPH" and it turns out it was a 55 MPH zone, you're not gonna get much sympathy.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i never admited guilt in court and have got out of points

in all honesty, there only after your money, they could really care less

worst off tell them you'll pay 200 and no points and they will go for it

economy is bad, there going after every dollar they can

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #18
Lafiro

Ok, I will say just that to the judge or whoever. I will act dumb, but I will be respectful and just answer when spoken too. I guess I should also go in with slacks and a solid button down shirt? Don't mind. But I don't need this garbage on my record you know.