Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #19
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
Actually they had to make a different cluster for the US because all the others are in kmh and not mph. However, if they were smart, they would have made the sedan and liftback use the same cluster and save on manufacturing costs.
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
^^
Good point on the KMH/MPH; never thought of that.

And remember: the Yaris sedan in North America is a completely different model in Japan.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #21
weeze-dog

What Toyota needs to do is take page from their Scion playbook and just eliminate some of their packages and just make all the yaris with power everything, rear wiper/defrost, split folding seat etc.. and make the only options stuff the dealer can easily do. It would save a ton of money not having to make all the different door panels and mechanical parts that they have to manufacturer for the different packages.
I had an 06 tC for a little under a year (sold it to get rid of the car payment and because it doesn't get very good MPG at all). They all come with power everything and cruise control. They are all cookie cutter cars, and they save a ton of money doing it that way. The only factory options with the tC was side airbags/no side airbags, and 5-speed or auto. Everything else is port or dealer installed.
But again I think they just want that ultra low base price to entice buyers.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #22
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze-dog
What Toyota needs to do is take page from their Scion playbook and just eliminate some of their packages and just make all the yaris with power everything, rear wiper/defrost, split folding seat etc.. and make the only options stuff the dealer can easily do. It would save a ton of money not having to make all the different door panels and mechanical parts that they have to manufacturer for the different packages.
I had an 06 tC for a little under a year (sold it to get rid of the car payment and because it doesn't get very good MPG at all). They all come with power everything and cruise control. They are all cookie cutter cars, and they save a ton of money doing it that way. The only factory options with the tC was side airbags/no side airbags, and 5-speed or auto. Everything else is port or dealer installed.
But again I think they just want that ultra low base price to entice buyers.

Also Yaris was to complement Scion, not compete (according to Toyota), it does in a sense but both are selling well, which is good. If they did what you suggest then they would be Scion but under the Toyota badge-I'm guessing the price would be pretty much the same but under the Toyota badge, and of course Scion is a different division so that means they have a different philosophy of building cars there's more to it and I can go on but I won't! But good suggestion!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #23
weeze-dog

actually, the liftback really should have been released under the scion brand here (with a corresponding name change).
The liftback and sedan are two totally different cars, developed by different teams, with two totally different personalities.
Toyota Marketing VP Jim Farley states "Yaris is for mainstream customers. Scion is more expressive."
The liftback is anything but "mainstream", it is much more like a scion brand car, much more "expressive" as they dub the scion brand than the blander Toyota, due mainly to its european design.
I think the liftback appeals to a much younger audience than the sedan, and with its unique interior design and low price, its definately targeted to the scion buyer than the average toyota buyer. Per toyota, the average age of a toyota buyer is 48 years old. This car is NOT targeted to a 48 year old.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #24
wlfpck

Drives: 91 cb7
theres a couple aftermarket companies that sells tachs. All you have to do is buy a housing if one is not included.
wlfpck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #25
TenTwelve
I've made a post!

Drives: No Yaris yet
So, the Sedan custer will not work in the hatch? I registered to find this out specifically since I'm looking at the hatch and I too am quite disappointed in the "no tach" cluster.
TenTwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #26
weeze-dog

apparantly not, a user was told that the connectors are different on the sedan cluster. Plus if you look at the sedan and liftback, the dash trim around the cluster does not appear to be the same shape in both models so the cluster may not even fit.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #27
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
I liked that link it takes you right to toyota, It didnt look like a link so here it is again from weeze-dog http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/t...nduser/ask.php I want my 2008 to have it all!
F
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #28
Don Mason

Drives: Yaris
Owners Manual Says

Greetings,

Having a tach in my Hatchback would be nice, but I simply follow the owners manual recommendations.

Maximum speed in first gear is 30 MPH

Max in second gear is 59 MPH

Max in third gear is 84 MPH.

I seldom have to wind 'er up that much to get where I'm going.

Cheers!
Don Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I think it is total bullshit that this car comes with no tachometer also. Its 2006 people, man went to the moon and I thought owners and manufacturers had a fucking understanding that MANUAL CARS SHOULD DISPLAY THEIR CURRENT RPM! I don't understand it at all. I made a fuss about a tach when I first got the car, but I was told it was a part of the power package and liftbacks weren't coming with that. (I pretty much bitched up a storm about every feature in that package)

Would HONDA ever do this? HELL NO, that is why Toyota is still that step behind.

Having said that, you still wouldn't catch me alive, dead, or otherwise in a Fit!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #30
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I agree. Put the fucking tack in damit!

Up here in Canada, we're used to getting short changed when our dollar value was low. Now that that American dollar isn't doing that well, we're seeing the same thing down south. The company is penny pinching to get the profet margin above the line. Even so, if the car is manual, it needs a Tach. No execuse. period.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #31
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
I've been always driving manual without a tach, so I don't have much of problem. It would have been nice, but nothing I can do now since I have the car already, right?
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #32
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1701
I ageee with all of this but I also have to put in my 2 cents, well maybe 3,

I know I will get hell from this but , I don't find the lack of a tach or cruise control a bad thing , What made me buy this car in the first place is the back to basic type of setup. I owned alot of VW bugs from a 1960 to a 1973 and none of them ever had cruise or a tach as an option when they were new.

Don't get me wrong I am not ready to bring back 8 tracks or anything like that but I think we are alittle spoiled. Maybe we are just not ready to go back to the basics and maybe we never will be.

I am sorry but I really love this little car just the way it is.
agree 100%. this aint a race car. its an econo-car. really no need for a tach. if you driving it hard enough that you need to know where redline is, then you bought the wrong car.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #33
Billstein
Whew Who..

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchs and Tacoma
Smile

I asked when they were going to relese the Yaris D4 in the U.S.
"HIS"2007 Yaris Hatch MedSilverMetallicPower PQ Package 17" Wheels Spoiler TRD ExhTipStiletto100 Radio Armrest 50% tint windshild 35% front windows 5% rear Aluminum TRD Shift Knob Keyless Entry VIP Alarm TRD Cold Air Intake
Billstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #34
Pars

If the Yaris can't handle being redlined, and the redline is just for show, why bother buying a Toyota? when I know the Honda engine is quite at home at high rpms and can still return the same fuel efficiency.

My last car was a 98 Civic. Bought it new for $14K CAD and it had a Tachometer. The car got redlined on a regular basis and would stay above 5000rpm to redline for extended period. Considering that the 98 Civic was able to handle 300,000km of extreme driving without any problems, I'd like to think that my 07 Yaris is just as capable.

I just don't understand how any Manual driver, who knows how to get the most out of an engine, can say that a Tachometer is not necessary. If the excuse is that engine can't handle it, I'm reluctant to believe that since I think Toyota's engine is just as good as Honda.

Also, a tachometer isn't just useful for aggressive driving, it can also be a saftey feature. In the sense that it promotes downshifting. In my case, if I percieve a difficult situation up ahead on the road, the first thing I'd do is downshift while maintaining the speed. That way, I'm already on tap for better braking or acceleration. Granted, you could still downshift without a tachometer, but how much? You realy need to be above 4000rpm for it to matter, so is that 2 or 3 gears down? If you don't know..then you probably don't have a tachometer, or you wouldn't even know what do with it if you had one.

How about fuel economy? The way to get good economy is to keep the rpms as low as possible (without straining the engine). So, how are you going to do that if you don't even know what rpm you're in? Or if you want to rev-match because you've been coasting in neutral, it's not going to be smooth unless you know your rpm.

I probably could write a book about the advantage of manual transmission over automatic, but without a tachometer, you might as well be driving the stupid automatic.

Last edited by Pars; 09-07-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:54 AM   #35
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars

Also, a tachometer isn't just useful for aggressive driving, it can also be a saftey feature. In the sense that it promotes downshifting. In my case, if I percieve a difficult situation up ahead on the road, the first thing I'd do is downshift while maintaining the speed. That way, I'm already on tap for better braking or acceleration. Granted, you could still downshift without a tachometer, but how much? You realy need to be above 4000rpm for it to matter, so is that 2 or 3 gears down? If you don't know..then you probably don't have a tachometer, or you wouldn't even know what do with it if you had one.

How about fuel economy? The way to get good economy is to keep the rpms as low as possible (without straining the engine). So, how are you going to do that if you don't even know what rpm you're in? Or if you want to rev-match because you've been coasting in neutral, it's not going to be smooth unless you know your rpm.:

i have always had a tach...and i have NO PROBLEM knowing when to shift (up or down) in the Yaris. While i cant tell you the exact RPM of my engine at any given time, i certainly know approximately where it is, and when it would be better to shift. You dont need a tach to know you are winding out your engine...

would i rather have a tach? yeah sure. does it matter to me on THIS car? no, not really. im certainly not going to go all fast & furious, and put one on my A-pillar.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #36
Pars

Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks
i have always had a tach...and i have NO PROBLEM knowing when to shift (up or down) in the Yaris. While i cant tell you the exact RPM of my engine at any given time, i certainly know approximately where it is, and when it would be better to shift. You dont need a tach to know you are winding out your engine...

would i rather have a tach? yeah sure. does it matter to me on THIS car? no, not really. im certainly not going to go all fast & furious, and put one on my A-pillar.
I've always had a tach and 60% of time (when I'm cruising and not paying attention to my driving) I don't use it. Even then, occationaly, I'll need the tach, cause when I tune back in to check on the engine, a quick look at the tach gives me all the info I need.

I suppose you might be a more attentive driver then myself, especially when I'm in la-la land, but when things starts to go on the boil, the tach is a very useful tool. And, the "this kind of car" comment has no basis, because the other kind of car (probably something design for the race track) would be too fast for the streets to require the use of a Tachometer.