Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #73
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Wow, that's cheap. I think I paid like $379 for the SSQV for my previous car. Your car is looking good BTW. Clean install.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #74
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
is your AFR hitting 15-16 while you're on it?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #75
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Just to let you know, if you paid $150 for it & it was new, its a fake. Its a counterfeit piece. Iv been a distributor of HKS, $150 is below wholesale. Im not flaming you or trying to insult you, Im just informing you of the fact. I have one of those on my car, so far, so good, so dont worry about it failing or anything. Here is info about it directly from HKS:

http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3646
I was well aware of the fakes out there on ebay. However, the price on these might be lower than you think. I was looking at reputable websites that are HKS dealers, and there were selling it new for around $200 dollars.

It has the hologram backing and everything seems to be legit? The quality looks and feels top notch.

Anywho, if it's a fake, it's a fake. I was aware of the possibility. But, I'm still sure it's better quality than the one the zage kit came with. It also sounds 10x better than the zage one, IMO. Hopefully it doesn't die out on me in a couple of days.

EDIT: I looked at the website you provided from HKS about the counterfeit identification, and I am thinking mine might be legit.

According to their website, this is a fake HKS:

REAL HKS:

The difference I see here is the "HKS" emblem that is on the side. If you look at my picture of my BOV, it does have the emblem..

Also, my BOV didn't come with the adapter flange like the website shows the counterfeit one does. I had to purchase that separately. My box also has the Japanese characters on the back side of the box, like the real one indicates on the HKS website.

Maybe the counterfeits are getting better?

EDIT AGAIN:

Here's some pictures of the box if anyone can tell anything from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
is your AFR hitting 15-16 while you're on it?
It might be at certain times. The car isn't tuned for the turbo yet. However, if you watch the wideband and listen to the engine, the numbers on the wideband are at about 11-12 right before I shift. That is usually the accurate AFR during the current gear you are in (from my experience). The wideband takes time to adjust through your AFR while you are WOT through the gears. So it will show numbers alot of numbers while it's trying to read the AFR, then it steadies out to a constant number right before you shift.

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 12-08-2010 at 02:04 PM.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #76
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Hmm, it still sounds like you're surging with the SSQV, but I might be wrong. It does sound a lot better though. I'm debating if I should follow suite or not.

As for the fake BOV, who cares? The only thing that matters is that it works. If that holds, then you just got a sweet deal on an even sweeter BOV.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #77
PETERPOOP

I don't know where you can hear any compressor surge in that video? There is very minimal compressor surge, or if any with this BOV; as far as I can hear in person. You don't HAVE to get this exact bov. There ARE others out there. ;)

EDIT: Tuning session set for this Saturday morning. :)

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 12-08-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #78
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
PETER: Check out this website:
www.mofe.net.cn
I can buy HKS SSQ for $28.00 & HKS turbo timers for $37.00 in an HKS box with all the proper lables. Trust me the Chinese counterfeit everything. I can even get counterfeit AEM FIC's. Like I said fake or not if it works, its good for you and me.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #79
PETERPOOP

I don't think mine is fake.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #80
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i'm glad you went turbo :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #81
PETERPOOP

amen to that! i now see the light
Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #82
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I don't think mine is fake.
That fine, no big deal : )
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #83
PETERPOOP

Yup yup. Focus will now be put towards this Saturday's results.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #84
PETERPOOP

Ok. Here we go...

WHP: 175.14 TQ: 175.38

Dyno sheet showing current whp/tq with turbo set up in green, and comparing it to old tune with the blitz s/c in blue:

So, this was done on 8lbs of boost. However, the 1zz fuel injectors were maxed out. I need bigger injectors. The tuner got the A/F to a little under 12 AFR. He wants it to be at 11.5 AFR. From that, he can richen up the AFR and maybe get a little more power from it. To sum it up, i'll be getting bigger fuel injectors. How big? Not sure yet, tuner is going to figure it out.

Also, the clutch slipped during the tuning session. Yes, I am still using the stock clutch. Yes, I will now be purchasing a new stage 2 clutch. Not sure which one yet. I might get it from the tuning shop, to give him business and in return, hopefully get a cheaper rate for the labor install. Yes, I will also be getting a LSD put in at the same time.

I will be getting rates from him on how much the clutch/lsd/labor will cost on monday (supposedly).

Probably won't have those installed and retuned until the end of the year, i'd think.

He only charged me $150 for the tuning and dyno usage today. I think he felt bad that I now need a new clutch and fuel injectors. lol. He's a super cool and nice guy though. Glad to be giving him business. :)
Old 12-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #85
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
let me know if you want help with those parts, all in stock. Max power at 4700 rpm, haven't seen that before. nice torque!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #86
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Nice numbers. You're lucky to have a nice tuner nearby.

What did you tune, just AFRs? You should see some nice additional numbers if you did timing since you're running meth.

Also, I'm kinda surprised by the injectors maxing. I've calced my 1NZs to be good for about 4500 RPMs at 8 psi of boost. It is what it is though

I'm in agreement with Garm as well. Max torque @ 4k-ish is just awesome. Zage chose a great turbo for our cars

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 12-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #87
PETERPOOP

Hey, you guys talking about the torque? If not, you might got it mixed up. Since the two dyno lines intersect each other, it's hard to tell which is which. The one that hits max power at 4500 rpm is the torque. It continues to dip down at 5500 RPM. The HP is the one that peaks at 5500 RPM.

The tuner did the timing also and IDK what else. Ya, he's a good guy. He tunes a lot of cars.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #88
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
You think you would be able to raise the boost to 10? I think the stock block should be able to handle it with a really good tune. Then again I haven't really researched our engine that much myself.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #89
PETERPOOP

No clue, but I want a little longevity with my engine setup. I won't be doing that. Someone else can be the guinea pig.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #90
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Lol you got me there.When u get my tuning sorted out I will give it a test and see how long it last. Will be getting an additional block too and building that.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote