Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #1
jenarae

Drives: No more Yaris!
Angry Microfiber from hell!!!

OK, so today I went out to Pep Boys to buy a Microfiber glove since my bro got one and said it works very well, so i decided to get one...

I get back in my car with my friend and decide to test it out on my semi-dusty dash. It worked just as planned. As I'm leaning over my friend to put it away in my glove box, my friend notices something weird going on with the clock display thing. I look up and i see this:

WTF!!???!? The display was like bleeding or something!? I was so upset! I couldn't come up with any other explanation other than the micro fiber glove and maybe some sort of static electricity messing with the display. My friend said she heard static when i was wiping away.

As I'm driving away and calling my dealer to see if i can take it in tomorrow morning to get this taken care of i notice that the globs of bleeding are disappearing and it's going back to normal. Eventually the display looks normal again and there are no globs of crystal or whatever that stuff is made of.

I'm so confused! What do you guys think caused this? The microfiber? Static electricity from it? Even though there is the plastic covering to protect the speedometer and what not...

My brother uses the same one and this has not happened to him and the packaging of the glove has no warning of any type. I want to throw out that glove now, but i don't really know if it was the cause or it was just coincidence? A little help guys...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
hmmm it may be static, acter all, these LCDs work by using electricity to turn them transparent or opaque.

As for your brother, if I recall properly, the LCD screen on the sedan is directly exposed, while on the LB, there is an angled plastic shield in front of the gauges?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
jenarae

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
hmmm it may be static, acter all, these LCDs work by using electricity to turn them transparent or opaque.

As for your brother, if I recall properly, the LCD screen on the sedan is directly exposed, while on the LB, there is an angled plastic shield in front of the gauges?

Finally someone responded!lol
And no i have the shield too! Just like the LB...that's why i was like wtf? Did it go through the plastic? lol
Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
now that's just plain weird, I doubt a glove could generate that much static, unless you were really giving your dash a vigorous rub...

I guess, next time you use that glove, be sure to check the display, if it does it again, it's gotta be linked somehow...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Is that LCD??? Its bleeding from all sides so I doubt you might have accidentally pressed too hard, but ya that is weird.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
You need some gas!

On that note if you're friend put too much pressure on the lcd that would also cause it to bleed. I've seen people do it to laptops and computers all to much, they'll go to point at something at the screen and poke it and then it'll mess up.
Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Yeah but that's the thing, guys, go look in your car, you can't press directly on the LCD, there is a plastic window thing in the front of the gauges blocking access...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
Doesn't make sense how it would happen to me then. Generally any type of static shock near direct or near direct contact to short anything. Regardless it should be under warranty, see if they're raplce the entire cluster for one with a tach :P
Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
xed

Drives: '08 Polar White 3dr
Quote:
I'm so confused! What do you guys think caused this? The microfiber? Static electricity from it? Even though there is the plastic covering to protect the speedometer and what not...
I vote static. You used the glove to wipe the dash which built up a large static charge. Some of that charge got transferred to the plastic cover which sits in front of the LCD. The static charge on the plastic cover generates an electric field and that field interacted with your LCD which made it discolor. Over time the charge on the plastic cover dissipates naturally which meant that your LCD returned to normal.

That's my guess.
xed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

that is a possibility, I guess

*goes off to vigorously rub his cluster panel*

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Thats why I use Swiffer to wipe the dust of the dash
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Microfiber fabric is best for underwear, like microfiber seamless thong!

I'm glad your LCD display is back to normal and thanks for the heads up about those cleaning stuff.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I usually use microfiber cloth for waxing and putting on rain-x.. i've yet to use it on the inside.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
jenarae

Yeah, I didn't press hard or anything! I didn't even wipe the plastic shield thing just the actual dash in front of the speedometer. It's just odd because my brother uses the same thing in his LB...so unless the LCD's are made differently in the sedan than the LB that's all i can think of...and I'm scared to test it again in case this time it does not go back to normal!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
cdmyaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
wtf. I use my mircofiber towel to wipe anything on my dashboard. Never to this problem before.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
jenarae

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmyaris View Post
wtf. I use my mircofiber towel to wipe anything on my dashboard. Never to this problem before.

SEE WHAT I MEAN!? What's wrong with my car? Fix it.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #17
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
ya just send it my way.. and um.. i'll "fix" it.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:38 AM   #18
jenarae

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
ya just send it my way.. and um.. i'll "fix" it.

k, give me your address.