Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Modding an old laptop

Here's the deal, I've got an old Dell 8000 laptop that I use just for writing. It runs a VERY minimal Linux install and is just basically a glorified typewriter. I'm wanting to do something cool with it so here are some ideas so far:

- Paint it
- Paint it with wrinkle-coat paint
- Spray it with Plasti-Dip (rubberized coating)
- Stickerbomb it
- Camo paint it
- Cover it in vinyl wrap (maybe carbon fiber or something)
- Possible see-through parts
- Disconnecting the optical drive and anything else I can that will save battery power

Any more ideas? I'm looking to make it REALLY unique so help me out here guys. I will be disassembling it for the process so I can make more substantial mods to it while it's apart. Give me some great ideas!
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Maybe some LEDs? I've seen some pretty fun ones in the automotive section that run off 12v although even with LED that will impact battery life...

Unhooking the optical drive will have very little impact on battery life as long as you're not using it, however removing it could have some advantages! I believe with that model you can quick-release the optical drive and use the "media bay" with a 2nd battery. I used to do contract IT work a few years ago and they had quite a few of those series in the bone yard.

Perhaps a combo effect with paint, plasti-dip and vinyl? I wouldn't bother even trying to find clear pieces for such an old laptop as they probably don't even exist. I did see some that you can replace the wrist panels with other colors, but you'd be better off (cheap) modifying yours. Visit some of the case modding sites to get some cool ideas as well, you'd be surprised what's out there.

Oh if anyone was wondering here is a picture of the Dell Inspiron 8000.

Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
A Dell 8000?? I would use it as a target for skeet shooting! PULL!! :)
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
A fun thing to do is to cut away some of the panels and then use the plastic from old CD cases to form windows. You can then put LEDs behind it or just leave it open. I used to have an old laptop that I took apart and shot the case a few times, then put clear plastic behind the bullet holes and painted up to look like it was bleeding. Put all the internals back in it and added pulsing red LEDs behind the windows. It was pretty cool and a lot of fun to do. I wish I had pictures of it, but that was back before I had a digital camera.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote