Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #109
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
For me the bigger question is would I buy another one. While the Yaris is a great car, there seem to be a lot of other great subcompacts out there. I'd likely have to consider the Chevy Sonic Turbo, Honda Fit, and possibly the Mazda2 in addition to a Yaris (likely and SE with a manual).
I took my sweet time picking out a new car because I too thought it would be difficult making a choice with so many sweet options on the market, but it proved to be much less daunting that I thought. After everything, only the Sonic (I owned a '86 Chevy prior to my Yaris so a little brand love came into play), xD, and Yaris kept my attention. Scion's Pure Price pushed me away and the Sonic hatch just looks off. The sedan is righteous but I got my Yaris with more goodies for a lesser price. What really helped was reading these forums. The Yaris never seemed to have problems while the guys on the Chevy sites were catching all these issues with their first year Sonics. 2014/15 will be crazy awesome, though, what with the Fiesta ST, the possible Sonic SS, Subie's mods to their BRZ, the possible Toyota/Mazda love child, etc. Could be fun for us small car guys.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #110
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I bough mine in the summer of '08. Choices were far fewer in this class than they are now. I did intensive research and went with the Yaris and for the most part, haven't 2nd guessed my decision.

Remember in '08, the only choices were Yaris, Fit, Aveo, xD, Accent, & Rio (I may be forgetting one or two). Also remember that this was when gas reached $4/gal for the first time resulting in a mad dash to buy small cars in a limited supply market. There were no new Yaris's even available and I bought the only used one I could find which happened to be a Flint Mica S sedan which I wanted.

The only other ones on my consideration list were the xD and Fit. Fits were also sold out and pricey if you could find one. The xD was closest in the running. Again, hard to find and a bit more than I could swing at the time. Plus, I prefer sedans.

One thing I regret is that mine doesn't have the power package. It's kinda annoying to not have what is now commonplace power windows, locks, cruise control, ect.

Yaris won because:

- Most fuel efficient car at the time other than Prius
- I am loyal to Toyota
- Assured reliability
- Best looking sub-compact at the time along with xD IMO.
- Lowest cost of ownership
...and numerous other reasons

As of late, I've had the desire to upgrade. Two sizes! I'd buy a used Camry SE (probably a 2010). But my current circumstances will keep me in my Yaris for at least a couple more years.

Last edited by Kal-El; 02-02-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #111
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yes, that is what I wanted to know, . I missed seeing it when I looked at a 2012 when they first came out. I even mentioned it to the salesperson. Obviously he didn't know his own product well enough to point out that it does have this. I mentioned to him that I would miss that feature.
After this post I saw another '13 (a 5-door SE automatic) and it DIDN'T have a keyed release on the hatch. I just looked at most of the '13 Yaris info on the Toyota site for the U.S., and the only conclusion that seems plausible to me is that because the SE has standard keyless entry, Toyota eliminates the keyed hatch entry on the SE. I don't like this at all. I want both, which one would have if they added an aftermarket keyless entry to an L model. What if you had a parking situation like in that SUV commercial where the guy crawls out of the back of the SUV and joins his family after parking in a tight space. What if an SE owner had that situation, returned to their SE, and the battery was dead? Wouldn't they be prevented from entering their SE until the person parked next to them returned to their car? I like the SE features (except the power windows) and it would be crazy to try to turn a non-SE into an SE....but...would it be possible to swap a non-SE keyed hatch apparatus into that area on an SE ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #112
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I'm a little torn. I bought my 2012 Yaris L (5MT) in August. I've never owned a subcompact before, but I'm a bit bummed out about all of the rattles. Granted, I live in northern MN and it gets cold, so all of the cheap plastics will likely rattle/chatter. But, I've never had a car rattle like this. It's a bit of a bummer, but maybe all sub $15k cars are like this?

I've been a Toyota fan for a long time, and the only cars I was looking at was the Yaris and the Corolla. Would I buy the Yaris again? Hard to say.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #113
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I'm a little torn. I bought my 2012 Yaris L (5MT) in August. I've never owned a subcompact before, but I'm a bit bummed out about all of the rattles. Granted, I live in northern MN and it gets cold, so all of the cheap plastics will likely rattle/chatter. But, I've never had a car rattle like this. It's a bit of a bummer, but maybe all sub $15k cars are like this?

I've been a Toyota fan for a long time, and the only cars I was looking at was the Yaris and the Corolla. Would I buy the Yaris again? Hard to say.
When it gets cold enough my car does rattle, but it doesn't get that cold here very often. Is your window still staying in the locked position and closed when the crank is all the way to the end, or has your window started not going up that last bit again?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #114
matti

Quote:
When it gets cold enough my car does rattle, but it doesn't get that cold here very often. Is your window still staying in the locked position and closed when the crank is all the way to the end, or has your window started not going up that last bit again?
I did give a brief update in my other thread in regard to the window problem. They seemed to have fixed it (after the fourth attempt!), but I'm still a little worried. Five days and it's still okay :) I will keep my fingers crossed!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #115
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I did give a brief update in my other thread in regard to the window problem. They seemed to have fixed it (after the fourth attempt!), but I'm still a little worried. Five days and it's still okay :) I will keep my fingers crossed!
Wishing for you that it stays fixed .
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #116
matti

Quote:
Wishing for you that it stays fixed .
I'm with you. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #117
padre1964

Drives: I'm back !! 2012 Toyota Yaris
Had an 09 yaris that i kept for two years. traded it in for a 2012 challenger r/t. six months later i wish i had kept the yaris and just bought the dodge without trading it in. just bought a 2012 yaris a few weeks ago, this time an automatic LE. i will have this one a very long time.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #118
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
....but...would it be possible to swap a non-SE keyed hatch apparatus into that area on an SE ?
Anyone? (also see post #111 on this thread) I'm serious. To me, keyless entry is 'just another thing that might break' (and I KNOW that some other members feel that way about other features or potential accessories) and I'd prefer also have a non electronic back up method.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #119
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I put in Viper keyless entry for $48. I don't miss ABS and the corroding sensor pins problems many are encountering...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #120
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Actually YES!!!

I would have kept my 2004 Echo 3dr HB... I have now bought a BRZ which is the car I was waiting for (well actually I wanted the GT86 not the scion...)

I thought the BRZ/FRS wasn't going to land until 2014 earliest so I figured I had to replace the echo as it had 250,000kms on it but it was a great car even then at 250, all I had done was brakes, fluids a blower motor and an interior bulb.

The 2009 Yaris I have now just broke 100k but is still a good car and a little more comfy than the echo, but a little 'cheaper' in the interior plastics especially. At least I will be keeping the Yaris for winter duty and it may go to my nephew in 4 years when he gets his license.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #121
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I wouldn't choose the Fit, necessarily (never liked its looks; the Yaris is "friendlier"), but today I might go with the FIAT! Can't complain about its reliability or performance, but there have always been things, albeit little things, that have bugged me about the Yaris design. It's fine for now, but I'll be ready to move on to the next when the time comes.
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #122
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I like the fiat too, but doubt its reliable and the dealer network is real thin.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #123
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Nope, I purposefully bought a Yaris (traded in a BMW for it) because it was exactly what I wanted, a tune-able tiny hatchback that got great gas mileage and had pretty good handling.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #124
PDFileKyle

Drives: 2008 Yaris SE
I'd say no. Because of the mods I want to put onto it.
I like how unique the car is. Everyone in my town has Civics, Integras, a couple VW Golfs, and theres one IS300.
The Yaris stands out amongst these.
The only possible downside is that the "true motorheads" in the area tell me I drive a girls car.
which is fine, because gas prices just went up to $3.78, and my wallet isn't hurting,.
PDFileKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #125
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
then they aren't real gearheads, real gearheads have a soft spot for tiny hatchbacks.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #126
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
If Toyota starts selling a Turbo Yaris I might buy one
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote