Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
ilikerice sent me a PM with a question about connecting a gauge to the OEM primary sensor, so I figured I'd answer it in here instead of by PM.

The stock AFR sensor is a typical heated platinum coated zirconia A/F sensor. These sensors require a considerable amount of work by the device monitoring them. The heater within the sensor is used to increase its sensitivity when the exhaust gas is cold, but if it gets too hot it also has accuracy issues, so the monitoring device must constantly adjust the duty cycle of the heater. It also maintains a constant voltage across the A1A+ to A1A- terminals of the sensor. It measures the current draw, rather than voltage change of the sensor, so if your were to measure the voltage on the A1A+ or A1A- pins of the sensor, they would remain constant. So, since reading the sensor requires closed loop control, it would be almost impossible to run two gauges on one sensor.

Using the Toyota diagnostics messaging (a step above simple OBDII) that I reverse engineered from the TechStream tool, I read and display the realtime AFR on my YarGauge.

Some vehicles support an OBDII PID for AFR (which allows displaying it as a X-gauge on the scangauge), but due to the communication frequency limitations of OBDII this tends lag significantly, making it not very useful.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
ilikerice sent me a PM with a question about connecting a gauge to the OEM primary sensor, so I figured I'd answer it in here instead of by PM.

The stock AFR sensor is a typical heated platinum coated zirconia A/F sensor. These sensors require a considerable amount of work by the device monitoring them. The heater within the sensor is used to increase its sensitivity when the exhaust gas is cold, but if it gets too hot it also has accuracy issues, so the monitoring device must constantly adjust the duty cycle of the heater. It also maintains a constant voltage across the A1A+ to A1A- terminals of the sensor. It measures the current draw, rather than voltage change of the sensor, so if your were to measure the voltage on the A1A+ or A1A- pins of the sensor, they would remain constant. So, since reading the sensor requires closed loop control, it would be almost impossible to run two gauges on one sensor.

Using the Toyota diagnostics messaging (a step above simple OBDII) that I reverse engineered from the TechStream tool, I read and display the realtime AFR on my YarGauge.

Some vehicles support an OBDII PID for AFR (which allows displaying it as a X-gauge on the scangauge), but due to the communication frequency limitations of OBDII this tends lag significantly, making it not very useful.
Time to bump the YarGauge thread!!

I don't wanna spend 250.00+ on my AFR gauge.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #21
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Scott, do you remember which code it is for the X-gauge? I tried a few and the only one that worked seemed to give me more of a "target" AFR (IE it stayed at 14.6 driving normally and somewhat richer under heavier (but still closed-loop) acceleration

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Scott, do you remember which code it is for the X-gauge? I tried a few and the only one that worked seemed to give me more of a "target" AFR (IE it stayed at 14.6 driving normally and somewhat richer under heavier (but still closed-loop) acceleration
I don't recall, but I don't believe that Toyota vehicles support the ODBII AFR PID. I think you can only get at the "target" one from ODBII, which is absolutely worthless.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
ok gotcha thanks

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote