Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
electricyaris

Drives: 2007 Electric yaris
Thumbs up The Ultmate Yaris Mod- 250 ft lbs of torque

Check out my elecric conversion of an 07 Yaris- The 9" DC motor can generate over 250 lbs of torque at 0 RPM.

www.electricyaris.com
electricyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
The Yaris is the most fuel efficient gasoline powered car in America and is a step in the right direction for automakers. We should be supporting this trend towards fuel efficiency, not butchering these cars apart. It's too bad and a waste of a nice car if you ask me. If you want to convert a vehicle thats contributing to green house gases take somthing larger and less efficient. To convert a 10MPG SUV to electric would be impressive, but this conversion is a waste of time and money.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:29 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Oh come on this is still a very impressive project, I don't think it was their intention to make it a true zero emissions vehicle, but more of a technical "can it be done?" mod. I think it is cool...

Turning a heavy, high comsumption SUV into an electric vehicle would certainly be a great step forward, but the weight and other difficulties involved would make this much more challenging.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
electricyaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
The Yaris is the most fuel efficient gasoline powered car in America and is a step in the right direction for automakers. We should be supporting this trend towards fuel efficiency, not butchering these cars apart. It's too bad and a waste of a nice car if you ask me. If you want to convert a vehicle thats contributing to green house gases take somthing larger and less efficient. To convert a 10MPG SUV to electric would be impressive, but this conversion is a waste of time and money.

The Yaris is the perfect candidate due to many factors. Large cars make horrible conversions and are far to heavy- do your research first. the car is a prototype to inspire green usage and stimulate development. Most future EV's will be based on these type of cars and already have been. Most successful EV's are base on this type of car- do your research first....
Old 12-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
electricyaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Oh come on this is still a very impressive project, I don't think it was their intention to make it a true zero emissions vehicle, but more of a technical "can it be done?" mod. I think it is cool...

Turning a heavy, high comsumption SUV into an electric vehicle would certainly be a great step forward, but the weight and other difficulties involved would make this much more challenging.
The car is intended to be o emissions and will run on full solar power and be used as my promary vehicle. I tried to get a "glider" with no engine from toyota but it was not possible.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Pretty interesting!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The ultimate Yaris mod? I think not, haha... you're not fast enough to get that dubious distinction.

An extremely unique mod that further establishes this car as a robust and easy to use platform for mods of all sorts? I think so!

ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
I remember the thread where you where trying to sell the motor. I was hoping you would surface again when your project got underway.

What is the weight difference between the oem motor and the electric one you are using?

Is it possible to curve a solar panel? It would really be sweet if you had a panel that followed the curve of the roof and even the hood.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
neat, can't wait to see the finished product, and yes bill you can curve a solar panel, as most are built from small 2" squares of panels

this thing probably will go like snot, electric vehicles are usually very fast, until the battery runs low.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
electricyaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
I remember the thread where you where trying to sell the motor. I was hoping you would surface again when your project got underway.

What is the weight difference between the oem motor and the electric one you are using?

Is it possible to curve a solar panel? It would really be sweet if you had a panel that followed the curve of the roof and even the hood.
You could not generate enough power from the solar on the car today but possibly soon when parked. The motor in the yaris weighs about 170-180 complete, the 9" DC is 143. I will be updating the site in the future with info on the various systems.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Looking forward to more updates We'd all love to hear about all of the technical aspects!

BTW, are you going to use the stock clutch and flywheel with the electric motor or is an upgraded one necessary? 250 lb/ft!
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
so electric cars are better for the environment?

haha that's funny
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
so electric cars are better for the environment?

haha that's funny
ONLY if you use Solar or Wind power; expensive and not available everywhere.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricyaris View Post
The Yaris is the perfect candidate due to many factors. Large cars make horrible conversions and are far to heavy- do your research first. the car is a prototype to inspire green usage and stimulate development. Most future EV's will be based on these type of cars and already have been. Most successful EV's are base on this type of car- do your research first....
Done my research and electric is not, yet, the way to go. Your project does however help to drive technology development. Glad to see your working on electrics rather than ethanol. Here is South Dakota everyone supports ethanol because of our local economy, but, good for us doesn't mean good for all.

"Many EV conversions retain the transmission and almost always in FWD vehicles as it provides a way to easily deliver power to the wheels and the option to use more than one gear for low and high speeds. Another advantage is that it is a simple way to provide reverse without having to reverse the motor direction electrically, thus reducing parts and increasing reliability."

Why incorporate the transmission? This actually dramatically increases moving parts. Reversing polarity on an electric motor is far more simple for a reverse. Direct drive from the motor to the wheels is most efficient and RPM's can account for a single speed.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
The Yaris is gonna be a Hybrid anyway!!

But ill get the electric thing!!
Old 12-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #16
OK Yaris

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricyaris View Post
Check out my elecric conversion of an 07 Yaris- The 9" DC motor can generate over 250 lbs of torque at 0 RPM.

www.electricyaris.com

I like your project! Please keep us posted. How many miles do you expect on a charge? I know there are many variables, but will it be capable of 100 miles at highway speeds?
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Done my research and electric is not, yet, the way to go. Your project does however help to drive technology development. Glad to see your working on electrics rather than ethanol. Here is South Dakota everyone supports ethanol because of our local economy, but, good for us doesn't mean good for all.

"Many EV conversions retain the transmission and almost always in FWD vehicles as it provides a way to easily deliver power to the wheels and the option to use more than one gear for low and high speeds. Another advantage is that it is a simple way to provide reverse without having to reverse the motor direction electrically, thus reducing parts and increasing reliability."

Why incorporate the transmission? This actually dramatically increases moving parts. Reversing polarity on an electric motor is far more simple for a reverse. Direct drive from the motor to the wheels is most efficient and RPM's can account for a single speed.
well ya gotta think of the logistics of this first.

you'd need an 8000rpm motor.. which is an oddball

i'm guessing since these are DC applications you're either gonna use a PLC or a stepper drive for control, well PWM anyway ?

with no transmission you've taken a relatively easy to find 0-3600RPM DC motor and replaced it with a very high rpm motor, very very costly.

reversing the polarity could work but again you've still gotta have control in reverse to limit speed, yes?
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 PM   #18
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
do your research

Ok what vehicles are the worste for us, the ones that get 40mpg or the ones that get 10? Everyone is making little tiny striped down electric cars and not even trying with the bigger cars. It is the bigger ones that are our problem and someone should be thinking about those. Y would someone want to buy to little cars to carry there family around when they can just buy a 7 seat suv. I would like to see someone atleast do a samari or tracker or something. I seem on the military channel that they are trying electric cars one was a hummer looking one that was doing donuts jumps and just hauling ass. I have seen a electric drag vw and it was fast. I was thinking of trying to make a electric dirtbike but other than thinking about it that is as far as I got.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote