Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Yet another problem with my Yaris...

Okay, before everbody thinks I'm either hard on the car or just stupid, I assure you that I'm neither.

Now the problem is with my headlights which have a little glitch with the turn signals. When I activate the momentary turn signal (like when you change lanes on the highway), both sets of headlights activate(!) Again, I'm not stupid -- I'm not hitting the high beam flash-to-pass function on the turn signal lever when I do this. At this point, I assume it may be a bad turn signal switch (pretty minor). I'll let you know what I find out when I take it into the dealer (again).

I have to admit that the Yaris now qualifies as one of the more problematic cars I've had in a while. While I realize my experience is not normal Yaris ownership, it's starting to bug me a bit.

Just adding my experiences to the board...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Okay, before everbody thinks I'm either hard on the car or just stupid, I assure you that I'm neither.

Now the problem is with my headlights which have a little glitch with the turn signals. When I activate the momentary turn signal (like when you change lanes on the highway), both sets of headlights activate(!) Again, I'm not stupid -- I'm not hitting the high beam flash-to-pass function on the turn signal lever when I do this. At this point, I assume it may be a bad turn signal switch (pretty minor). I'll let you know what I find out when I take it into the dealer (again).

I have to admit that the Yaris now qualifies as one of the more problematic cars I've had in a while. While I realize my experience is not normal Yaris ownership, it's starting to bug me a bit.

Just adding my experiences to the board...
Never heard of that happening to any car. Be interesting to hear the cause.... Keep us posted please.
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I'm sorry to hear about your problems, unfortunantly some people do get the cars that get the "bugs" or have defects. I assume you have warranty? It should be covered
Anyway I hope the Yaris doesn't leave a bad taste and that the problems don't keep coming at least when the car is relatively new. But I also understand patients can go only so far especially if its a new car! Keep us posted!
Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Goose
Car Geek

I'm thinking that the problem is a short-circuit, either in the switch itself or in the headlight/turn signal feed in the steering column (maybe just a loose connector somewhere). When I took delivery of my Yaris, I had to finish the door sill installation - the plastic finsher hadn't been snapped in fully at the factory. Such an oversight does not bode well for the many wire connectors inside the dash as well as other areas.

The high-beam activation problem has occurred a few times when the turn signal was fully switched on (ie when the signal stalk has to be popped back to the center), but usually crops up when the momentary signal is active.

We'll see...

Old 11-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
A few people here had defective headlight/turn signal switches. Different problem though. You relly hit the jackpot Goose.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Goose
Car Geek

Sorry, I should have done a search before posting. After looking at the other thread's description of their switch problem, it sounds like a new switch may indeed solve my problem. Although I don't know exactly how the switch mechanism works, a short circuit or "oversensitivity" could be the same thing.

Thanks for the heads-up on the other thread. While I doubt my dealer will have any questions, I'll keep the other person's experience in mind if they do.

YarisWorld is a great resource!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
My son was getting out of my yaris yesterday his shoe caught on the door sill pulled it right up broke one of the plastic clips i pushed in back on doesn't seam to tight but then niether does the other one
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Hate to hear that!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Your car was manufactured on a friday afternoon or you just got a lemon!! lol
Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Goose
Car Geek

An update...

Okay, back from the dealer visit.

In short, they couldn't reproduce the problem so nothing was done. I have my doubts that anything was actually done to diagnose the problem since it's broad daylight and the problem is only noticeable after dark (DRL's vs. brights coming on).

Since the problem is so intermittent/touchy I think the car needs to be driven around to possibly reproduce the problem (engine/road vibration, alternator fluctuations, etc); unless you've got somebody driving in front of you watching your headlights, how would you know the lights are/aren't changing?

To be honest, I'm not really thrilled with this service visit since I was given the "maybe you were activating the brights when using the turn signal?" crap. I may look like a fool, but I'm not stupid. Guess I'm going to just keep an eye on this issue and hope it doesn't become a real problem (like the headlights going out at night or something).

A small problem, I admit, but still not something that should be happening.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Okay, back from the dealer visit.

In short, they couldn't reproduce the problem so nothing was done. I have my doubts that anything was actually done to diagnose the problem since it's broad daylight and the problem is only noticeable after dark (DRL's vs. brights coming on).

Since the problem is so intermittent/touchy I think the car needs to be driven around to possibly reproduce the problem (engine/road vibration, alternator fluctuations, etc); unless you've got somebody driving in front of you watching your headlights, how would you know the lights are/aren't changing?

To be honest, I'm not really thrilled with this service visit since I was given the "maybe you were activating the brights when using the turn signal?" crap. I may look like a fool, but I'm not stupid. Guess I'm going to just keep an eye on this issue and hope it doesn't become a real problem (like the headlights going out at night or something).

A small problem, I admit, but still not something that should be happening.
Keep taking it back and tell them its not fixed. I had to do that with my sony T.V.. Finally after going up the ladder of responsibility in sony (alot of phone calls) I found someone that got really serious about finding the problem. And it was fixed. Finally.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote