Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
XB HKS turbo kit, on an echo

Well i've purchased an HKS turbo kit designed for the scion XB, and am in the process of getting it fit onto my echo.

The wiring is the easy task since I finally found what looks like a wiring diagram for the fcon mini piggyback off some russian site.
f-con mini piggyback pinouts

From the looks of it,
- HKS uses garrett turbo, I can't identify much else from the nameplate :(
- the oil feed taps from the stock oil pressure sensor location
- this piggyback modifies the TPS signal, guessing it sets TPS to 100% to get open loop, otherwise I'm not sure why else it'd modify TPS.
- missing oil return hose, probably could source one local
- I'm missing all the brackets that comes with the kit, according to this picture of the stock kit:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/wotmstore_2170_140241189

A few questions I hope a few of you knowledgeable guys could help me with:
1) How should I check the condition of the turbo to determine whether I need it rebuilt?
2) This kit is not intercooled and has no BOV. From what I understand, this kit boosts to 4psi. Is a BOV required for such low pressure?
3) Not water cooled, should I be concerned about anything?

Intercooler is another issue, I will eventually need one (previous owner had lots of issues of overheating) but I will save that for when spring rolls in.

Here's the photo album, didn't post the pictures in case the account bandwidth gets used up.
http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/taKuto11/snail/
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
asking bluevitzRS (either here or yarisfans.com)....he had a greddy turbo kit for an xb which he had in his car for a bit...sounds the same as yours
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
4psi stage 0? sounds good to me.

What do you mean by overheating? The coolant was overheating, or the oil, or what?

Check for shaft play and clean turbine blades, no rubbing, etc. on the turbo. How many miles does it have on it? Sometimes it's better to rebuild than to see it fail.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
taKuto
rice rocket

Thanks barber, I got to chat with him a while ago and he told me about losing power at high rpm's, maybe he'll chime in on more things to know. I've been going through the greddy kit install for reference since I couldnt find the HKS install instructions, and they do share a lot in common.

HKS throws in a few extra brackets and I have no idea how those go together, or whether I should be concerned. One bracket looks like it's supposed to hold some lines in place, I'm curious as to what that one goes to.

Unknown mileage, so definitely need to get the turbo checked out.

The previous owner was getting a lot of engine codes regarding high intake temperature, so overheating may be exaggerating it. But definitely will benefit from an intercooler.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

If you isolate the intake from the engine bay as best you can, (wrapping, airbox, etc.) you might be able to get the temps down some.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
There was only a few clearance issues I had with the GReddy kit. First was the discharge pipe sat up too high and was holding the hood up about 3 inches. Next was the intake pipe on the turbo was impacting the A/C lines at the firewall, so I just tweaked them up a bit and last was my shift cables were resting on the down pipe. Not sure if it would have been an issue if it was the 5 speed though. I did however have the down pipe wrapped.

I think a lot of the power issues was a result of a horrible factory tune that came with the e-manage. It only hooked to the MAF and injectors, so it had very little control. Other issue was the high intake temps for sure. The power delivery was fine and made power up to about 5500 when it was cold, but as soon as it got up to temp, power started to drop off lower and lower. After the engine was heat soaked, like getting stuck in traffic or in the city, the car made more power N/A over turbo. So I think you should look at some sort of intercooler.

I was looking at getting a air to water setup for around $300.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
taKuto
rice rocket

Well doesn't look good for me. Got a mechanic to take a look at it today, and took apart the piping. Shaft play is ridiculous, and the fins made contact with the housing. Raging hard, probably going to spend so much just on a rebuild if any of it is even reusable.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Man, that sucks. Can you use a different turbo?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Depending on what model it is, we can do a seals/bearings rebuild here fairly inexpensively.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
sometimes you can fine rebuild kits fairly cheep, under 100. do the work yourself, then send it to a shop to do the balancing.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
taKuto
rice rocket

Thanks cali, i'm going to try to find someone local first but will give you a shout if I have no luck.

Steve, how would I determine which rebuild kit I need, or is it standard between all garretts? I can't figure out how to read the turbo's nameplate to find out what it is.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
taKuto
rice rocket

spent some time tearing apart the turbo, the turbine housing was seized pretty well. I just wedged a nickel between one of the bolts, and hammered the wrench to break the seal.
markings on the turbo housings:
turbine housing: 687 59M GARRETT 272-2
compressor housing: DIE M24 A/R.48 GARRETT <WL>
Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

So what are your plans now?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
taKuto
rice rocket

Decided to just cut my losses. The fins were slightly torn on the compressor side so it's not even in good shape to rebuild. Too frustrated with the kit since I lack the knowledge and money to do anything. I was thinking of buying a used garrett T25 off a 300zx but the tune on the piggyback will probably be useless since it's not the exact same turbo (I don't even know if the piggyback works because the wiring was guess work without proper wiring diagrams).

Probably just wasted enough money to have pieced together a kit myself.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
viggen

Drives: echo hatch 3d and RAV4
Sorry to hear that you gave up, but looking at the pictures that Turbo was a oil cooker

Keep us in the loop with your future mods, echo looks good
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #16
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
i have a greddy turbo kit laying around.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
taKuto
rice rocket

why haven't you put it on?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
taKuto
rice rocket

Purchased a set of 300zx turbos, their specs are the same (.48A/R comp, .63A/R exh) so all that's needed was to swap the compressor housing and clock the turbo.

Next, installed the AEM UEGO wideband and STRI XLine P1 oil temp/pressure & boost gauges which i've purchased without sender units. Gauges are pretty useless, until I find compatible sender units to work them. Figured out the oil temp one is probably compatible with an autometer 2258 after trying some resistors, oil pressure gauge I didn't get a chance to test yet, but did not look like the autometer 2242.

Here's where i'm at now: shifter cables are blocking the turbo from fitting (too stiff to push away, and even if moved they'll still be resting on the turbo). Took this far to finally figure out that bracket I didn't receive from seller was the shifter cable bracket. Needless to say, seller won't be reachable for this piece since he sold the car.

Have to figure out how to move these shifter cables somehow, any ideas? I have a feeling I probably have to make a custom bracket. Until then, i'm running on recirc mode because exhaust is leaking, likely from the metal gasket that meets the block and manifold which I can't find.