Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
XM Radio, best set-up?

I can't believe I didn't get a single hit on the search for "XM Radio," or on just plain "XM." What's up with that?

Anyway, speak to me like you would speak to a two year old, since I am NOT high tech. What is the cheapest way to get my XM back, since I traded-in my Cobalt that had a built-in XM radio. I thought I was getting an XM ready radio when I bought my 2009 Yaris, but it is only "XM capable." The dealership says the kit for XM is $449 plus labor! THAT ain't gonna happen.

There are portable receivers, right? How do you get the wire from the external antenna to the receiver without drilling holes in the roof or trunk lid?

What's the best "bang for the buck" receiver and car kit? I don't need a lot of features, just want to be able to listen to XM stations again.

Thanks.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Why don't you get a portable one and plug it into your aux jack.

Sorry: missed your point.
Can't the antenna work through the windshield? Wouldn't it work if you just sat it on top of your gauge cluster?

Last edited by andaconda; 04-18-2009 at 07:48 AM.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post

There are portable receivers, right? How do you get the wire from the external antenna to the receiver without drilling holes in the roof or trunk lid?

Thanks.

Tom
I have the car kit and use the built in FM modulator to run it off my stereo,the reciever wire is threaded through to the trunk and sticks nicely to the top of the trunk,like this as an example http://file.xm411.com/images/occ/vinny03.JPG
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Anyone here have a Yaris sedan with XM radio added? How did you route your antenna wire? (Thanks for your reply Jambo101, but your link took me to a beretta with an XM antenna mounted on the trunk. I would like to hear from someone with a Yaris sedan, like mine.)

I'm looking for a good way to have XM without messing up my car.

Thanks.

Tom
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

OK, Peeps, I bought a portable XM radio today. The magnetic mount antenna is on the roof just above the corner of the windshield. I ran the wire down the channel between the windshield glass and the windshield frame. I then went behind the mirror base with it and into the cabin through the door opening. I think I am going to have to have something to keep the wire in that channel between the windshield glass and frame, especially where it comes out at the bottom and goes behind the mirror base. I got home from work without the wind catching the antenna wire and pulling it out, but I don't think I can count on it staying in place without doing something. Any suggestions? Don't want something that wouldn't look good.

The next problem is where to mount the radio cradle. There does not seem to be a perfectly flat surface anywhere on the dash where it would make sense to mount it. I could drill into the dash and mount the cradle with screws, but I sure hate to do that to a brand new car. I'm afraid that the sticky thing on the back would not make enough contact to hold it in place, since the base is flat, but the dash is curved. Need some ideas, please.

Tom
Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I've seen xm antennae run on the inside of the weather stripping on the door, and then mounted on the edge of the door at the top. I don't know if there is enough room on the edge of the yaris to do that though.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I've seen xm antennae run on the inside of the weather stripping on the door, and then mounted on the edge of the door at the top. I don't know if there is enough room on the edge of the yaris to do that though.
Thanks. I don't think the antenna wire is going to be as big of a problem as mounting the cradle for the receiver, but I might have found a solution to that.

I didn't want to "stick" something on my dash, and I didn't want to drill any holes. I found out that Audiovox, the manufacturer of the XM radio I bought, also offers customized mounting devices. They make a bracket for the Yaris, and I might just order one. You take the cover off where climate control knobs are located, and the bracket screws in behind it. You then put the cover back on, leaving outer part of the bracket exposed. Pretty neat. The cost of the bracket is $31.95.

Tom
Old 04-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
About the antenna... it will go through plastic. I used to have mine run along the window like you're talking about. Now I have it glued under the plastic right below the wipers. Occasionally it will cut out when I'm driving under stuff but it's really not any more frequent than it was before when it was just sitting on my roof. But now the wire is run from inside out the door and into the engine bay. There is a little section of that plastic under the wipers that will pop off. I glued it right under there and used some duct tape to hold it in place till the glue dried. No visibility now :)
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsladaritz View Post
About the antenna... it will go through plastic. I used to have mine run along the window like you're talking about. Now I have it glued under the plastic right below the wipers. Occasionally it will cut out when I'm driving under stuff but it's really not any more frequent than it was before when it was just sitting on my roof. But now the wire is run from inside out the door and into the engine bay. There is a little section of that plastic under the wipers that will pop off. I glued it right under there and used some duct tape to hold it in place till the glue dried. No visibility now :)
Thanks.

I'm going to try it for a while like I have it. I found out that I could tuck that wire under the windshield gasket better than I had it, and now I think it will be fine.

Tom
Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have XM or Sirius on all of my cars, and all the antennas are located underneath the dash. They all work perfectly and there is no loss in reception. I would suggest that exterior placement is not necessary.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
wow i cant beleave you dont lose reception under over passes like all other users do and even more with that in a bad spot . i tried on the dash in the center at the bottom of the front window in the middle of the defrosting vents and it sucked there and your is under the dash and has no problems tell me more i have a few different units in my car gps and satelite units . what antennas are you using ? i would like to hide my antenna if i dont lose reception but i dont think they go hand in hand please advise

Last edited by pennyracer; 06-30-2009 at 10:04 AM.
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
I still lose reception at the fast food drive through or going under bridges. But as long as the antenna isn't under metal it should get a signal just fine. And I'm just using the antenna that came with the unit.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
BigmikeNYC

Drives: 2008 Sedan
any advice on the xm direct adapter for an 08 sedan .. how hard to hook up???I am using the Aux input now but have a lil hum that I would love to get rid of.
BigmikeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
go here and get a refurb xm unit. no need to get a high tech fancy one. its a simple receiver unit, your only paying for color screens and fancy buttons otherwise. the roadyII has a load of color screens to match your interior lights etc. as well. i could have gotten the xm adapter set for my JVC head unit but for $30 i got the refurb unit. http://www.myradiostore.com/i have it mounted under the climate control area and wires running to my head unit with the wires hidden behind the center console... and have the antenna in the windshield dash area, no reception problems either. hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0037.jpg (106.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0036.jpg (116.6 KB, 109 views)

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ I have that one laying around if someone wants to buy it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Audio is not my strength, I use a local shop for that. I'll ask them about the antennas that were used. I know they used double-sided tape to attach the antenna to the underside of the dash. Once, it fell off and reception went bye bye.

No loss of reception through underpasses, even works through Malibu Canyon (with one 10-second dropout), which is a very tight canyon I drive through regularly.

Quote:
wow i cant beleave you dont lose reception under over passes like all other users do and even more with that in a bad spot . i tried on the dash in the center at the bottom of the front window in the middle of the defrosting vents and it sucked there and your is under the dash and has no problems tell me more i have a few different units in my car gps and satelite units . what antennas are you using ? i would like to hide my antenna if i dont lose reception but i dont think they go hand in hand please adise
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
which is a very tight canyon I drive through regularly.
damn... i wish i could say that

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #18
BigmikeNYC

Drives: 2008 Sedan
I have the ant on the trunk with the wires in the weatherstripping I used the cradle that came with it and secured it by the a/c knobs. I habe the remaining wires secured in the plastic on the bottom of the door, with the wires run under the mat, plugged into the aux input get a lil hummm but it is still enjoyable.
BigmikeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote