Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #37
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskana View Post
I think the recoil is like 800 ft.lbs...... "60 mph, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, 5 mph"
Ha, ha, haa....

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #38
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I have:
1962 Smith and Wesson .22 caliber pistol
1967 30-30
1997 .357 Desert Eagle
Custom 98 Tipmann with response trigger, cold chamber, and the Pig

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #39
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Custom 98 Tippmann with response trigger, cold chamber, and the Pig
The ultimate in personal safety
Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #40
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I've been looking at getting one for awhile now. Our neighborhood has slowly become more and more populated by "Latinos" due to an unpatrolled park that's spitting distance from my door. They haven't caused any trouble, but suddenly graffiti is a common problem, and cars can be found parked in the shadows well after midnight. My whole area is populated by 70% little old women, which tend to make easy targets. I'm just waiting for shit to start happening.

Note that I have nothing against Latinos. I've worked with a lot of them, and for the most part they're great people. But we crackers don't have have a rep for gang activity, now do we?

For now, my arsenal of sharp objects (swords, daggers, warhammers, etc. ) will have to do until I can come up with some spare cash, and convince my wife we need one. She's terrified of firearms. Also, I can't make up my mind which would serve me better: shotgun or handgun?

~YR
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #41
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
i've always wanted to shoot the tires off of a tailgater and any moron that speeds 70 in a 45..

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #42
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
actually... when I was a kid I drew up mental plans for a nail gun turret mounted under the car, that can be aimed by the passenger to shoot out other peoples' tires...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #43
sherryberry

Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
and why did this plan not materialize? lol i'd get one from ya! although, not sure how much the police officers might like that... some police officers can be the worse tailgaters.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #44
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
they'd never see the turret, it's under the car and retractable!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #45
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Thumbs up

Ok if you're talking personal safety its not real practical to lug around a submachine gun or simply toss a nuke at an intruder or predator

A little advice for the ladies here. My wife is equipped with the following:

'.380 ACP' pistol for her insanely small purse. Commonly referred to as a 'short 9mm' it offers small size and low recoil but it's extremely short ranged and has marginal 'stopping power' (the ability to put your assailant on the ground).

At home we have a 9MM Ruger with 3 clips (1 of these holds 20 rounds, got it at a gun show...the clip extends 3 inches outside the pistol frame...heh). I added a laser sight for nightime usage (when most breakins occur).

Although I have to say i'm not a fan of the 9's because the bullet will bore a hole through an attacker due to the extreme velocity, so I can't say i recommend it to you girls. My local friendly Police Officer told me this from personal experience...

Since we are in our cars a lot I put the best of all in there. We both roll with .45 ACP in both our glove boxes. The .45 is standard issue for most Police Department patrol officers and is one of the world's more effective combat pistol cartridges, one that combines very good accuracy and stopping power for use against human targets.

The .45 cartridge also has relatively low muzzle blast and flash, as well as moderate recoil. It is a low-velocity round so when flesh is hit its more likely to stay put and induce more internal bleeding and organ damage.

In any pistol you should exclusively utilize 'hollow point' ammunition that has a pit, or hollowed out shape, in its tip, generally intended to cause the bullet to expand upon entrance and shred/rip tissue as it travels. As a side effect, hollow-point bullets can even offer improved accuracy by shifting the center of gravity of the bullet rearwards. assisting even novice gun users to hit the 'sweet spot' of the forehead.

Keep em guessing ladies and good luck.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #46
sherryberry

Thanks for the tips, redyaris.

In IL though.. we're not allowed to carry concealed weapon so we're not allowed to have a gun hidden away in our glove box.. or so I've been told. So make sure you know your state's gun laws well before packing heat heh

Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #47
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
Thanks for the tips, redyaris.

In IL though.. we're not allowed to carry concealed weapon so we're not allowed to have a gun hidden away in our glove box.. or so I've been told. So make sure you know your state's gun laws well before packing heat heh
I know in GA the glove box is ok, as well as FL. This is not considered to be concealed.

If you tuck the firearm next to you in the seat thats illegal and not considered to be concealed even with a permit.

Also if you ever get pulled over always tell the officer that there is a gun in the car AND DONT REACH FOR IT.

Last edited by redyaris; 09-21-2007 at 04:56 PM.
redyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #48
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Red, correct me if I'm wrong, but we can't keep them loaded in the glovebox, right? I was thinking the ammo had to be separate. Unless of course you have the actual "conceal and carry" license...

~YR
Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #49
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
check the website http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and they have all the rules and regulations by state and also links to get your CCW. In Florida if you don't have the permit the weapon has to be secured and not withing reaching distance of the driver but it can be loaded
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #50
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Unless you have a CC, it is illegal to have a loaded gun. Even having loaded magazines in the car is illegal, in Kansas at least. Traveling with a firearm is generally a bad idea. I think that CC is a joke anyway, as I have personally seen a licensed fire arms trainer shoot himself in the foot while talking to me outside of the range. Loaded guns means trouble for you statistically speaking. In controlled environments (a range) that is still risky, however, much safer than just out in public or at home. Statistically speaking there is no good reason to carry a loaded weapon anywhere. You are much more likely to shoot yourself or a child to shoot him/herself with a loaded gun in the house, than an armed intruded. Many times over.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #51
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by umm_bacon View Post
Unless you have a CC, it is illegal to have a loaded gun. Even having loaded magazines in the car is illegal, in Kansas at least. Traveling with a firearm is generally a bad idea. I think that CC is a joke anyway, as I have personally seen a licensed fire arms trainer shoot himself in the foot while talking to me outside of the range. Loaded guns means trouble for you statistically speaking. In controlled environments (a range) that is still risky, however, much safer than just out in public or at home. Statistically speaking there is no good reason to carry a loaded weapon anywhere. You are much more likely to shoot yourself or a child to shoot him/herself with a loaded gun in the house, than an armed intruded. Many times over.
Sorry bacon I disagree. I don't want to be at the mercy of an intruder by not having some form of self protection other than a baseball bat.

When you say loaded are you referring to just a loaded clip or having a live round in the chamber? There is a difference.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #52
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
Red, correct me if I'm wrong, but we can't keep them loaded in the glovebox, right? I was thinking the ammo had to be separate. Unless of course you have the actual "conceal and carry" license...

~YR
YR check this site that Yamil posted:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

All 50 US state laws addressing carrying a gun in a car are covered there.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #53
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

I wont debate the CC thing because that is like abortion for many people. For me I like shooting paper targets and produce; with an occasional animal thrown in the mix. I don't have guns for protection. I understand many do, and as long as you are responsible, more power to you.

From what I understand, traveling with a loaded clip is a no-no in Kansas. Just to be safe, anytime I am going somewhere with bad intentions towards a watermelon, I put the firearms in the trunk and ammo in the back seat. That can not possible cause you problems with Deputy Dawg.

I know that I said that I wouldn't debate, but just FYI in most states, even if you shoot a robber, there is a damn good chance that you can be criminally prosecuted, in addition to a guaranteed civil suit. Unless you live in Texas where you can shoot a Girl Scout if she looks at you funny on your land. I worked with a guy that unloaded a magazine in a robber and he is doing time for "protecting" himself. Something to think about. I am not saying that is right, but it does happen.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #54
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Q. When can I use my handgun to protect myself?

A. Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:

* Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
* Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.

Using or displaying a handgun in any other circumstances could result in your conviction for crimes such as improper exhibition of a firearm, manslaughter, or worse.
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote