Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #145
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Well I ordered a 7psi wastegate actuator. And Im also looking into more heat sheilding. Found a good websight. http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/au...e_products.php
^^ Yeah , I posted a link to that website like 5 post previous to this lol
Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #146
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
^^ Yeah , I posted a link to that website like 5 post previous to this lol
O ya, I was wondering how I found that place. Old age kicks in and U start repeat-in!
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #147
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Did you test the actuator cracking pressure with a regulator? Think you may be overboosting? Or have a leak somewhere in one of your lines? Try to put a MBC and cap it off if that is the case if you can't find the issue. If you are dead set on a new wastegate, and it does the same thing,, you have an issue with how you set it up.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #148
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Did you test the actuator cracking pressure with a regulator? Think you may be overboosting? Or have a leak somewhere in one of your lines? Try to put a MBC and cap it off if that is the case if you can't find the issue. If you are dead set on a new wastegate, and it does the same thing,, you have an issue with how you set it up.
Going to remove acuator tomarrow and try to test with my compressor. Vaccume leak is unlikely. There is only a 3in piece of vac. line between turbo compressor housing and actuator and it is clamped on both ends. There is no MBC tapped in. A MBC can only raise boost pressure it can not lower it. Base boost pressure is decided by the spring force on the wastegate actuator.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #149
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It better to run a lower pressure waste-gate and use an electronic boost controller.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #150
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ +1 million
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #151
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
A MBC can only raise boost pressure it can not lower it. Base boost pressure is decided by the spring force on the wastegate actuator.
Yeah, but if you're overboosting and shooting past the wastegate cracking pressure you can cap it off.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #152
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Houston we have a problem! Well I wrapped the downpipe with header wrap today and placed some sheet metal in front of the ECM. Then I went for another test drive. Found some open road and nailed it in first gear. This thing was awsome. Pulled like a strong V6. But my problem is my eyes were glued to the boost guage and I let off the gas when it hit 10 psi. Holly shit I cant believe the stock wastegate actuator would let it get this high. I still dont even know how high it would go. Im sure my fuel system is no match for this. It happened fast but it felt like it lost power after about 8-9 psi. I think it went lean. So tomarrow I will be looking for a new acuator. At least nothing blew up.
Well if you didn't installed a boost controller ... you just experienced the so called boost spike. This problem appears on first gear (or in the case of a C160 transmission also on second gear which is low) . This problem is cured by controlling spring pressure directly from wastegate or tru the boost controller.

Boost Spiking could be dangerously fatal to engine internals since your tune may not be rich enough for the amount of boost entering the engine.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #153
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Well I removed my wastegate actuator today and tested it with a small compressor. It cracked at 13psi and did not completely extend until 18-19psi. In other words way to much. As far as the boost spike, I thought of that too. But it would hold and maintain 10psi in forth gear as well. For now I will take it easy until my new 7psi acuator gets here.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #154
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

After testing the acuator and finding the spring is way to strong, I have rigged up a temp. fix until new actuator arives in mail [see pic]. I dont want to run lean and I will need to drive this car to work. The spring pulls to open the wastegate sooner. Right now tension is set around 6.5psi. I am now able to finally hit the gas without the drama. So I made a short video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2WwE2LF0ak

Also on my way to work a dropped Ford focus passed me very slowly and paused when they got in front of me. The passenger a young guy was pointing at my front mount. Then they slowed down and gave me thumbs up. I waved and hit the gas, as they tryed to keep up. Left them in the rear view. I accelerated to 100mph, and I got their pretty quick. Then I let off the gas and enjoyed my GLORY for a while waiting for them to catch up. I can say now its all worth it!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.jpg (103.9 KB, 263 views)
Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #155
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

cool man, sounds nice!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #156
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo

This car is damn fun to drive boosted lol. I've been driving pretty conservatively until I get tuned as well. My only regret is not buying a manual three years ago.

Now that we both got our turbos in... LET THE VIDEO WAR COMMENCE!!!

... eventually.

Oh, and get your codes read pleeeeeeease.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #157
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post

This car is damn fun to drive boosted lol. I've been driving pretty conservatively until I get tuned as well. My only regret is not buying a manual three years ago.

Now that we both got our turbos in... LET THE VIDEO WAR COMMENCE!!!

... eventually.

Oh, and get your codes read pleeeeeeease.
Im going to autozone tomarrow to get scanned. Gotta work sometime to pay for all this shit.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #158
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

BBBrrrrrrrOOOOOMMMMM....Pssshhhhh ...BBBrrrrrrOOOOMMMMM....Psssshhhhh
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #159
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
It's funny how YW had very few guys who were turbo'd, and almost none who wanted to explore using parts from ZAGE kits and what not; now you two guys come out of no where and do it at almost the same time as each other, and are successful at it! lol. wtf?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #160
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ haha, it's just the start of it, I believe!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #161
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
It's funny how YW had very few guys who were turbo'd, and almost none who wanted to explore using parts from ZAGE kits and what not; now you two guys come out of no where and do it at almost the same time as each other, and are successful at it! lol. wtf?
Well if you compaire the Echo/Yaris/Vitz to the Civic scene, they've only been around for 11 years now, as where the Civic was out nearly 20 years before it REALLY took off as a cheap tuner car. About the only thing we have going for us is the fact that the 1NZ-FE is still the same motor is was introduced as.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #162
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ plus the xB aftermarket, which was weak but did help with development