Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
ya_RS

Drives: 07 RS
Staggered???

from what i've been reading staggered is getting a different offsize/size rims for the rear/front

if so, would this be reccomemded for our yaris'?

in not please explaine what this is

thanx for the lesson ...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
it would be for looks only
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Well, the Japanese commonly stagger wheel widths, offsets, and/or tire widths to achieve the perfect fit.

And yes, this is routinely being done on the Yaris HB.

For example:

FR, 15x6.5, ET40, 205/55's; RR, 15x6.5, ET40, 225/50's.

FR, 16x7, ET42; and RR 16x7, ET35 with 195/50's or 205/50's all 'round.

FR, 17x7, ET42, 205/40/17; and RR 17x7, ET42, 215/40/17.

FR, 17x7, ET42; and RR 17x8, ET38 with 205/45/17's all 'round.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
Well, the Japanese commonly stagger wheel widths, offsets, and/or tire widths to achieve the perfect fit.

And yes, this is routinely being done on the Yaris HB.

For example:

FR, 15x6.5, ET40, 205/55's; RR, 15x6.5, ET40, 225/50's.

FR, 16x7, ET42; and RR 16x7, ET35 with 195/50's or 205/50's all 'round.

FR, 17x7, ET42, 205/40/17; and RR 17x7, ET42, 215/40/17.

FR, 17x7, ET42; and RR 17x8, ET38 with 205/45/17's all 'round.
that is actaully my next set up.... I an nixing my 205's in the rear for 215/40's
Old 07-21-2007, 03:17 AM   #5
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
staggard is always a better choice .. except it's more expensive in the long run .. hence you cant rotate your tires
Old 07-21-2007, 04:45 AM   #6
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Staggard look I understand on a Rearwheel drive but for a FF??? Is it because of the, what do you call them fenders(?), the rear stick out the side more the the front? Therefore by having wider rear is so that the rims are "flush" and not tucked?

Then again like Brick did mention "it would be for looks only" if I'm wrong all together.
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyaris View Post
staggard is always a better choice .. except it's more expensive in the long run .. hence you cant rotate your tires
I don't think staggered is necessarily a better choice, but it may improve the look on some cars.

And it isn't necessarily more expensive.

No, you won't be able to rotate tires, but that just means you'll replace the fronts at 25K miles, for example, and the rears at 35K miles, rather than all 4 at 30,000.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Staggered tires on a front wheel drive car would mean wider tires in the front than the back.

If you put wider tires in the back on a fwd car, it's only going to improve the looks.

From what I understand you want the wider tires where the power is applied to improve straight line acceleration. I've read that many people who track their cars do not like a staggered set up as it affects handling.

I wouldn't waste my money on staggered, keep all four tires the same and non-directional so you can rotate front to back and left to right, then you'll have even wear and can replace all four tires at once.

Replacing front and back tires at different times is never a good idea. Ideally you want to always replace all your tires at the same time to keep traction the same.

I also do not think our cars have nearly enough power to benefit noticeably from staggered or unidirectional tires. If you get some good bidirectional tires you'll be pleased with performance.

The best tires I ever bought were performance all season pirelli supersports. They weren't really performance tires, but more performance than all seasons and they could totally handle all weather conditions in the summer. They were recommended to me by an auto crosser when I was looking at pure summer tires and that was some of the best advice I ever took.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Staggering on the Yaris, whether it's offsets, wheels widths, or tire sizes is purely for looks... PERIOD!

So, will performance suffer if you stagger on the Yaris? Let's be realistic... what performance? Most of us are not modding the Yaris for the track; we just want a great looking car with the "perfect" wheel/tire set-up.

Yes, it will prohibit tire rotation, but if you're trying to achieve the "right" look, then who the hell cares about rotating inexpensive street tires anyway.

True, rotating tires will provide for more even wear all 'round, and the opportunity to buy 4 new tires at one time. Big deal!

As long as you're not one of those pepole who run tires almost bald before replacing them, then changing two tires at a time when they're no more than about 70% worn won't make any significant difference in traction.

If you're worried about performance issues, and you must rotate for peace of mind, then find a good offset that will work all 'round and look good.

And, if you want a little better look, but still have to rotate, then use a quality hubentric spacer in the rear.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
people will clown on you and call you a weirdo and point their finger at you for trying to make a ff car look like a fr car. or at least i will

actually, they may just think you're ignorant about the fact your car is ff. but to each his own.
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by reznunt View Post
people will clown on you and call you a weirdo and point their finger at you for trying to make a ff car look like a fr car. or at least i will

actually, they may just think you're ignorant about the fact your car is ff. but to each his own.
Sorta like....putting alloys on, putting wide whitewalls on, reupholstering/painting interior, etc., etc. Changing the car for looks is mainly what a lot of the forum is about. We do drive the Egg car, right!!!!

Do what trips your trigger, and enjpy!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Just do what makes you happy when you stand back and look at your little Yaris... something many of us really take pleasure in.

Most on this forum just want a cool looking car. Except for some minor mods (a shift knob, a shorty antenna, a sticker or emblem, and maybe foglights), wheels and tires will be the only major change we make to our beloved cars. And, we're not talking about running some radical set-ups that would compromise safety and handling here. Generally, we're just talking about some pretty meek staggering (eg. 17x7's, ET42, FR 205/40, RR 215/40). Noone's even going to notice the staggering we're talking about here; they'll only see that the car looks great and the wheels fit especially well... perfect!

Anyway, if running 16x7's, ET45 up front and ET38 in the rear make the car look better but somehow make us ignorant to a few, so be it.

BTW, if you're looking to race your Yaris on weekends, you're not going to run your street set-up anyway; you'll pop on your
15's for that before you hit the track.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
ya_RS

Drives: 07 RS
Oh i dont plan on doing it.... i just wanted to learn the actual terminology and if its do-able on our cars...

thanx for all the input though,

my car is for pure function and fun.... something i can take long driving and enjoy.... but look nice
Old 07-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
reznunt
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Sorta like....putting alloys on, putting wide whitewalls on, reupholstering/painting interior, etc., etc. Changing the car for looks is mainly what a lot of the forum is about. We do drive the Egg car, right!!!!

Do what trips your trigger, and enjpy!
exactly, and changing the car to look like you don't know what you are doing is what i'm talking about.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
reznunt
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
Generally, we're just talking about some pretty meek staggering (eg. 17x7's, ET42, FR 205/40, RR 215/40). Noone's even going to notice the staggering we're talking about here; they'll only see that the car looks great and the wheels fit especially well... perfect!
well this is COMPLETELY different. if you are doing a staggered setup to make everything look more flush (front compared to rear) and not for the staggered look. to run a staggered setup to get the staggered look is completely different and we must be comparing apples with oranges.

for example, will you be running a 1-piece where it is harder to tell it is staggered, or will you be running 2-piece or 3-piece wheels where the lip size will obviously tell you that it's a staggered setup? if it's the latter then yes, i as well as many other performance-minded people will give you a funny look . if you are talking about tires, then yes, i will be able to tell that they are wider in the back and i'll give you the same look. but i always revert to my main rule when it comes to this sort of thing... to each his own!
Old 07-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
reznunt
Hi!

and another thing to consider... if you all really want a "cleaner look", instead of running a staggered setup, try spacers in the rear. since you aren't concerned with performance AND don't want the staggered look, this will allow you to rotate your tires as well as make it easier to sell your wheels and save you from trying to find someone to buy your staggered wheels.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
exactly, and changing the car to look like you don't know what you are doing is what i'm talking about.
Individuality is what I'm talking about....functionaly bone stock aint bad.

Sorry if off topic!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ww1.JPG (131.5 KB, 176 views)
Old 07-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
and another thing to consider... if you all really want a "cleaner look", instead of running a staggered setup, try spacers in the rear. since you aren't concerned with performance AND don't want the staggered look, this will allow you to rotate your tires as well as make it easier to sell your wheels and save you from trying to find someone to buy your staggered wheels.

this makes sense^

I will say the more I look at the rear fenders the more it seems to flow naturally without spacers. I am going to hold off on doing this myself.