Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
bnther36

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
42.04 MPG straight off the lot!

The wife and I just got back from Carmax in Baltimore with my new Sedan 5-speed. The first 208.5 miles used 5.733 gallons for a MPG of 36.368; not too bad for the PA mountains and using A/C. The next 266.6 miles were through Ohio, where everything is nice and flat ( and no A/C), and the car used 6.341 gallons for a MPG of 42.043. I could not believe it! At this point the car had a total of 511 miles on the odometer! I can't wait to see what this thing will do with synthetic in it.

More to come in the morning. (between the airlines and the road trip, my ass has sat for 1200+ miles today; but I couldn't go to bed without bragging
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
I'm so glade to here that!!

I got 42MPG too on the way to Las Vegas from Utah!! (with A/C and four people).

Mine is automatic trans. sedan
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
yeah, don't you love that about the Yaris? wait until you switch to full synthetic oil, it should go up some more.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Just switched to synthetic oil. I am going to LA from UT this summer. I'll see what happens
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
bnther36

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Well I did some more driving today and I had to top it off again just to see what the mileage was. I drove 153.6 miles and used 3.857 gallons for a MPG of 39.823. Most of that was hwy with the cruise set at 73mph, with a little in town driving.

This looks like the beginning of a good relationship.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
falkor_99

Drives: 07 Yaris Blue HB
Send a message via AIM to falkor_99
Nice man
falkor_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Awesome! I bet the Yaris is going to give the Smart Fortwo a run for it's money when it gets here next year, considering the price vs. mileage.

~YR
Old 06-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
LOKink

Drives: 2007 3dr Lift Back
I have 21,000 miles on my yaris and I still run dino oil, and the A/C and I usually get 38-39 and when my girl drives she gets 41+, but she drives it nicer than I do.
LOKink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Wicked Mileage! Welcome to the YarisWorld forums.

LOKINK-
Why the Dino? Don't you like your Yaris? Please tell me you don't take it to Jiffy Lube or someplace like that. They use old oil that has been filtered and topped off with additives. The oil filters are about as heavy duty as a Budweiser can!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
jlift

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Wicked Mileage! Welcome to the YarisWorld forums.

LOKINK-
Why the Dino? Don't you like your Yaris? Please tell me you don't take it to Jiffy Lube or someplace like that. They use old oil that has been filtered and topped off with additives. The oil filters are about as heavy duty as a Budweiser can!
This seems like quite a claim that you are making. I have never heard this. Personally, I do all my oil changes and am running Amsoil 0-20 FULL synthetic with their oil filter. Are you able to give some links/documentation that would prove up your statement about Jiffy lube using old oil that has been filtered and topped off with additives?
jlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
LOKink

my wife and her family has used jiffy lube for ever. its a family thing for her. and I do all of my own oil changes on my truck with mobil 1. She doesnt want me under her hood.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
MrJester

Drives: homo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOKink View Post
She doesnt want me under her hood.
That right there sounds like a personnel problem. HaHa
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
They use old oil that has been filtered and topped off with additives.
That's called recycling, and it's a good thing for us all. Besides, in most States it is compulsory that they do so, and that they allow the general public to drop off their own oils for recycling as well.

Quote:
The oil filters are about as heavy duty as a Budweiser can!
The weight of the unit has absolutely nothing to do with its filtration capabilities. The filtering material itself weighs next to nothing. I have never heard of an exploding oil filter, either, so I doubt it causes a durability issue.

I'm not advocating Jiffy Lube by any means, but they are no better or worse than any other oil changing outfit. If you look around the Net you'll find that the gripes about places like Jiffy Lube have very little to do with their oil or filter quality, but with their service and customer service levels.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I have never heard of an exploding oil filter, either, so I doubt it causes a durability issue.
I've heard of it, but not on daily drivers... more of a race thing with super-high RPMs and oil pressure. Usually splits external seams and leaks, or blows the threads out and comes off completely.

I doubt anyone takes their race cars through the Jiffy Lube, though.

~YR
Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
nsmitchell

This re-refined oil is used by Jiffy-Lube.
I aslo will go so far as to say they dont use top shelf additives as a cost saving measure. Therefore you get a decent (dino) oil base with crappy additives.
http://www.p2pays.org/rrfoil/majconsume.asp

As for the filters, you bet they explode. Small engines like Honda, not too sure about our Toyotas, have very high oil pressure on startup to quickly pump oil into inmportant areas of the engine. A thin metal housing can explode under this kind of pressure.

On top of all that, I have a freind who's fiancee took her car to JL religiously and her engine is now coated in a thick brownish black crud that you can easily scrape off with your fingernail inside the valve cover.

Also, they suck the oil from your engine via a tube down the dipstick. That can't get all of the old oil out like via the drain plug. Kinda like sucking the last bit of a Slurpee, you just can't clean it all out.

Jiffy Lube = No Friggin Way! Not in my cars!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
LOKink

the ones my wife takes hers to they full the drain plug.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #17
nsmitchell

Most quick lube joints stick a tube in the dipstick and suck it out, then they have another hose to fill it back up. I have never actually been to one of these places, but I have read about this stuff and heard from friends too. The recycled oil being used I read about in an Amsoil newsletter. These places are trying to save a buck wherever they can. The filters are friggin horrible. Probably less than a dollar to produce. They are also big on making sure you know to bring it back at 3000 miles religiously, and with the shit they just put in and that crappy filter, you better be back in 3000 miles or you'll be sorry. With Mobil-1 Extended Performance you can go 15,000. With an Amsoil bypass oil filter system, you can go 100,000 miles on 1 oil change.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
My local Jiffy-Boob is real famous for breaking shit and blaming it on the owner. I went there once with my pickup in the winter when it was real crappy out and watched them like a hawk through the glass next to the service bay. The retard on the oil hose dialed the dam thing up to 6 quarts (overfill) and then his buddy that checked my air filter tried to rip the cover off with out unsnapping it. To top off this adventure one of the shit bags stole a vacuum plug off the motor as I was looking through the glass! After screaming at them on 3 separate incidents the manager tried to get all huffy in front of the others to prove his manhood. So, I departed with a free oil. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

The funny part is the crew at the local Waly-World are top notch on cars and treat them like pros when doing any service.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote