Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Weight Savings - Removal, Reduction, Reminder....

Weight Savings - Removal, Reduction, Reminder to leave your bowling balls at home when not at the 'alley. The biggest loss of performance comes from carrying unneeded stuff..accelerating it, decelerating it, making it turn...it hurts you in every way.

My removals for LIFTBACK:
Spare tire compartment cover - (12+ pounds for something that TAKES UP ROOM?!?) a nice flat cargo area looks nice, but it's actually worse for you in many ways. For one, stuff you're going to store back there will be WAY MORE LIKELY to roll around on the flat compartment cover. stacking stuff around the spare tire and side compartments can look a little weird, but it will actually stay in place better AND it's lower to the ground, so you won't be throwing it around as much!!

Cargo area cover - I don't keep expensive items in my vehicle that I would need hiding. plus, it willl take up room WHEN you actually need to put something large in the liftback!!
It's not very heavy, but agan, it's rather high up in the vehicle which hurts your cornering ability. Weight that is high up cause the vehicle to yaw over instead of cornering flat...and it's the #1 cause of rollovers

Backseat - Like someone on YarisWorld has mentioned, the rearseat is REALLY heavy, and i would like to upgrade to the 60/40 split/fold/recline rearseat in the future. I don't haul my little girl around very much, but when I do SHE REQUIRES a rearseat for safety so I'm kinda stuck with it right now.

Lightweight Wheels, Tires (Toyo T1S, Falken Ziex ZE 512 for instance), Flywheel - arguably, the best drivetrain weight losses. A lightweight flywheel will "feel" faster due to the ease of revving which correlates into increased throttle reponse.

The hood is so incredibly small I don't think there would be any true weight savings from going with Carbon Fiber. Though, if you really had the cheeze, you could always get your metal roof removed and redone in carbon fiber, since there is a substantial amount of weight in the roof and it's REALLY high up in comparison to other "sporty" cars

For the track - ALL THESE FIT INTO A LARGE DUFFLEBAG THAT I CAN TAKE OUT OF MY CAR WHEN I GET TO THE TRACK : Spare tire, jack stands, extra lug nuts, tire air pump and accurate tire pressure checker, wrenches, screwdrivers, flashlight, BOTTLED WATER, energy bars, etc.etc.etc.etc.
It all stays together, instead of 15-20 different things laying around everywhere..