Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
OneKiwi

Drives: 2002 Yaris
Speaker/filter/stereo probs/question

Hi all first post so here we go...

Owned my first 02 yaris T sport for about 2 weeks now and am really pleased with it.

The guy I got it from changed out the original stereo to a nice sony mp3 w usb etc a sony cdx-gt616u

Im now looking at changin the original speakers that are really pretty good to something a little better

Is it a simple change it job?

Is there a built in filter for the original front indash or in door speakers cos when I changed the speakers in the doors to other speakers and the indash to tweeters (with attached filter) it sounded crap, a lot worse than the originals no bass..

I just used the original cables that were there.
Have the indash as front speakers and indoor as rear

I got a mate that is going to come over with another kit system and a coaxial system that I can try/test just to see if it was a crap kit that I got or something with the original wiring and or stereo unit

Anyone have similar problems?
Is there anything I should know about the yaris wiring? setup?
I have no speakers in the rear hat rack or rear doors.
OneKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the hatchback have 4 front full range speakers, dash = front and door = rear. at least, it did in mine.

i ran all new cables when i installed new component speakers. I put the tweeters in the dash location and the mid-bass in the doors... So i only used the front channels.

Not many speakers will output much bass.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
OneKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
the hatchback have 4 front full range speakers, dash = front and door = rear. at least, it did in mine.

i ran all new cables when i installed new component speakers. I put the tweeters in the dash location and the mid-bass in the doors... So i only used the front channels.

Not many speakers will output much bass.
Yeah Im thinking thats the prob.. I think Ill have to go with a little higer end components or a real good coaxiel in the doors maybe replace the 4" ones as well.... and new cables running through

could even do a replace all 4 with full range as my sub box (that I will sell) isn't going in cos of space issues

what you think?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
IllusionX

i would install a full component set in the dash... 5.25" in the dash holes and tweeters in the A-pillars. Then you find some good 6" mid-bass for the doors. Sort of a 3-way system, it is better that way.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
OneKiwi

5,25 in the dash? don't think they will fit will they?

anyway my mate came over yesterday with 2 sorts..
1. a DLS coaxial that we tried not too good, bass was a little better but no cigar.
2. a 5,25 component set that we tried as well. worked much better so I am now half way installing that.

I have run new wiring to the door and taken the tweeter signal from those wires, Ill look at some sound deadning but that will come later

sound pretty damn good.
I like your idea, but think Ill stick with 2 way system

thanks for you help

I will look at a amp for under the seats or in/under dash but that will come later as well

wondering also about something small in the hat rack or rear doors to FILL in the sound a little that might just complement it a bit
Old 06-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
IllusionX

it does fit.. with some mods.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
OneKiwi

was it tricky to do?
would 2 kits be an over kill? thinking one kit in the door othe other in the dash. might work one running off the front the other the rear, Im still going to be missing the lower range tho aren't I ?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
IllusionX

it required removal of the entire dash and some mounts to be fabricated :P
and no, they don't fit just right in. lol

If you are going to get an amp, 2 component kit is not overkill. Although, i would ditch the tweeters of one of the 2 kits. Only use the 6" mid bass of the 2nd for the doors and use an active cross-over/filter