Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Micro Image center exhaust...

Today was a totally fun day because I got to visit Jeff at Micro Image to take a look at their really cool axle back center exit exhaust...

...and I went home with one.

It's 2.25 pounds heavier than the stock exhaust. One reason is that the tubing is a lot larger. The muffler is a small oval 2 1/4 inch offset port Magna Flow Performance muffler.

the ground clearance is superb as the whole exhaust tucks so nicely up inside the car without anything hanging down, and without anything touching anything else that it shouldnt touch.

I sprayed the whole thing BBQ black (a personal favorite) so that none of the exhaust would show up except just the edges of the stainless steel twin tips.

I really like the simple unobtrusive look with as little of the exhaust visible as possible.

It utilizes the stock spring bolts and comes with matching nuts as the stock nuts are flash welded onto the flange that was removed along with the original exhaust.

The flat oval muffler fits well and lays parallel to the ground.

It has an understated look which I find very appealing. The exhaust uses the two original rubber donuts and lines up perfectly with them when the spring bolts are snugged down. The third mount on the twin tip is a self tapping screw with a small angled bracket that you attach to the crash bar behind the bumper. I just used a little piece of wire to attach the third donut to that angle bracket as there's very little room to work there. It hardly needs to support any weight, because almost all the weight is on the two stock donuts. It's just used to slightly adjust the height of the tip.

...and it sounds even better than it looks.

It's basically silent at idle and you couldn't tell it from the sound of the stock exhaust. Running it has a rich mellow tone with absolutely no raspy ricey overtones. On deceleration it has a pleasant burble like a small European 60's sports car. You really hear it when you step on the gas, but even then it still retains its rich deep warm tone with no other extraneous irritating noises.

In my opinion, this was a very well thought out product design. My thanks to Garm and Jeff for producing a really fine and unique product that no one else makes.

Last edited by tooter; 06-07-2012 at 12:28 AM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote