Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Longest lasting wax

I've used caranuba for years. Did the first wash/wax on my new white Yaris today. Only a month old and it took hours to get all the bug and tar stains off. Heck my arms are tired. I was thinking it would be nice to find a wax that would help keep tar from being stuck on so deep and that would last a long time.

I know caranuba is considered the best as far as shine, but I'm more concerned about finding a wax that would last a long time and make washing easier.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
evil genius

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3dr
Did you use a clay bar before you waxed? I ask because it will make a difference in the smoothness of the paint, smoother paint = easier cleaning.

As for the longest lasting wax, through my experiences, waxes with higher percentage of wax content last longer but the cost is much higher.

Maybe try one of the new synthetic or synthetic blend waxes.
evil genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
I didn't do the clay bar because I figured it wouldn't need it being only a month old, I was wrong about that.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
evil genius

You may have had the car for a month but the car could be older than that and the crud builds on it through shipping and sitting on the lot.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
autopia

and

http://www.meguiars.com/howtocenter/
Are good "how to" sources for car care.

The usual washing steps would be=
1 Wash twice with dish soap to remove old wax.Use 2 buckets of water,one with the soap the other to rinse the rag
2 Claybar.
3 If its an older car swirl/scratch remover is applied at this stage.
4 Now the polish.
5 Finishing with the wax.
Maintain finish with a detail spray

Use absolutely the cleanest rags,if one falls on the ground its history,i find micro fiber towels and rags work well,i only use them once for the car as its not expensive to buy new ones.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
A quality sealant will last longer and provide better protection. Follow that with a good wax for a shiny effect.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
my car was done with this resist all stuff.. guaranteed to seal the car and not need a wax for 7 years the thing always looks shiny and wet :)
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
swisswax is great... but I cant afford it right now...
I love my NXT Tech Wax 2.0 now... it does wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I'd say PM echo_hrs, cause he has the nicest car in YW.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
evil genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Maybe the concorso, but Crystal Rock and Divine are like a down payment on another yaris or at least a good paint job. I've used concorso but switched to zymol carbon, I think the zymol lasts longer.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Second the MEGUIARS NST tech wax, almost as shiny as pure carnuba but lasts 3 times as longer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #12
nisyota

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I gotta give it to KLASSE... Their ALL IN ONE and their Sealant. GREAT STUFF. Its simple to use.

WAX ON WAX OFF.
nisyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
TroyD

Drives: 1996 Toyota Corolla (170K!)
I can't believe I don't see a post recommending Zaino yet. Their entire line of products is fantastic. Use Z5 for dark color cars, or Z2 on lighter colors and metallics.

On Autopia people have done tests (cross section a spare hood with tape and applying different products and Zaino is almost always the longest lasting).

Klasse is good too, but their Sealant (the gray bottle) is very finicky to apply.

http://www.zainobros.com
TroyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
If you want the easiest stuff to apply and take off, try Buttery Wax buy Adam's. Their whole line up is the best wax I have ever tried. Their detail spray is amazing as well. Prior to waxing though, clay bar and then polishing/removing scratches makes for a nice smooth paint job to apply the wax to. Without the prep work, you will be sealing contaminants into the paint. Even a new car needs to be clayed and polished.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Meguires NXT 2.0 is the best wax you can buy if you want the best of both worlds. Shine and longetivity. Since it is a fully synthetic wax it can withstand higher melting point than thier black bottle gold class. The gold class will give you better results but if you live where its really hot the best you will get is about 2 weeks before the shine and protection is gone.

NXT 2.0 is almost as good of a shine but last several months.

What you can do is put on a base coat of NXT and put on the gold class on top to get the shine you want but when it melts away you will still have NXT protecting it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #16
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Check out the zymol ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkmZveqyU5E

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I've used Zaino (complete system, from clay bar to finishing wax), Zymol, Meguiars (nxt and gold class), Mothers, and I've found (amazingly) that the longest lasting wax (in my experience) was Turtle Wax (the stuff in the green can).

Don't get me wrong, the other waxes looked great and lasted a while, it just seems that the Turtle wax stays on the car for months.

Again, just my experience. Take it or leave it.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
TroyD

Drives: 1996 Toyota Corolla (170K!)
Yikes, I've tried just about everything too. (Zaino, Meguiars, Klasse, Zymol, Poorboys, Optimum, S100/P21S, NuFinish...and the old original Turtle Wax, although admittedly it's been awhile on that).

The more different products I try, the more I find myself going back to Zaino. People complain about the "complicated" process of adding a few drops of the ZFX additive to it, well that's nothing compared with the struggle of removing Turtle Wax. Modern waxes and sealants generally wipe of with little or no effort, and for the most part they don't leave all that residue around trim and moldings that needs to be touched up with q-tips like the old school waxes did.

I'll still try out new stuff as it comes along, but I think it's hard to beat Zaino for the combination of looks and durability...as well as ease of application/removal. The main downside to Zaino, is that it has to be ordered online.
TroyD is offline   Reply With Quote