Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
A little perspective

It's amazing what a little perspective will do. Coming from my last few cars (Miata, Mustang GT, 325i, Lancer Ralliart, etc...) the Yaris seems slow and cheaply made (tough, but not luxurious). Well, last night I drove a friend's 2001 Nissan Frontier and all of a sudden gained a whole new level of respect for my little Yaris.

In comparison my Yaris is 10x smoother and more comfortable and easily 3-4x faster. I'm so used to the precision shifting (with my MI short shift kit), the revvy and torquey little motor and the great brakes. Getting back into my Yaris this morning I had a smile on my face, compared to a lot of things out there my little Yaris is a very nice car and hella quick if you consider that 10 years ago a typical econo-box did something like a 14 second 0-60. The Yaris' acceleration is about the same as my first year (1990) Miata.

Awesome little cars, now if I can get some stiffer suspension and that MI intake manifold this thing will be rockin'
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
A couple of months ago I had a Chevy HHR as a rental, and was very glad indeed to get back into my Yaris. Firmer ride, more nimble, better gas mileage and it didn't look like it was designed with an axe and a shovel.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Even driving some of the cars my parents have makes me love my Yaris more. An Infiniti M20 Convertible is a great thing, but electrical gremlins leave the radio non functional, the roof leaks, the accelerator is basically an on off switch, and it sucks down gas like no tomorrow. Minivan is extremely comfortable, handles horrific, drinks gas even faster, but at least has a ton of power.

Basically the Yaris is a great mix of lightweight old fashioned fun and saving gas while remaining relatively comfortable without ridiculous over complexities just asking to create problems.

I bet even the blues and MI springs would make the Yaris handle quite well.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
without ridiculous over complexities just asking to create problems.
One of the main reasons I am so fond of the Yaris.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
A couple of months ago I had a Chevy HHR as a rental, and was very glad indeed to get back into my Yaris. Firmer ride, more nimble, better gas mileage and it didn't look like it was designed with an axe and a shovel.
I saw one (the first in quite awhile) at a gas station a few days after you posted this, and you're right. It does look like it was designed with an axe and a shovel..and also looks like a toy car, glued together.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Well I like my Yaris. I should I bought it.

A few months ago one of my sisters told me she was in the market for a new late model used car, she was thinking Camry or Accord and would I go with her to look and brow beat the vampire blood suckers etc. Sure, this seems to be my side job now.

Well I'll tell you and it really is unfair and I shouldn't do it different classes of car etc. but the 2011 Camry we got her is sooooooooooooooooooooo nice. What a ride.

OK, apples to apples my gf has a FIT. I'll take my Yaris.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
In the 70~80's I raced some SCCA, running a Datsun 1200, Volvo 142 and Mazda Rx3sp.

All of the cars had a good amount of money in the suspensions, and all handled really well. My Yaris would out slalom any of them. The Volvo might be tuff to beat, but the other two, hands down!

Just cant fight technology.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I saw one (the first in quite awhile) at a gas station a few days after you posted this, and you're right. It does look like it was designed with an axe and a shovel..and also looks like a toy car, glued together.
I've been in a late model Camry. Wonderful car, but I wouldn't trade my Yaris for it. The Camry is way too large and the gas mileage is much worse.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Admin, cleanup on aisle 5!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote