Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
PETERPOOP's Turbo Build Thread.

Decided not to use the Zage oil pan. After seeing how cydgdydgdyeee explained why the Zage oil pan wouldn't work, I've decided to go a different route.

Will this 5/16" hose fitting be big enough for the oil return line? The oil line that comes with the zage kit doesn't look any bigger than a 1/4 to 5/16".

Thanks to garm for showing where to put the hose fitting. ;)

PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
5/16" should be fine. Definitely post pics of your return location when you get to it. Where did I post those? can't find 'em now.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Good call on the pan, I'm almost positive he's right.

Were you able to drill the block yourself? I really don't want to have a mechanic do it simply because I need a lift to have enough working space.

Lots and lots of pictures please sir.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I've decided to go with a 3/8" diameter hose, because the bulk head fitting was already 3/8", just had to change the hose connection. Didn't want to drill a bigger hole in the block (time consuming).

This is what I did to drill the hole:

The tools..

Once the car is up on jackstands, you need to jack the axle up. As high as you can, need room to drill the hole.

Stuff rags in oil pan to prevent metal shavings from going in.

Starter hole...

After starter hole, used the step bit to get the right size for fitting.

The axle was in the way, so this is all the height i could get. I think it's high enough?

This is where the full mark is on the tip stick; about two inches.

This picture is to the bottom of the fitting; close to 4 inches. Unless I'm on a crazy hill, the oil should drip in.

I've tee'd off the oil sending unit and have put my oil feed line in place.

More progress will be made during thanksgiving weekend.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
buy a 90 deg fitting and a flare a tube to go to the bottom of the pan. you do NOT want that hot oil hitting anything but oil when it enters the pan... if it comes out into just air, you'll foam your oil and do damage to your engine (much like overfilling will do)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Good DIY info....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
buy a 90 deg fitting and a flare a tube to go to the bottom of the pan. you do NOT want that hot oil hitting anything but oil when it enters the pan... if it comes out into just air, you'll foam your oil and do damage to your engine (much like overfilling will do)
Ok, so whose right about this? If you have oil hitting oil, then that means your line runs right into the oil, which is going to cause it to back up in the turbocharger. I now know this from experience unfortunately.

But now you're saying oil into air causes foaming? Uh...

Thanks for the pics btw.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Charles has his going into the Zage pan with no issues.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Wouldn't the return line going into the bottom of the pan just back oil up into the line to the level of the oil in the pan? Any new oil coming down the line would push down a little on the level in the line and thus push up a little on the oil in the pan?

Is there no oil pressure on the return line?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
cdydjded

I was going to tear apart my car to show oil coming out from the turbo. Remembered a little thing called YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZyovmv93h0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HstUT_9vJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tnOxvFm9k

Guys, I dont understand the confusion. I am sure that you could search till ur fingers fall off, you will not find a credible source that says to return oil below the oil line.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I might be wrong but Charles doesnt have the Zage pan. He just has his return line in a similar spot like the Zage pan....
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Ok, so whose right about this? If you have oil hitting oil, then that means your line runs right into the oil, which is going to cause it to back up in the turbocharger. I now know this from experience unfortunately.

Thanks for the pics btw.
I look at it this way, if you looked at 1000 turbocharged cars Im sure 99% of them have the oil return above the oil line....
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Hmm.. Is he using thicker than a -8 AN line? Also possible his banjo bolt has a smaller restricter I guess.

cdydjded, your return is setup just like PETERPOOP's at this point, right? No line on the inside of the block running down into the oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
I look at it this way, if you looked at 1000 turbocharged cars Im sure 99% of them have the oil return above the oil line....
I'm inclined to agree. I can't see how hot oil hitting air would cause foaming. If that were the case, oil dripping down from the cylinder walls would foam, as well as the hot oil sitting in the pan...
Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post

Thanks for the pics btw.
huh? you need to go pour soapy water into a pitcher and see what happens, then pour the same water through a hose into the same pitcher..

how would oil back up into the turbo because it terminates under the oil line? that doesn't even make sense..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
huh? you need to go pour soapy water into a pitcher and see what happens, then pour the same water through a hose into the same pitcher..

how would oil back up into the turbo because it terminates under the oil line? that doesn't even make sense..
basic hydraulics will tell you to NEVER terminate any return line above the oil line. its not the oil hitting the air that causes foaming, it's the oil hitting the top of the oil. just like filling a bucket up that has soap in it. if you hold the hose above the water, the turbulence of the water landing on the top of the water will cause the soap to foam. if you put the hose under the water it does not disturb the oil..
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
cdydjded

Quote:
its not the oil hitting the air that causes foaming, it's the oil hitting the top of the oil.
Quote:
you do NOT want that hot oil hitting anything but oil when it enters the pan... if it comes out into just air, you'll foam your oil and do damage to your engine
Old 11-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
cdydjded

Quote:
basic hydraulics will tell you to NEVER terminate any return line above the oil line.
Oil & Water Plumbing
The intake and exhaust plumbing often receives the focus leaving the oil and water plumbing neglected.
Garrett ball bearing turbochargers require less oil than journal bearing turbos. Therefore an oil inlet restrictor is recommended if you have oil pressure over about 60 psig. The oil outlet should be plumbed to the oil pan above the oil level (for wet sump systems). Since the oil drain is gravity fed, it is important that the oil outlet points downward, and that the drain tube does not become horizontal or go “uphill” at any point.

So I guess the engineers @ Garrett failed basic hydraulics 101

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...1.html?#t101_3
Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
Tamago

you miss the point. they're saying that the turbo should not sit BELOW THE OIL PAN...
you nailed it sir.