Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Thumbs up Review: Pirelli Winter Carving Snow Tires

I finally installed my Pirelli Winter Carving snow tires, 175/65R-14 on a set of 14" steelies I purchased from TireRack. They are like all other snow tires I've used, awesome! They have great traction in snow and ice, and make the car much easier to drive, allowing me to avoid the idiots on the road. It makes my 1.2 hour commute much easier.

My only issue with the tires is that they have road noise between 50-60 mph. Above and below those speeds, they are quiet. I'll give them a few weeks to break-in, but I'm sure I'll just have to live with it. The car is also "looser" than with my all-seasons, but that's to be expected from snow tires.

In the end, I'm very happy with my purchase. We have possibly 12" of snow coming, so I hope to really test them out.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Thanks for the review.
I actually bumped up to 175/70R14 from the 175/65R14 when I bought new winters a few weeks back. This brings the diameter up to match my OEM 185/60R15's at 23.7" thus maintaining my already reduced ground/snow clearance. The 65 series dropped my sedan a further 1/2" which proved troublesome during/after major winter storms.
On a side note, switching over to the 70 series Michelin X-Ice directly from the 35 series P-Zero's was like falling onto a feather bed after laying on concrete. Winter traction and easier on the spine ride comfort gained. Go-Cart handling relinquished (til spring)

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I had thought about the ground clearance, but since I haven't touched my suspension I figure I'd be fine. That and the 65's were on clearance!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
I had thought about the ground clearance, but since I haven't touched my suspension I figure I'd be fine. That and the 65's were on clearance!
Tough to ignore a deal.
When you see deep snow, punch it and cross your fingers. Unless that dick up the street blows his driveway out onto the road you shouldn't have my problem.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
What is the largest diameter you can use with the stock suspension without causing problems?
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote