Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
dpiatek

Drives: Miata
Availability

Just stopped by my local dealership today to test drive a Yaris and hopefully place an order. Seems to fit the bill perfectly for what I'm looking for. However, the dealership said that here in the Los Angeles and surrounding areas only 18% of the 2007 liftbacks will be available in 5 speed. That came out to only 44 cars he said; or one per dealer?! He was going to try to find one at a local dealer. I looked at autotrader for new cars within a 300 mile radius and most are automatics so I assume he was telling the truth. Is the availability still that bad? Or is he trying to stick it to me price wise by making me think it is so rare (when he does get one in stock)? I really don't want to get butched in markup because of the lack of availability as that would bring the price to a different class. But I dislike automatics. Is 12k-12.5k out the door after taxes, etc for a liftback Yaris with 5 speed and convenience package pushing it?
dpiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The price is right... as far as what they said about manuals, I don't think any of us know what to believe anymore when it comes to what is and isn't coming on these cars. There are many of us from the US that had no trouble finding liftback manuals, and yet there are others that are getting jerked around more than Ron Jeremy. All I can tell you is good luck.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
i had to special order mine from japan cuz i wanted a standard yaris sedan in vancouver. i didnt have to pay any extra but i had to wait 1.5 months!!!
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
My sister went to see fleet mgr at local Toyota Dealer today - on a COSTCO deal.

She wants a LOADED LB (Stick or Automatic) and in one of two colors - he went onto the Toyota system and theroized it will be 4-5 months as there are X number of folks already in line. (She didn't want or expect one right now.)

He said that it appears some dealers and/or salesmen are putting in fake orders for cars they know they can quickly sell, thus distorting what is actually available.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
I'm seriously considering getting a scion xA instead of a yaris. It's just so much easier to get a loaded 5-speed because all scions come loaded. Configured the same, the xA is a little cheaper and you get 4-doors, a six speaker sound system, steering wheel audio controls and A TACH. Plus some little things like chrome exhaust tip, side body mouldings (aka side skirts). You do loose all the storage compartments up front that the yaris has.
Plus I'm waiting to see because the xA is being redesigned for 2008 models and is supposed to come with the 1.8L. The new model will be available Jan 2007-ish and pics are supposed to be out this month.
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
What dealership did you go to?
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
dpiatek

Drives: Miata
Thanks for the feedback. I called another local dealership and he said one or two automatic liftbacks are expected in 3-4 weeks. No word on any 5 speeds though. It's a bummer automatics are taking over. Not much more joy than shifting to keep the engine RPM's in the prime. Maybe I'll check out the Scion xa. Wasn't aware of the new redesign.
dpiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze-dog
I'm seriously considering getting a scion xA instead of a yaris. It's just so much easier to get a loaded 5-speed because all scions come loaded. Configured the same, the xA is a little cheaper and you get 4-doors, a six speaker sound system, steering wheel audio controls and A TACH. Plus some little things like chrome exhaust tip, side body mouldings (aka side skirts). You do loose all the storage compartments up front that the yaris has.
Plus I'm waiting to see because the xA is being redesigned for 2008 models and is supposed to come with the 1.8L. The new model will be available Jan 2007-ish and pics are supposed to be out this month.

From reading the Scion forums and some other sources it appears that the xA will be dropped (I didn't realize it would be dropped this early like January) and it will be replaced by a car called the xD, yes you heard right, wierd huh? Oh well its Scion, but I guess that will replace the xA. We'll see!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
I think Carson Toyota has a manual in stock and avail. Or atleast it was this morning. No options.
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #10
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
I was told sales are down so bad they are dropping the scion. The yaris now has a Cult following!, Going to be trading my yaris in soon. I placed an order in april for a fully loaded hatch 5 speed. They said end of october i could not wait so I bought this one to drive for now and to see if I really liked 5 speed. I love iT!!!!!!
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
I was told and shown “production paperwork” showing only 9% of liftbacks in the NY region would be manuals, my adamant refusal to drive a auto forced me to place an order and wait about 3 months only to have a different dealer call me up after somebody backed out. Paid a bit below MSRP so your price shouldn't be increased either.
H8SGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred812
I was told sales are down so bad they are dropping the scion. The yaris now has a Cult following!, Going to be trading my yaris in soon. I placed an order in april for a fully loaded hatch 5 speed. They said end of october i could not wait so I bought this one to drive for now and to see if I really liked 5 speed. I love iT!!!!!!
i don't think the xA ever sold that well, so i definitely see that going away and being replaced by a 4 door hatch yaris (i'm hoping, i love the sedan so much i want another!) I doubt the scion line would disapear though, the xB is unique and likeable, and the tC is a nice little coupe - neither of which compete with the Yaris or anything else in the toyota lineup. My wife convinced me against getting the 2 door hatch, but the 4 door looks really nice so i'm hoping it comes here sooner than later...at least before my 93 civic dies! (like that will happen before the floor rusts through)
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote