Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
BigmikeNYC

Drives: 2008 Sedan
Hum

Hi all I have my xm hooked up to the aux input but still get a hum. I am far from a techie and really dont want to install anything by taking the radio out ... and ideas?? Thanks a bunch
BigmikeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Is your XM unit powered by a lighter plug? If so, can it run off of it's own battery for a test to see if the hum stops?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
guzziknight

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
I have the same issue with my ipod. I think it's the ipod itself. When I unplug it from the outlet and run it off it's battery, the hum goes away. You'd think it was something with the power. However, when I plug my iphone in, it works fine. It's an older ipod, so that may the issue.

I'm wondering if hardwiring the power will solve the problem, but I have my doubts. The good thing is that the hum is really only heard at high volumes, so it's not that big of a deal.

My guess n your case is it may be the xm unit itself, like mine. You may want to try another power souce and see if you still get the hum. If so, it's probably the unit itself.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It's partially the power adapter and partially the device. Some devices have ground isolation between the power and audio circuits and others do not. The ones that don't require extremely clean power to not produce the hum.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote