Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
09cptn

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Options for interior trim pieces

What are the different options for the interior trim? My husband complains about the big sea of grey in the middle of the console, and I agree, it would look better in a color (he likes dark forest green), or CF or something like that.

The way I see it, painting could be a good option, but I'm not sure I trust myself to do a professional job, and a shop would probably be expensive. Some of the adhesive dash kits look good, but who knows if they will stand the test of time or fit properly? Hydroprinting looks awesome, but could be darn expensive if I mess up a bunch of sheets, and if it prints wrong, is the trim piece ruined?

Let's hear some thoughts and see some pics from those of you that have spiced up the interior!
09cptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB '07
how about using plastidip
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
09cptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSquash! View Post
how about using plastidip
How does it work?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Plastidip comes in a spray can - simply spray it on the pieces you want to paint. The colors I have seen have a matte look to them. The best part? It's easy to remove plastidip if you do not like the color (Goo gone <3). I believe home depot/lowes carries black, but for other colors, try online retailers.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
Plastidip comes in a spray can - simply spray it on the pieces you want to paint. The colors I have seen have a matte look to them. The best part? It's easy to remove plastidip if you do not like the color (Goo gone <3). I believe home depot/lowes carries black, but for other colors, try online retailers.
+1
You get various colours and you can create your own colours aswell. Further there are glossifiers and metallizers which will give you a gloss finish and metallic finish. If your husband wants a dark amazon green I rate lay down a few coats of the black plastidip and them after its dry then the camo green and then a flip gold mettalizer and to finish, the glossifier.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
09cptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSquash! View Post
+1
You get various colours and you can create your own colours aswell. Further there are glossifiers and metallizers which will give you a gloss finish and metallic finish. If your husband wants a dark amazon green I rate lay down a few coats of the black plastidip and them after its dry then the camo green and then a flip gold mettalizer and to finish, the glossifier.
I looked around some other forums and some people seem to be concerned that it scratches easily or leaves colors on your hands when it is hot out. Is it only good for surfaces that aren't touched often, like the A-pillars, as opposed to things like the door trim?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I've plastidipped my car emblems and they still look great! I live in Vegas and it is frequently 100 degrees F outside. It is very easy to take off plastidip so if it scratches, you can just re-do it. I'd be more concerned about states where there is humidity, but in Vegas, I do not have a problem.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
How about something like this

I used duplicolor black trim paint to give it a oem style semi matt finish, its started to show a tiny bit of wear but then again i painted it nearly 5 years ago and plan to just touch it up when i have some time and should be good to go for a few more years. The outer trim i used neffy wrap so the combination helps break up the grey
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
09cptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
How about something like this

I used duplicolor black trim paint to give it a oem style semi matt finish, its started to show a tiny bit of wear but then again i painted it nearly 5 years ago and plan to just touch it up when i have some time and should be good to go for a few more years. The outer trim i used neffy wrap so the combination helps break up the grey
That looks good too, but the more I explore plasti-dip the more I like it. I'm just worried about the camo green being a nice rich green, could I mix it with the blaze green? Pearlize it to make it pop? What's the best option to make it foresty?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Slacky

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Go Green!
Slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
09cptn

Alright, I have all the stuff ordered. We'll see how it goes!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Can't wait to see how it comes out!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
09cptn

Well, the green didn't work out to my liking. Too light, and then going over with the gold made it too gold, so I scrapped that idea and went with gloss black logos. Might still do some interior pieces as well, probably in black, perhaps with a silver metallic. I'll post some pics soon. The logos were fairly easy to do, you just have to be careful not to scratch the clear when you remove the dip from the insides of the O's and A's.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Eventually....many years from now when my Yaris will be matte OD Green and look really off-roady I plan on taking all of my trim pieces and hitting them with a layer of silver then a layer of OD Green on top, then scratching some of the green off and weathering the panels to look like military hardware that's been in combat for a while.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote