Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #19
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I'd love to get a gun. I have never shot one before and I'd definitely do some practice shooting at the range before getting one. But before that, I need to get a gun permit... just haven't had the time yet.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
You could go cheap and get a $150 Hi-Point which would be like a .40 or .45. The 9mm is sugg retail price of $130

NO I do not own one, but they are cheap and have a lifetime warranty. My uncle had one and the sights were way off out the box and he sent it back to them and they put a whole new barrel and the night sights for nothing, and gave him 2 extra clips.
How about I take a dump and sell it for $150...and I do offer a lifetime warranty
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #21
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamilR View Post
Beretta PX4 .40
My dad has a 9mm and it is pretty nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
Springfiled XD 9mm
The PX4 doesn't compare to the XD9. Unless you are buying an HK or something that costs x2, you simply can't beat the Springfield. My opinion. I have one so I am a bit biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by death is my gift View Post
I don't have a gun....yet. I really want one for the apartment, for protection. It's just me and the girlfriend. I'm not sure which kind to get. I know how to shoot. I grew up in Louisiana shooting cute and furry little animals. Plus, my dad use to take me to the range. He thought since he had guns in the house rather than lock them up he taught me how to handle and respect them at a young age. He got me a pellet gun (big power right?) for my 12th birthday. My mom was pissed. hahahaha

I'm one of those people who won't be afraid to shoot a bitch. You break into my home to harm myself or my girl, that's your ass.
Get a cheap pump action 20 gauge shot gun. If you are interested in primarily home defense, nothing works better. I myself am in it for the sending of paper targets to hell and training for the day zombies walk the earth, but if you are looking to stop a baddie intent on harming you or a loved one, chambering a round alone is enough to sway mosts' bad intentions.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #22
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
I'd love to get a gun. I have never shot one before and I'd definitely do some practice shooting at the range before getting one. But before that, I need to get a gun permit... just haven't had the time yet.
If you are interested, go to a range. Most all will rent guns. Being a lady, you could easily get away with asking to shoot other peoples. What ever you do don't start out with anything more than a 9mm. Some guy will insist that you try out a .357 or a 45, but get the feel of the experience with a 22 or 9mm.

I am about as left wing as they come (most traditionally anti-gun), but a while back my sister was wanting to shoot a semi auto so we went to the range. Year or so later and I have 4 guns and hit up the range nearly every week. I have also taken many women that have never shot and are afraid of guns, and if you avoid the Dirty Harry types, it really can be about as much fun as you can legally have with your pants on.

Springfield XD 9mm
Beretta CX4 9mm
Ruger Mark III 22
Old-Ass-No-Longer-Made 4-10
Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #23
sherryberry

Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I looked into shooting ranges but they want me to have a gun license first.. so i gotta get that before I do anything else.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #24
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

I guess that is one of the benefits of living in Kansas. You need nothing other than a driver's license to rent from a range, and only have to pass the back ground check to buy a gun. I figured every place was like that. Except for Texas where I think they can fine you if you don't have a gun...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I would love to get my hands on a MK-19...These are a blast to fire...I have wondered if they have any civilian ranges that have them....

The Mk 19 fires 40 mm grenades at a cyclic rate of 325 to 375 rounds per minute, giving a practical rate of fire of 60 rounds per minute (rapid) and 40 rounds per minute (sustained). The weapon operates on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round to load and re-cock the weapon. The Mk 19 is able to lob its grenade at a maximum distance of 2,212 meters, though its effective range for a point target is about 1,500 meters, since the large rear leaf sight is only graduated to 1500 meters. The nearest safe distance to launch the grenade is 75 meters. In addition, the Mk 19's flash suppressor and its lack of smoke during firing makes it difficult for enemies to spot and counter it. For night operation, an AN/TVS-5 night vision sight can be fitted.

If you wanted to see a cool video of one check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpXN7...elated&search=

I had all kinds of fun firing these while Active Duty...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #26
sherryberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by umm_bacon View Post
I guess that is one of the benefits of living in Kansas. You need nothing other than a driver's license to rent from a range, and only have to pass the back ground check to buy a gun. I figured every place was like that. Except for Texas where I think they can fine you if you don't have a gun...
nah.. here in IL, gotta pay $5 to get a firearms permit and they gotta do the whole background check and all that. If you get caught carry a weapon with no permit, pretty sure you could get arrested.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #27
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
XD's rock... I miss mine. $5 and a background check? Not too bad. And for home defense, 1+ on the shot gun. You don't even have to aim, if you miss it won't go through the wall and hit your neighbors, the sound of a round being chambered will pretty much give an intruder the sh*ts.... plus they are fun to shoot: "Paper target go bye-bye!!!". Typically cheap to boot and utterly reliable.
When you get better at shooting it, jump to a 12ga magnum, XX turkey choke and #4 shot.... alternating with double-00.... heh, heh, heh.... BOOM!!!
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #28
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post

The Mk 19 fires 40 mm grenades at a cyclic rate of 325 to 375 rounds per minute, giving a practical rate of fire of 60 rounds per minute (rapid) and 40 rounds per minute (sustained). The weapon operates on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round to load and re-cock the weapon. The Mk 19 is able to lob its grenade at a maximum distance of 2,212 meters, though its effective range for a point target is about 1,500 meters, since the large rear leaf sight is only graduated to 1500 meters. The nearest safe distance to launch the grenade is 75 meters. In addition, the Mk 19's flash suppressor and its lack of smoke during firing makes it difficult for enemies to spot and counter it. For night operation, an AN/TVS-5 night vision sight can be fitted.

If you wanted to see a cool video of one check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpXN7...elated&search=

I had all kinds of fun firing these while Active Duty...
Roof mounted on a Yaris?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #29
blueskana

I think the recoil is like 800 ft.lbs...... "60 mph, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, 5 mph"
Ha, ha, haa....
Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 AM   #30
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
so shoot backwards! better than NOS

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #31
blueskana

Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 AM   #32
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

gets rid of tailgaters VERY efficiently too

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #33
blueskana

You could solve a) power/accelaration b) tailgaters and c) "Stupid small cars!" disrespect with just the pull of a trigger!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 AM   #34
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Man, if Toyota had thought of that, the Yaris would be the best selling car in the US right now...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #35
blueskana

It's all up to you then bro; next GB!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #36
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I knew that was coming. Thats why I have a Springfield and a Glock and gonna get a Sig. I take it you know your guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamilR View Post
How about I take a dump and sell it for $150...and I do offer a lifetime warranty
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote