Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Turbo Questions

I've seen turbos done good and bad. For me the beauty of a turbo is that it doesn't affect MPG unless you rev high. A turbo setup done right can have great everyday driveablity and you never know its there unless you need it. The big issue I have found with Turbos is the ECM. With my 93 Civic it was easy, the ECU code was hacked and it could be changed. In my state (Pennsylvania) they scan the ODBII for inspection, no problem with the old Civic.

Not interested in a supercharger, they are fine for racing, but just rob too much fuel economy for my tastes. With a turbo you basically get boost only when you need it if its done right.

What are the options with the Yaris? Can you add maybe 5psi, pass OBDII, and still get 40 mpg if you stay under 3500 rpm? Are there any one stop packages? If not, I'm sure there will be in a few years.

Just interested to know whats out there.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
look around this sub-forum, for the moment there's no simple plug-and-play kind of solution for the electronics. Turbo hardware is not a problem, with the right choice of turbo unit you can get it to start boosting at whatever RPM you want... but the software is the thorn in our side...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
regal

What about bigger injectors and stock ECU with a mild boost, any success with this? If not I can wait, I am sure the ECU will be hacked eventually, this car will be a cult classic like the old Hondas in 5 years.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
The stock injectors should be more than enough for 5psi...

The problem is that after you have gone thru all the trouble and custom work... who in their right mind would not want more!!

But seriously...

If you carefully select a turbo that will spool at 3,500-4,500 rpm's throw in colder plugs and run it with premiun gas... you should be more than able to get away with the stock ECU and no tunning...
At that psi level you won't even need an intercooler... so less things to worry about... no piping or leaks...

Garm ( Caliyaris ) has been running with no tunning for 8 months boosting 8 psi and he has not killed the engine... he is running lean at WOT but that is to be expected. But if you are truely able to stick to the 5 psi boost level... you should be more than fine.

You could probably achive around 130 whp with such set up... which is more than what the blitz puts out... and it would cost way less...
It would not have the instant response of the SC, but that is not waht you are looking for any ways...

If you have some skills you should be able to do it with less than $1,000

I predict that the Yaris ECU will not be cracked in 5 years, nor in 10 years...

Just rembember... anything more than those 5psi and you will be on the same boat as everyone else on the Force Induction area... Tunning problems as there is no easy way to modify fuel and timing on these cars...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Wait, i have a question Castrex since you seem to know alot. What AFR is Cali running in boost, and I have a K03, will the low end torque end up killing the rods because of the quick spool? I really want to turbo the yaris, even if i don't add a BOV or intercooler etc, like Richards kit
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post

I predict that the Yaris ECU will not be cracked in 5 years, nor in 10 years...

Someone needs to sell an standalone ECM that has an OBDII port, it would sell like hotcakes.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
djgab101

Drives: toyota yaris
i have a question!!!

say i installed a turbo kit into my yaris....... would i be able to have a on/off switch so that i can turn my turbo off when i dont need it so i can save fuel... and not damage my engine or anything like that?????????????
Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgab101 View Post
i have a question!!!

say i installed a turbo kit into my yaris....... would i be able to have a on/off switch so that i can turn my turbo off when i dont need it so i can save fuel... and not damage my engine or anything like that?????????????
I have heard that at one time there were people doing this with a lever on the wastegate. I think that was 25 years ago and to find such a rig today would be very custom/expensive.

What you want to do is match the turbo size to your engine such that below 3200 rpms or so it doesn't spoolup, properly sized and with good tuning a turbo won't use much gas until you stomp on the accelerator. The issue with the Yaris is that a good tune looks impossible if you want to pass emmissions (OBDII). Even for off-road I don't know if there are standalone ECM that can handle the drive-by wire throttle. I think the Yaris is a few years away from daily driver type turbo set-up. Hopefully some hacker genius will get ahold of a Toyota diagnostics and reverse engineer the stock ECM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
or, you can have some of the fancier boost controllers that give you 2 or more profiles. So you could have an "always open" profile that will not give you any boost whatsoever, and flick to the regular one when wanted.

Yes so far the only option that seems to work for US cars is a standalone ECU used in conjunction with the stock one (which handles the DBW, etc), or go nuts like Garm and convert the car to DBC

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
regal

What's DBC ?

edit: Oh Drive by cable?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #11
djgab101

thanks for your respones ....... plus the thing is my yaris is from australia so i dont think it is similar to US yaris..... and i am the biggest NOOB for anything about turbos !!!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #12
regal

I think I'm going to wait a few years before looking at boosting my Yaris, might look for an old Miata to restore and boost instead.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #13
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Not interested in a supercharger, they are fine for racing, but just rob too much fuel economy for my tastes. With a turbo you basically get boost only when you need it if its done right.
Actually, with the Blitz supercharger, you can set it to kick in at different throttle positions:

OFF
25% throttle
50% throttle
75% throttle

I'm not trying to change your mind on the turbocharger, just wanted to set the story straight on the supercharger.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
djgab101

yea i think i might go supercharger..... seems better option at the moment!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #15
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Wait, i have a question Castrex since you seem to know alot. What AFR is Cali running in boost, and I have a K03, will the low end torque end up killing the rods because of the quick spool? I really want to turbo the yaris, even if i don't add a BOV or intercooler etc, like Richards kit
Well.. that is a question for Garm... nof for me! I just know that he has mentioned a couple of times that he is running lean at WOT... but then again that is at 8 psi and 180whp

And no, you won't throw a rod... a K03 will not spool any faster nor provide as much power/ torque as Garms GT25R and he has not break anything so why would you?

Then again... what I'm trying to say is that if you are not looking to go near the limits and you can be satisfied with a low boost set up... you could do it with no tunning....

4-5 psi no intercooler... or a small one

And a cheap small turbo like the K03 or even a bit larger turbo if yoou want it to spool later... perhaps a take off from a wrx...

stock injectors or some just a tad lager like the injectors from a 1zz 1.8L

Colder plugs, premium fuel...

And you should be good to go!! with maybe 125-130 whp and about a $1k
or less spent...

Oh... and in case we found an affordable way to tune fuel and timing on this car on the future... you will only need to turn the boost up!! as you ill be all set.

Last edited by CASTREX; 03-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #16
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
Wonder what would happen if someone were to drop a t-sport ecu in, got to have better maps.
If the T-sport didn't come with a turbo, I doubt it will help much.

Also the reason i asked is because the K03 is tinyyyyy

http://www.nogaroblue.com/turbo/TurboWheels.jpg (It's the S4 one)

I am trying to find out what the wastegate is set at stock because i dont have a regulator on my air compressor to test its either 4 or 7 psi. I would be happy with 4 psi with new injectors and only a little lean, but i bet i am guaranteed a CEL which i do not want :(

I'm going to try and sift through all of garms turbo threads, god help me
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Wonder what would happen if someone were to drop a t-sport ecu in, got to have better maps.
That's a no go.

The first gen Tsport had teh same exact 1nz pushing the same power than the echo or xb /xA
The TRD turbo kit for the Tsport came with a differentt ECU to handle the boost... but that car is drive by cable... the ecu won't work in your car

And if you mean the new TS... well that is a totally different engine.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Well.. that is a question for Garm...
Yes, I ran a little lean at WOT and over 5k rpm. That was @ 8 psi on the stock ECU with Scion tC injectors and a bit of work on the MAF piping to fool the ECU.

I also got PO172 CEL's which meant I was running rich. This mostly happened when cold, decelerating or at idle.

Pesky ECU !! -- but it's gone now..
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote