Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Vios turbo maybe :)

I have been reading turbo thread here and on MI all day long today haha

I now know how turbo are working hehe!!

I know I should put gauge before so I know what I am running ....

I know I need this

Zage turbo kit
AEM FIC + harness
Boost, AFR and oil pressure gauge
Oilsandwich adaptor
HSK SSQV4...because it sounds better :P
Oil catch can...because I want it already
Ceramic wrap

I have the exhaust 2.25'' project already going on...

I have a couple of questions..

How do you adjust the psi ?
1.I want to reach 170 whp....how much psi will I need to run ?
2.Can I plug the AEM FIC before putting the turbo in ? What can of configuration do I put in the FIC if there is no turbo ?
3.Does the AFR can be plugged if there is not turbo ? there is no bung place to plug it ? Because i would plan to buy gauge and FIC before the turbo so I get ready

Questions for Garm or Canadian customer...

3.By USPS...would there be any duty fees ? I am afraid of it haha
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
0. You adjust psi with a boost controller, either a manual one, or get a controller+gauge instead of just a gauge.
1. 170 whp with the Zage I think would only take a couple of extra psi, maybe 8-9?
2. The FIC comes with null connectors. You can plug in the harness and FIC and then not use it if you like. Tuning it before you install your turbo is a different conversation completely.
3. No idea what this one means, sorry! "AFR"?

3 again lol. We claim low value, don't include an invoice, and call the shipment a commercial sample. This usually minimizes duties and fees for the customer.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
g.q.vios
jqueza@microimage

Drives: 2010 vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
0. You adjust psi with a boost controller, either a manual one, or get a controller+gauge instead of just a gauge.
1. 170 whp with the Zage I think would only take a couple of extra psi, maybe 8-9?
2. The FIC comes with null connectors. You can plug in the harness and FIC and then not use it if you like. Tuning it before you install your turbo is a different conversation completely.

3 again lol. We claim low value, don't include an invoice, and call the shipment a commercial sample. This usually minimizes duties and fees for the customer.
i think he means air to fuel ratio...
g.q.vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
packetrace

Quote:

1.What kind of boost controller can I use ? I would use the AEM analog gauge

2. AFR i meant air/fuel rate gauge It can only be plugged on the down pipe near the O2 sensor....? am I right ?

3.I would like to tune the FIC so I can see how it works...and then be familiar with it when the turbo is in :)

4. ohh nice haha :) what does shipping looks like for the zage kit to Canada ? :P
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

1. Any kind. Manual or digital, but I like controllers that are also gauges. Otherwise you need both.
2. It would be optimum to add a bung to your Zage downpipe and plug it in when you install your turbo kit. You could install the gauge in the car before and get power to it along with your other gauges.
3. Good luck with that, you'll definitely learn a lot. But please be careful with your motor.
4. About $90, more or less. Express (EMS) is better, faster and gives far better tracking but it's more expensive.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
packetrace

1. I just saw the TRU-BOOST gauge/controller....sweet thing :)

2. I tought there was already a place to plug it on the down pipe ? I think I saw a down pipe with two place for sensor...one for the o2 sensor and the other one for the air/fuel sensor

3. Yeah..I am a bit afraid of it...we will see :P I can get great help from MCMLXXXV :P

4. nice...much cheaper then I tought :D

5. you may get a zage order soon lol
Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
packetrace

Do you sell HKS SSQV4 BOV ?

Everything I can buy...you will get my business....IF my final decision stops on TURBO instead of the BMW :D
Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
packetrace

WOuld there be any problem running the turbo in really cold weather...we got -30 -40 degree celcius sometime in winter...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I can get you a BOV, not a problem. I'm pretty sure the Zage kit downpipe has only one O2 bung (you need that one for the factory sensor), but I'll check and see if it has two.

Shouldn't be any problems in cold weather. Do you use an engine warmer or anything?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
packetrace

I have never used one...it starts easily even at -40 celcius...like a brand new at +30 celcius lol..I'll have to change my battery since I gave it a hard life lol

So I guess should be no problem :)

Yeah check that for the two O2 bung :)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
packetrace

Could you teach me about watercooling ? How does it works ? Would I really need it ? does it add mor HP or just protect the turbo ?

Where do I tap the water in the vaccum line ?

And do you have measurement of where to tap the oil return lines ?:)

Last edited by packetrace; 06-16-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

water cooling extends the life of your turbo, and cuts down idling time when you park. I strongly recommend it, but it's individual choice to hook it up or not.

vacuum line has (air) vacuum in it, not water!

oil RETURN line is shown in a couple of threads. Pretty obvious when you get the pan off and you're looking up in there. Use a fitting with a washer/nut inside, DO NOT just screw in a fitting. The block is about the thickness of two pennies there.

(we know this thanks to fnkngrv )
Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
packetrace

Quote:
water cooling extends the life of your turbo, and cuts down idling time when you park. I strongly recommend it, but it's individual choice to hook it up or not.

vacuum line has (air) vacuum in it, not water!

oil RETURN line is shown in a couple of threads. Pretty obvious when you get the pan off and you're looking up in there. Use a fitting with a washer/nut inside, DO NOT just screw in a fitting. The block is about the thickness of two pennies there.

(we know this thanks to fnkngrv )

Turbo timer is needed if no aem water mesh injection ?

Water cooling is the AEM water meah injection ? Right ?

So where do I hook it up ?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Water, methenol injection is not really needed for low boost levels. I did all the tuning myself so far. It takes a while to learn yourself. It gets more difficult with higher boost levels. Good luck.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Water, methanol injection is not really needed for low boost levels.
Yep. I only use it above 14 psi.