Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 AM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
ZPI to produce yaris turbo kit and exhaust

Hey guys. I am just letting you all know that earlier today I dropped my Yaris sedan off at ZPI Racing. They are using my car as the model to make a full exhaust for the sedan. They will offer an axleback exhaust and a mid pipe for those that want both. The exhaust parts should come in tomorrow and once everything is fabbed up they will begin producing them for retail. They are also going to be developing a turbo kit for the Yaris. They aren't sure if it will be a midstream (like their XB kit, where the turbo is located further downstream then normal) or if it will be a more traditional setup. The main issue they are concerned with for a traditional setup, is that the ecu would be located too closely to the turbo. You can contact Kenny at ZPI with any questions that you may have on the kits, or the exhaust. Their website is www.ZPIracing.net, you can also go onto their website and look at the gallery section where they will be updating as the build continues. They are shooting for 200 whp and if they accomplish this, the car should run in the 12's. Their XB kit set down 191 hp so it shouldn't be a stretch. I will keep you posted as I get more info. Check out their site for updates.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Sounds good. I would like to at least get 150 whp out of the yaris. I have read the blitz s/c will do this. I just have not seen a price yet.
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
dansides

Drives: 07 3 dr
4800.00 blitz
dansides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Good news indeed.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
ZPIracing

Drives: Scions
we are hoping to keep this kit around the 3k price range. Our clutch will work on the Yaris platform. We will also have a puley and some suspension mods out very soon...

Thanks for the support and let us know if you would like to see anything else for the Yaris that does not seem to be in the pipeline.
ZPIracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Katana

Ι would like to see a turbo kit for the smaller engine, the 2SZ-FE.It is 1.3lt.Will you PLEASE try to make it?There is no kit for my engine and lots of people in Greece would buy it!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
ZPIracing

send me some under hood pics, focus on the exhaust manifold, midpipe and MAF sensor.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPIracing View Post
send me some under hood pics, focus on the exhaust manifold, midpipe and MAF sensor.
Ok, I have taken the pics.

The engine(with CAI):

The engine(without CAI):

MAF Sensor:

and

I will take some pics that show the exhaust manifold.What is the midpipe?

Is there any chance for me???
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
ZPIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Ok, I have taken the pics.

The engine(with CAI):

The engine(without CAI):

MAF Sensor:

and

I will take some pics that show the exhaust manifold.What is the midpipe?

Is there any chance for me???

So it is a front facing engine, with a Denso MAF. I think we could build the kit you would have to give us some exact measurments and provide us with some data but I do not think it is impossible. If and when you are serious let me know.

-Kenny
Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Katana

Quote:
So it is a front facing engine, with a Denso MAF. I think we could build the kit you would have to give us some exact measurments and provide us with some data but I do not think it is impossible. If and when you are serious let me know.

-Kenny
Ι am kind of serious about it, if the cost is kept around 3k.The thing is, that even if I do not end up buying it, there is a lot of interest about this engine globally.Noone has ever made a turbo kit for it.

Just give me directions and I will measure everything for you.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
yarisTOONR82
feed me knowledge!!!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr HB.
This post was originally from the ELPrototypes website, and I was just wondering what ZPI Racing is going to do in order to get around the problems listed below.

Turbo charging the 1nz-fe has proven to be chore. It responds to boost quite nicely with a properly sized turbo. But its downfalls are the internals and its engine management.
Lets touch on the internals. First and foremost are the rods. Although quite strong for their size, they are designed for normal aspiration only. A half point higher in compression is about all they can handle daily without failure. Once boost is added to the equation, it becomes Russian roulette as to when they will let loose. You may last eight months with 50,000 miles or blow it the first pass down the street; there are no warning signs. We know this because of the testing of our turbo kit for the last year. The testing started on the Echo then was transferred to a Scion. The testing was controlled and only once was it taken past its set 7-psi mark while in our possession. Its one time high boost pass on the dyno was done to see how much the turbo would produce at maximum efficiency. Fueling and timing were changed to handle this. Every month the pan was dropped and there were no signs of abnormal rod bearing wear. The compression was straight across the board every time. The first motor lasted 6 months with about 35,000 miles. Its life was cut short while at the paint shop. Rumors placed it at the local street races near the paint shop, which they had for 3 weeks. All the baked on rubber in the fender well was the first clue. It let loose on its way back from them. A fresh motor was installed ASAP to continue the testing. The old motor was broke down to find the rod broke right above the crank pin. The dangling rod was beaten into the walls and punctured holes on both sides of the block. The second one let loose 12,467 miles later. It had seen one race with 3 passes at 9 psi. Fueling and timing were also changed to handle this. Other than that it was daily driven. The rods let go again, the same way, only this time it punctured the water jacket and destroyed the head. These engines have the crankshaft offset 12mm to the thrust side of the cylinder bore centerline. This reduces the side force generated at maximum compression, for reduced friction and improved fuel economy. Toyota calculates the offset crankshaft configuration reduces fuel consumption by between one and three percent. Unfortunately, this throws the angle of the rod way out on its upward travel causing the rod to just give up under boost and snap. If there is any detonation or pre-ignition this breakage will occur at an accelerated rate. The movement and breakage of the cylinder walls is the same as Honda’s open deck. Although we have yet to split one, we designed a block guard just in case. This product keeps cylinders from moving around and from splitting open the top of the bore. We are currently designing a forged replacement rod as well as a rod piston combo for high boost applications. The first of the sleeved blocks is being tested now.
Now for the ecu. It cannot handle boost in its stock form. Its timing is set for the stock parameters only. It will not handle larger injectors either. Piggyback or stand-alone management is needed to fuel the turbo properly, end of story.
From what we have seen, these issues probably were found by the likes of Blitz and Greddy long before we did. That’s why the boost on their kits was so low. The stock injectors will supply enough fuel for 3 to 4 psi if the MAF reaches full voltage and gets the injectors to 85 percent duty. Unfortunately you end up with a 15:1 AFR at peak rpm this way. Good for passing emissions but bad for the motor. The RS turbo Vitz has an ecu calibrated for the larger injectors that feed 150 ps at the flywheel which in turn is 127 ps at the wheels. The blitz s/c was turning 122 hp to the wheels without an ecu for the US market. With the ecu (JDM only), the s/c put down 129 ps to the wheels. It seems like the kits are limited to 150 at the flywheel but no one says how long it will last. Our turbo kit produced 144 hp and 150 tq to the wheels. That’s 170 hp at the flywheel. We have worked with several management systems and we will inform the public of the best one for our kit. We will release our kit soon but cannot warranty it except for workmanship. This kit will push your engine over the edge in the long run but if you build it our kit will be able to provide up to 250 hp at the flywheel. That’s 217 at the wheels. With all this said, it is up to you, the consumer, to decide whether this kit is right for you.
yarisTOONR82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
ZPIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisTOONR82 View Post
This post was originally from the ELPrototypes website, and I was just wondering what ZPI Racing is going to do in order to get around the problems listed below.

Turbo charging the 1nz-fe has proven to be chore. It responds to boost quite nicely with a properly sized turbo. But its downfalls are the internals and its engine management.
Lets touch on the internals. First and foremost are the rods. Although quite strong for their size, they are designed for normal aspiration only. A half point higher in compression is about all they can handle daily without failure. Once boost is added to the equation, it becomes Russian roulette as to when they will let loose. You may last eight months with 50,000 miles or blow it the first pass down the street; there are no warning signs. We know this because of the testing of our turbo kit for the last year. The testing started on the Echo then was transferred to a Scion. The testing was controlled and only once was it taken past its set 7-psi mark while in our possession. Its one time high boost pass on the dyno was done to see how much the turbo would produce at maximum efficiency. Fueling and timing were changed to handle this. Every month the pan was dropped and there were no signs of abnormal rod bearing wear. The compression was straight across the board every time. The first motor lasted 6 months with about 35,000 miles. Its life was cut short while at the paint shop. Rumors placed it at the local street races near the paint shop, which they had for 3 weeks. All the baked on rubber in the fender well was the first clue. It let loose on its way back from them. A fresh motor was installed ASAP to continue the testing. The old motor was broke down to find the rod broke right above the crank pin. The dangling rod was beaten into the walls and punctured holes on both sides of the block. The second one let loose 12,467 miles later. It had seen one race with 3 passes at 9 psi. Fueling and timing were also changed to handle this. Other than that it was daily driven. The rods let go again, the same way, only this time it punctured the water jacket and destroyed the head. These engines have the crankshaft offset 12mm to the thrust side of the cylinder bore centerline. This reduces the side force generated at maximum compression, for reduced friction and improved fuel economy. Toyota calculates the offset crankshaft configuration reduces fuel consumption by between one and three percent. Unfortunately, this throws the angle of the rod way out on its upward travel causing the rod to just give up under boost and snap. If there is any detonation or pre-ignition this breakage will occur at an accelerated rate. The movement and breakage of the cylinder walls is the same as Honda’s open deck. Although we have yet to split one, we designed a block guard just in case. This product keeps cylinders from moving around and from splitting open the top of the bore. We are currently designing a forged replacement rod as well as a rod piston combo for high boost applications. The first of the sleeved blocks is being tested now.
Now for the ecu. It cannot handle boost in its stock form. Its timing is set for the stock parameters only. It will not handle larger injectors either. Piggyback or stand-alone management is needed to fuel the turbo properly, end of story.
From what we have seen, these issues probably were found by the likes of Blitz and Greddy long before we did. That’s why the boost on their kits was so low. The stock injectors will supply enough fuel for 3 to 4 psi if the MAF reaches full voltage and gets the injectors to 85 percent duty. Unfortunately you end up with a 15:1 AFR at peak rpm this way. Good for passing emissions but bad for the motor. The RS turbo Vitz has an ecu calibrated for the larger injectors that feed 150 ps at the flywheel which in turn is 127 ps at the wheels. The blitz s/c was turning 122 hp to the wheels without an ecu for the US market. With the ecu (JDM only), the s/c put down 129 ps to the wheels. It seems like the kits are limited to 150 at the flywheel but no one says how long it will last. Our turbo kit produced 144 hp and 150 tq to the wheels. That’s 170 hp at the flywheel. We have worked with several management systems and we will inform the public of the best one for our kit. We will release our kit soon but cannot warranty it except for workmanship. This kit will push your engine over the edge in the long run but if you build it our kit will be able to provide up to 250 hp at the flywheel. That’s 217 at the wheels. With all this said, it is up to you, the consumer, to decide whether this kit is right for you.

All this sounds like is the rambling of a guy who is trying to sell turbo kits after he blew his car up. We have made more power than this on the 1nz for a longer period of time. Tuning is critical but we have ran 7psi with no engine management and made 181 at the wheels doing so. We have been over 200whp and we beat the crap out of the car far worst than anyone would do to their own car and we are yet to have any issues.

I am not to say these engines are bullet proof but we dealt with this same type of criticism on the tC engines until we made 376whp and 420ft lbs on a stock engine with a stock manifold hacked and welded with no intercooler.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #13
yarisTOONR82
feed me knowledge!!!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr HB.
Quote:
All this sounds like is the rambling of a guy who is trying to sell turbo kits after he blew his car up. We have made more power than this on the 1nz for a longer period of time. Tuning is critical but we have ran 7psi with no engine management and made 181 at the wheels doing so. We have been over 200whp and we beat the crap out of the car far worst than anyone would do to their own car and we are yet to have any issues.

I am not to say these engines are bullet proof but we dealt with this same type of criticism on the tC engines until we made 376whp and 420ft lbs on a stock engine with a stock manifold hacked and welded with no intercooler.
do you have any video? I'd love to see it in action.
yarisTOONR82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
check out the site, lots of goodies!

http://www.zpiracing.net/
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Question, at this low boost, is there any real advantage to using an intercooler? What would be an expected power loss without one, and would it have a noticerable effect on response (less lag)?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #16
ZPIracing

no i am a big fan of running low boost with no intercooler . I think this is a great way for a customer to get into a kit at a reasonable price and for you to see some power gains. Below are some pics of our Stage 0 on a tC for an example.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
very stealth, I like

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #18
Katana

Εxcellent result.

Personally, I would choose to fit in an intercooler, just to have a car that looks more evil.