Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #1
TommyWasabi

Drives: 07 AT & 08 MT Yaris HB 3dr
2zr Swap Question

For the folks that swapped to a 2zr, does it matter what year 2zr engine assembly you choose? I've found a low mileage 2017 and was curious if there is a difference between the years. I'm looking to swap into a 2007 HB. Thanks.
TommyWasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:14 AM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
It depends. Are you just looking to use the basic engine assembly, or are you trying to use the computer, loom, ancillaries etc? If the later, be careful as there are various iterations of the 2ZR with late model engines and associated electronics most likely incompatible with earlier year cars.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
2ZR-FE and 2ZR-FAE engines have different harnesses and ECUs. One madman has done an FAE swap into a 3rd gen but its quite a bit more involved than the 2ZR-FE and the power difference between the two is ~10 horsepower.

Look for a 2ZR-FE.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #4
TommyWasabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
It depends. Are you just looking to use the basic engine assembly, or are you trying to use the computer, loom, ancillaries etc? If the later, be careful as there are various iterations of the 2ZR with late model engines and associated electronics most likely incompatible with earlier year cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
2ZR-FE and 2ZR-FAE engines have different harnesses and ECUs. One madman has done an FAE swap into a 3rd gen but its quite a bit more involved than the 2ZR-FE and the power difference between the two is ~10 horsepower.

Look for a 2ZR-FE.
Yeah, from what I have read here in the forums, the two iterations to be aware of are the 2zr-fe and the 2zr-fea. The -fe version being the one that most have swapped and is the version I am going to attempt since there is quite a bit of documentation on it.

My main issue is are the -fe versions (non -fea) the same? It is just easier to find a later model -fe motor with low miles in the junkyards in my area.

From my reading the xd parts are the hard ones to find.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyWasabi View Post
Yeah, from what I have read here in the forums, the two iterations to be aware of are the 2zr-fe and the 2zr-fea. The -fe version being the one that most have swapped and is the version I am going to attempt since there is quite a bit of documentation on it.

My main issue is are the -fe versions (non -fea) the same? It is just easier to find a later model -fe motor with low miles in the junkyards in my area.

From my reading the xd parts are the hard ones to find.
As far as I know, nothing changed that would be a hinderance to swapping in a 2ZR-FE throughout the years we got the engine.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #6
stidnam

You generally want to ensure that the engine you're swapping comes from the same generation/era as the car you're swapping it into.

I've talked at length with said "madman" about his 3rd gen swap. He ran into a lot of the same issues I did, including the Yaris ABS unit being incompatible with the engine ECU. He really had no other choice with that swap btw. You can't swap earlier model 2ZR setups into 3rd gen Yarii. Technically you can get the motor to run, but there are incompatibilities with body modules, immobilisers, dash clusters etc.

Based on the above and my experience, I do not believe a late model 2ZR engine would work in an early model Yaris such as the NCP9X. Not seamlessly anyway.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:14 PM   #7
TommyWasabi

Quote:
You generally want to ensure that the engine you're swapping comes from the same generation/era as the car you're swapping it into.

I've talked at length with said "madman" about his 3rd gen swap. He ran into a lot of the same issues I did, including the Yaris ABS unit being incompatible with the engine ECU. He really had no other choice with that swap btw. You can't swap earlier model 2ZR setups into 3rd gen Yarii. Technically you can get the motor to run, but there are incompatibilities with body modules, immobilisers, dash clusters etc.

Based on the above and my experience, I do not believe a late model 2ZR engine would work in an early model Yaris such as the NCP9X. Not seamlessly anyway.
This is interesting. So in short, you are saying a 2017 2ZR engine wouldn't be compatible with the 2007 Yaris while utilizing the xD ECU/engine harness etc. Is this because of the progress in the electronics? I'm just trying to understand what the major differences would be between the earlier 2ZR motors vs more recent years.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:29 AM   #8
stidnam

It depends. If it's a valvematic engine, I doubt it'll work as the engine won't run properly without the computer which isn't going to be compatible with the 2007 electronics. Did you guys get a 2017 model 2zr without valematic?

If the engine isn't valvematic, it may work if you have all the XD electronics. It also depends on whether the intake manifold has ACIS, but that would be fixable by swapping manifolds. I don't know if you guys got ACIS...?
Old 09-14-2022, 01:42 AM   #9
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
so any engine from a 10th gen corolla, and scion xd would be the 2zrfe engine, if you get a motor from an 11th gen corolla you risk getting a valvematic motor which is probably gonna be more of a hassle to swap, also if i remember correctly the 2zrfe has a facelift variant startingin 2015 in which it has a some different styling cues and different oil filter housing bracket setup for a spin on oil filter, and a revised intake manifold. it should not matter at all but their is some changes to later model corollas with the updated parts which might a be a little better if you can get.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #10
TommyWasabi

Quote:
It depends. If it's a valvematic engine, I doubt it'll work as the engine won't run properly without the computer which isn't going to be compatible with the 2007 electronics. Did you guys get a 2017 model 2zr without valematic?

If the engine isn't valvematic, it may work if you have all the XD electronics. It also depends on whether the intake manifold has ACIS, but that would be fixable by swapping manifolds. I don't know if you guys got ACIS...?
Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the valvematic is only in the -FAE motors is that right? So in theory that would mean that the -FE motors here in states would still be viable for this swap. As far as ACIS, according the Wikipedia page ACIS was not an application in the 1NZ or the 2ZR. I may be wrong, but again it was a cursory look at the wiki page. I attached the reference page below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
so any engine from a 10th gen corolla, and scion xd would be the 2zrfe engine, if you get a motor from an 11th gen corolla you risk getting a valvematic motor which is probably gonna be more of a hassle to swap, also if i remember correctly the 2zrfe has a facelift variant startingin 2015 in which it has a some different styling cues and different oil filter housing bracket setup for a spin on oil filter, and a revised intake manifold. it should not matter at all but their is some changes to later model corollas with the updated parts which might a be a little better if you can get.
Rem! Good to see you here! Kinda the same response as above. I was under the impression that the -FAE has the valvematic and the -FE does not. Am I off base on this? I just find it hard to believe that if I look into purchasing a newer 2ZRFE motor that the seller would inadvertently send me a 2ZRFAE instead. Regarding the possible revisions of the newer -FE motors I might have to just take the plunge and buy a 2017 -FE motor and dive in. Thanks for the responses you guys! Also here are some things I found on both the ACIS and the years that the 2ZRFE and 2ZRFAE were applied.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACIS Wiki.jpg (81.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg VVTI vs Valvematic.JPG (80.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 09-14-2022, 06:31 PM   #11
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i have a 2015 corolla engine (not -FAE), using xd harness and ecu. works fine for goin on its 3rd year. it had some extra cooling piping for i guess the transmission but its just plugged up now.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:41 PM   #12
TommyWasabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
i have a 2015 corolla engine (not -FAE), using xd harness and ecu. works fine for goin on its 3rd year. it had some extra cooling piping for i guess the transmission but its just plugged up now.
That's good to know. Now I am struggling to find xD parts.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:52 PM   #13
stidnam

For the record I can say with 100% certainty that the 2zrfe in Australia received ACIS from 2013 onward. Was actually a pain in the arse as the intake manifold did not clear the Yaris radiator fan shroud due to the extra bulk in the intake. The entire overflow bottle had to be cut off from the shroud and the shroud modified to clear the intake :(. Anyway, won't impact you guys :)

Last edited by stidnam; 09-15-2022 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:41 AM   #14
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
im going to ask the dumb question..whats the MPG change on the swap?....
i figure a slightly larger displacement shouldnt have to work neerly as hard to move such a light car

also can you keep the factory slush box?
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:09 AM   #15
stidnam

I get 5.5L per 100km on the freeway or 42.7mpg for those who are still subjected to imperial measurement.

You'll have to check the other threads re slushbox. Automatics are not my thing.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:09 PM   #16
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Quote:
For the record I can say with 100% certainty that the 2zrfe in Australia received ACIS from 2013 onward. Was actually a pain in the arse as the intake manifold did not clear the Yaris radiator fan shroud due to the extra bulk in the intake. The entire overflow bottle had to be cut off from the shroud and the shroud modified to clear the intake :(. Anyway, won't impact you guys :)
ahhh so the 2zrfe engine does have the acis then? not only the 2zrfae? it explains the intake manifold goofiness that i see when i work on corollas and i see some differences in the intake manifold design, there is also a recall that updated the intake manifold for the vaccumm booster libe freezing up or something, so i guess you can always get the intake manifold you want later if the motor you get doesnt have the correct one.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #17
TommyWasabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
ahhh so the 2zrfe engine does have the acis then? not only the 2zrfae? it explains the intake manifold goofiness that i see when i work on corollas and i see some differences in the intake manifold design, there is also a recall that updated the intake manifold for the vaccumm booster libe freezing up or something, so i guess you can always get the intake manifold you want later if the motor you get doesnt have the correct one.
So you've seen Corolla's with the ACIS in the states? Interesting, from stidnams comments I was on the path to thinking that this might be something that only the overseas Corollas had. I'll keep digging. This has peaked my curiosity. I wonder if there is a way that we could figure out which ones had it and which ones did not and why.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #18
stidnam

The parts manual cross reference matches models in North America with the same intake as what we got in Australia. However, looking at all the 2zrfe engines on ebay.com and none of them have ACIS.

It's pretty obvious when you see an engine with this setup. There is a bulbous vacuum controlled actuator sitting in front of the throttle body with a bunch of tubing on top of the manifold. In addition, there's a vacuum chamber on the end of the head. Here's an example engine.