Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Angry Why is CNN ripping on Yaris?

I come to work today, and 3 people tell me that CNN rated Yaris one of the 11 worst cars of the year...and i was like wtf? apperantly when collided with another car at 40 mph, there was no more yaris, but just scrap of metal. Did anyone see this on tv? did they show Sedan or Hatchback? anyhow i was pissed...

CNN
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
bradfucious
Red Dwarf II

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to bradfucious Send a message via MSN to bradfucious Send a message via Yahoo to bradfucious
Meh, I lived to tell about it. I lost the battle, of course, but walked away with minor injuries and the car was still able to be repaired.
bradfucious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Deltasix

Drives: '07 Liftback: Work in Progress
Send a message via AIM to Deltasix
Yeah, saw it today as well, more info about it here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16315
Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
The Yaris has some pretty bad reviews out there, and I nearly dropped her of my list because of that, but of course, I'm glad I didn't. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my Yaris, and I drive stock.

Don't sweat it and enjoy your cool little car.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I've been rammed at 40 mph and I was at a standstill. My Yaris held up like a champ. Had I been driving a GM, the car might have burst into flames and I would have met a sudden fiery end.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
bradfucious
Red Dwarf II

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to bradfucious Send a message via MSN to bradfucious Send a message via Yahoo to bradfucious
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I've been rammed at 40 mph and I was at a standstill. My Yaris held up like a champ. Had I been driving a GM, the car might have burst into flames and I would have met a sudden fiery end.
Careful, you're in their backyard...they might come get you and make you drive an Aveo ;)
bradfucious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Oh trust me, I get it almost daily..."You could have bought an Aveo!" from random rednecks and disgruntled union workers alike. If I wanted a Korean car, I would have bought one. The sad thing is most of the Domestic humpers here don't even know the Aveo is Korean made yet many of the owners tout how patriotic they are by purchasing an American car. Trust me, it's really hard to not laugh or even merely smile at it.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
More, QQ.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
well, the aveo5 is #4 of 11 worst cars according to CNN, while the yaris came out 7th.

Quote:
Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission)
• Consumer Reports: The 10 best cars
Score: 36
Highs: Front access, turning circle, hatchback versatility
Lows: Acceleration, handling, vague shifter
The Yaris is the smallest and least expensive car Toyota sells in the United States. It actually ranks at the top of the list in both reliability and low cost of ownership, but those factors are not included in Consumer Reports' basic vehicle score.

The Yaris base model with an automatic transmission ranked higher, earning an overall score of 50.
Quote:
Chevrolet Aveo5
• Consumer Reports: The 10 best cars
Score: 32
Highs: Front access, turning circle, hatchback
Lows: Acceleration, handling
The Aveo is designed and built in South Korea, site of General Motors' global design and engineering base for small cars.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Edgarm87

Drives: 2008 Stock Yaris Sedan
You can never go wrong with a Toyota. Plus, great gas mileage. What else do you expect out of a sub-compact car? They are not made of steel. Aveos are a POS btw...like all GM sedans.
Edgarm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Yeah...

I had the "opportunity" to drive an Aveo a few months ago. It was new and had terrible handling compared to my stock sedan. It's interior was poorly assembled and rattled terribly. The gas mileage was sub 32 mpg as well. This is contrast to my 43 mpg that I am getting currently from my Yaris.

I have come from owning a Dodge SRT-4 before my Yaris S.

I will NOT go back to the American CRAPWAGONS. The cars are TERRIBLY engineered, TERRIBLY assembled, and have TERRIBLE support from the dealers (Dodge).

I purchased my Yaris to eventually trade up into a Carolla then a Camry. At this point I have had NO problems at all with the way the dealership has treated me and actually enjoy in a small part going to the dealer to spend a little bit of money for my service. This is in direct contrast to the many multiple times where I had to take my SRT-4 in for service for unscheduled service whether it be due to my wastegate going bad at only 3000 miles (and them replacing the ENTIRE turbo system when they just needed to replace the wastegate) to the Dodge dealers not being able to figure out how to stoop my stock plug wires from misfiring and melting because of the close relationship to the turbo itself (I had to put Magnecore race wires and an aluminum heateshield). This was all within 10000 miles of me purchasing the car off the showroom floor. I was also into the dealerships NO LESS than 12 times for hoses popping off under boost pressure. Oh, and my tranny was replaced at 25000 miles...I never took it to the track at all...AND they tried to charge me for resurfacing the flywheel and charging me for a clutch when the ENTIRE tranny (plus the flywheel and clutch) comes in a bolt on ready "pack" from the manufacturer.

...I digress...

Unless I am buying a classic American car, I will NEVER buy an American vehicle again. Toyota has treated me very well. I recognize that and will continue to do business with this great company.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
The biggest car usually comes out better in an accident,but i'm not about to go out and buy a tank,i'll take my chances with the Yaris.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Yarisworld.com... the place to come for completely unbiased reviews of vehicles made by car companies other than Toyota!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
Edgarm87

Drives: 2008 Stock Yaris Sedan
HAHAHAHAHA! Very True....
Edgarm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckevalastin View Post
Yarisworld.com... the place to come for completely unbiased reviews of vehicles made by car companies other than Toyota!

Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I will NOT go back to the American CRAPWAGONS. The cars are TERRIBLY engineered, TERRIBLY assembled, and have TERRIBLE support from the dealers (Dodge).
Right on...
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #17
brody9981

Drives: 09 Mazda Miata MX5
I dont believe anything CNN has to say anyways.....biased democrat propaganda!
brody9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
conurebuddy

Drives: 5 dr Yaris LB
CNN did at least give the Yaris credit for being #5 on the list of top twelve most eco-friendly cars, while the Fit was #12.
conurebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yaris cnn worst