Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
mrdex

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Navigation System Override

Hi folks, hoping someone might be able to help me with this issue.

I purchased a nav system with my 2011 Yaris. One of its safety features is that most functions are disabled while the vehicle is moving. While theoretically a good idea, practically, it is annoying. Sometimes my passenger wants to navigate through my connected iPod, for example, but she can't because of that safety feature.

I've done some research and it appears past systems have had a "secret menu" that can be accessed to allow for an override, but I've found nothing on the 2011 model.

If anyone could offer a solution or some suggestions, that'd be appreciated!
mrdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
A friend of mine bought a new Lexus last year that had the same issue (and could not find anything about the secret hidden menu either). In his case, even the phone dialing was disabled while moving, which was a total show-stopper for him. He did some research and purchased a $289 bypass device from www.prestigioussociety.com. I helped him install it and all the device appeared to do is interrupt the VSS signal to head unit.

If that is really the case, you might be able to simply add a switch in-line with the VSS wire.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
mrdex

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Thanks for the reply, CTScott.

Actually, I have the same predicament; the telephone function doesn't work either while the car is moving. The bypass unit is a bit costly, but I will look into those methods if I get increasingly annoyed by the limitations of the system.

I did manage to access a hidden menu, but it's simply for diagnostics by service/auto repair people. In case anyone is reading this and would like to know how it's done, here are the steps:

1. Turn on the engine.
2. Press and hold the "MENU" hard button (along the left hand side of the unit).
3. Turn the headlights on and off 3 times.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0V5LRVt9c) - That's the video that helped me figure it out.

If anyone else is reading this and figures something out, please keep me posted. I'm sure there MUST be another override option via a secret service menu, but perhaps Toyota didn't make it so easy...
mrdex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, override