Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Bug guts!

I have tried two different kinds of wax on my Flint Mica Yaris sedan, and neither of them seem to keep the bug guts from penetrating into the paint.

Is there such a product that will NOT allow bug guts to permanently stain the paint?

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I've had good luck with Eagle One's spray Nanuwax. It also comes in a paste but takes longer to apply. Hit the car every two weeks or so and you are good to go. Takes about 15 minutes to do the whole car.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
Hit the car every two weeks or so and you are good to go

Any good wax job should last much much much longer than 2 weeks. I use meguiars and I don't have too much trouble with bugs.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I sometimes get bug stains in the paint too. I usually use an ultra fine polish to rub them out then put a carnuba wax back on to protect the finish. Malms.com is the only place I order my stuff from, but Meguiars makes some pretty good products as well. Best advise I can think of is the same for bird droppings-get 'em off as soon as you can so a stain does not set in. Keep some quick detailer and a rag with your super particular about your paint like I am. Otherwise, try and wash the front regularly.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
I sometimes get bug stains in the paint too. I usually use an ultra fine polish to rub them out then put a carnuba wax back on to protect the finish. Malms.com is the only place I order my stuff from, but Meguiars makes some pretty good products as well. Best advise I can think of is the same for bird droppings-get 'em off as soon as you can so a stain does not set in. Keep some quick detailer and a rag with your super particular about your paint like I am. Otherwise, try and wash the front regularly.
The problem has been that it has rained so much in the last several weeks that it has not been practical to wash the car. Otherwise, I would have gotten those bug guts off right away.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
The problem has been that it has rained so much in the last several weeks that it has not been practical to wash the car. Otherwise, I would have gotten those bug guts off right away.

Tom
Ya but as he pointed out, you can just carry a rag with you. Really it will be a test of your wax job. If you did a good job, it should just wipe off fairly easily the first day - just do a once over when you get out after work and wipe down the big stuff. If your wax is starting to go bad, rub off, or you just didn't do a good job, it will take more scrubbing with a rag, but it will still come off. The same goes for the bottom of the doors and the bumper(mudguards are next on my checklist). If I wipe them down every day it takes 20 seconds. If I let it build for 2 weeks I gotta wash the whole thing.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
If I wipe them down every day it takes 20 seconds. If I let it build for 2 weeks I gotta wash the whole thing.
What do you use to wipe the bug guts off with? Just a rag and water? Or is there a specific product that you use?

2 days of highway driving with my commute has my front bumper coated with bug guts. Glad I did a really good wax job on Saturday using Meguiar's Liquid Gold wax. Just need something to remove those darn bugs on a more regular basis.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quick detail spray and microfiber. You have to be vigilant and clean EVERY day regardless of rain. The only way to remove what appears to be bake in is via clay bar...then follow with polish/glaze then sealant....then wax. I highly recommend using a sealant on a DD. Then...for enhanced shine, depth and protection...follow up with a quality carnuba wax.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
DevilGirl

Any particular detail spray? Or will any exterior detail spray work? Thoughts on what works the best?

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Wink

Nothing a little Liquid Plumber wouldn't take care of. Or Easy-Off oven cleaner.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Nothing a little Liquid Plumber wouldn't take care of. Or Easy-Off oven cleaner.
That doesn't even remotely sound healthy for the paint. Those are some pretty abbrasive cleaners....

Old 08-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
That doesn't even remotely sound healthy for the paint. Those are some pretty abbrasive cleaners....
Check the winking smiley above the post.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Make sure to use a good clay lubricant. I highly recommend Clay Magic's fine grade clade. Anything more mild and you will incur micro-marring and you'll need to polish with a machine. Griot's garage also have a nice mild clay bar in good weight at a good price.

Detail spray and/or clay spray by Meguiar's I like (Final Inspection Spray #34) but there are hundreds out there.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
lololol I just use elbow grease... lots and lots of rubbing.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
Clay bar + spit does wonders...

Cheers
Someone at IA said that lol I think it was Jill, by the way i havent heard from her
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #16
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
The problem with bug guts is their blood. They become immune to the bug sprays and what not, and it just gets into their blood, and stays there. So the chemicals in their blood is pretty acidic, and gets on your paint, and its at it. The best way to prevent it from damaging your paint?
Wash the front end after a long trip.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfiend View Post
Wash the front end after a long trip.
That would be a daily basis for me. My commute is roughly a lil over 100 mile round trip. Primarily highway driving (well, turnpike really). Just one day and I have a lot of bug guts. And days like yesterday and today, hard to get a chance to actually wash the car since it's raining constantly. Not to mention I don't have a garage to put my car into to be out of the rain to just some other method of cleaning just the front bumper...

Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
I live in rural hilly PA drive a white car and the bugs are murder as I drive to work at night, I've been studying this at Autotopia and it sounds like what we need is called Collinite 476. You can you a claybar and Klasse AIO prior and maybe even a polish prior to the AIO. They are saying over there that the Collinite beads water for 7 months. I'm lucky to make it thru one rain storm with my Meuairs Gold Caranuba. his stuff is supposed to be in a different league. I have a bottle of Klase SG, but I won't be using it after hearing about the superiority of the Colinite. Evidently it was developed as an electrical insulator and itsn't marketed heavily toward the auto market, seems to be a secrete discovery,

I am not saying you wont get bug but they should fal right off.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote