Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Turbo kit from Ebay - whatr some opinions?

I have gone back to this item I dont know how many times to take a look, obviously its not high quality stuff but short of a fuel computer anyone think this crap is worth a try?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6520&rd=1&rd=1
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
I have gone back to this item I dont know how many times to take a look, obviously its not high quality stuff but short of a fuel computer anyone think this crap is worth a try?
3476 views - you are quite the busy bee

I personally would hold back the impulsive tendency and wait for a proper turbo kit.

But if you are really comfortable with the work involved and are prepared to source missing parts and components, I say do it. I've witnessed self installed (aka hack job) turbos on late model Hondas and they were pretty functional (and good).
Old 11-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
It fits any car?
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6520&rd=1&rd=1

plus a custom exhaust header, plus custom piping, plus the fuel control, plus the blown engine cost's, plus the cost of running higher octane fuel, plus the extra wear on the tranny/clutch, plus the torque steer.... i say go for it, someone has to be the first, i'll wait for trd's products, plug and play!!
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
khrys771
I've made a post!

Drives: mazda 323
that turbo is the same turbo that SSautochrom sales, otherwise pure crap made in china. do a general search on the web about SS autochrome.
khrys771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
doesnt look that bad to me? I did search and saw mixed reviews... but where there are mixed reviews, that means there are some positives :)

Add it up and see how much it saves you as opposed to ebaying a used turbo, and just sourcing all the parts seperately. I've heard of some kits, with some ebay expertise, getting all new stuff for under 1200.

I dont see the turbo itself being all that impossible, the tuning of it is all that worries me.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
If I was looking for a low-cost way to get high horsepower gains, I wouldn't be thinking of a turbo. I would be thinking nitrous.

Forced induction is a big step. It requires a proper tuning of the ECU which will (likely) cost you hundreds at your local reputable dyno shop, and in the case of a turbo will probably require overseas parts or custom parts for proper fitment. It definitely isn't a good area of modification to skimp on. For that reason, I wouldn't touch the turbo listed here with a 49 1/2 foot pole.

The Yaris's power band screams supercharger to me anyway. A supercharged and sprayed Yaris would be quite the quick little kart.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 11-26-2006 at 12:45 AM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
First off, that turbo is absolute garbage. It will fail in short order.

Second, its wayy to big for a 1.5L motor.

Unless your pushing 800hp most ebay intercoolers will work fine.

I actually have that same exact boost controller and BOV on my PT cruiser.

The boost controller works fine, but the BOV had some initial quality issues. The casting for the body was horrid, so much so that there was a hole in the body that I needed to epoxy. The internals look pretty decent.

I would go with a garrett gt28r turbo. It would be a close match for the yaris motor.
acrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:47 AM   #9
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
If I was looking for a low-cost way to get high horsepower gains, I wouldn't be thinking of a turbo. I would be thinking nitrous.

Forced induction is a big step. It requires a proper tuning of the ECU which will (likely) cost you hundreds at your local reputable dyno shop, and in the case of a turbo will probably require overseas parts or custom parts for proper fitment. It definitely isn't a good area of modification to skimp on. For that reason, I wouldn't touch the turbo listed here with a 49 1/2 foot pole.

The Yaris's power band screams supercharger to me anyway. A supercharged and sprayed Yaris would be quite the quick little kart.
NOS would be fun, I'm considering headin in that direction instead of a turbo... the turbo is so $. Even a small shot of NOS would be pretty sweet.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
You will never be happy with nitrous. Since the motor would only be able to stand a very small "shot" you would barely feel it. Nitrous is not really a street friendly mod. Plus at $50 a refill it will get old really fast.
acrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
The thing one needs to consider is the existing compression ratio of the engine along with several other factors; i.e, the added fuel pressure requirements, running premium fuel, recalibrating the ECU to enrichen as boost is applied as well as the longevity of the engine components. I'm not sure, but the turbo RS model may have different componens (pistons and rods) to handle the pressure along with a recalibrated ECU. That is generally the case when the factory produces a turbo. This is not to say it can't be done after the fact but a little research and extreme care should be considered. I'm sure some one will produce the right kit for it.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
mikeukrainetz

There are correct kits already for this application by numerous compaines, Blitz being one example for the Xb but check out the price tag. Im not condoning buying cheap shit parts but I dont want to pay 'Hilfiger' prices for the same shit parts. I do pretty much all my own wrenching, always have and it doesnt bother me a bit, I just hate all this computer controlled stuff as 'efficient' and 'power producing' as it may be. Nothing sounds as good or as grin enducing than a carbureted big block ford or chev...

Ive never done a turbo, I just bought an 86 volvo turbo wagon and love it. Theres an awsome shop in my area that does performance tuning and dyno for a decent price (so Ive heard) and tons of custom machine shops (CNC, gotta love it). I do all my own CAD design and can produce the necessary files for CNC to save a bundle in design but dont have a flow bench or equivalent software for testing.

Nitrous is great if your street racing or running the quarter and not much else, it costs $100 to fill a 10lb tank here.

The compression issue is fairly easy to deal with - see this link for a perfect example http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/headgaskets.html

Maybe (from what response Ive got) Ill look for a more appropriate turbo but what about the other parts, tubes, hoses, intercooler? From what Ive found a decent intercooler can run about $300 plus. I guess I was more interested in the fact it came as a total kit (less controller). Personally I think it would be easier to retro fit an existing GM supercharger but am concerned with the amount of power that can be produced from such a small displacement without extremely high boost.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #13
Katana

Guys just wait up for the Blitz kit...
Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #14
mikeukrainetz

I wont have any choice but to wait until spring / early summer but hate the fact these things are going for 4 grand.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
Katana

I wouldn't trust them in my car...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #16
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
That 57 trim is a copy of a Garret bastard turbo. Very inefficient and not worth getting. Never mind the only thing that would probably fit on that "kit" is the BOV. The rest is way to big for a 1.5l
Just my 2 cents
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
mikeukrainetz

Ive never owned / built a turbo except for my wifes volvo we just bought so Im still playing catch-up on FI setups other than supercharging (Ive stuck with ford / chev V8s never imports) the principles are pretty much the same.
I understand the size may be oversize for the Yaris its the only kit that was available at the time to use for asking the question.
If I wasnt now seriously considering an engine swap I would dig a little deeper into the FI setups.

Quick question on the turbos - is it then worth it to just buy a Garret or other turbo and use a 'kit' for the rest of the parts? More or less doubling the cost but getting a decent turbo? Vibrant here in canada sells intercoolers but theyre also around 300+ a piece.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:51 PM   #18
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
I've been trying to scavenge the junkyards now for some time looking for a Dodge Shelby CSX-VNT ... I want one of those Garret VNTs, granted I'd have to make some sort of custom controller to control the vanes, but a turbo with practically no lag, and a shorter spool up time is just so appealing... I've been talking to the people at Garret, but they don't seem to want to sell single VNTs to a non OEM
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote