Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Ileana

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
Static Shocks from my car

I love my Toyota Yaris car. 4 doors, automatic, 2008. I need help...there are days (frequently) when I turn off the engine and getting off the car I received a strong surprisingly static shock. It has me very nervous. Sometimes I don't know how to get off without that bad experience. In the rutine checkup at the dealers services I explained it and the answer was it cannot be. I told them maybe it has some problem with the electric ground or something, but no help was recieved. Has anybody had that experience with the car? Can someone help me or tell what I should do? I love my car but I'm afraid of it already. Thank you.
Ileana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I get zapped all the time.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
idk ive had to Yarii and never had this.... must be weather conditions your clothes and something else causing it.
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Ileana

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
Static Shocks from my car

YES, I ONCE THOUGHT IT WAS THE CLOTHES OR WEATHER. AND I HAVE EVEN CHANGE CLOTHES AND SHOES AND STILL HAVE THE SAME SHOCK.
IT ALSO HAS HAPPENED IN SUNNY AND BRIGHT DAYS. APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS. BUT I REALLY WANT A SOLUTION WITHOUT GETTING RID OF MY CAR. I'VE HAD DIFFERENT CARS IN MY LIFE AND I HAVE ASK OTHER WITH NO ANSWER THAT HELPS. THANK YOU.
Ileana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
you fidgit your feet too much on the carpet, and cold weather makes static worse, plus the wooly clothing you may wear....

dnt worry when it warms up and you stop figiting so much in your car... it will go away and try grounding the static using non-skin surface before you exit your car, LOL.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
USE A STATIC STRAP
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I usually to just rub the back of my hand on the glass when i know it's a dry cool day, Here's a site with people having similiar probs to yours with getting shocked.

http://www.static-sol.com/articles/static_shocks.htm

How can I stop static shocks?

Unfortunately cure is not always easy. Indoors, you can try raising the air humidity to 40-50% rh with a humidifier. (You can check the humidity with a cheap humidity meter from a gardening shop.) Also, look for shoes with leather soles. In the electronics industry, and in areas where electrostatic sparks could cause a fire hazard, people often wear specially designed static dissipative shoes to reduce electrostatic charge build-up on the body. It is less likely that problems will be experienced with non-polymer floors, such as cement or wood (although varnishes can cause problems). However, replacing the floor can be expensive!

It is possible to treat some floors with static dissipative treatments - but the benefit of this will probably wear off after a while.

Furnishings and car seats can be difficult to treat - there are some antistatic sprays available you could try. Or, you could try rubbing the fabric with fabric softener sheets, or spraying them with diluted fabric conditioner.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
same happens to me too. i just make it a habit to hold on to the metal part of the door as i exit.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Open the door through your sleeve, or start by touching a plastic part of the door, then shift over to any metal, should ground you
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
try this http://cgi.ebay.com/350321438169
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
It's cloth seat rubbing on your clothes combined with dry air. I've learned two ways to deal with it. 1. When you open the door touch the top of the metal door frame with your open palm. It will snap and not hurt. 2. Drive nude.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
It's cloth seat rubbing on your clothes combined with dry air. I've learned two ways to deal with it. 1. When you open the door touch the top of the metal door frame with your open palm. It will snap and not hurt. 2. Drive nude.
ill start up option 2 once ive tinted my windows
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I always touch the car with the key FIRST, then open it and get in. Sometimes the snap can be heard at some distance, but because the discharge is spread over your fingers and thumb, there is no bite. I tried a static strap, but it changed nothing; not sure why...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
Was going to suggest the same. Official Toyota part too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota%20Static%20Plate%202.jpg (134.9 KB, 140 views)
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Happens to me all the time, but it doesn't bother me at all. A seat cover made of natural fiber will likely reduce this a great deal.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #16
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
I remember posting about this awhile ago...Your car is just showing you love, and reminding you to never get rid of her. "Yarisa" reminds me here and there.

Last edited by marlondog; 03-13-2010 at 04:38 PM.
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #17
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ileana View Post

I love my Toyota Yaris car. 4 doors, automatic, 2008. I need help...there are days (frequently) when I turn off the engine and getting off the car I received a strong surprisingly static shock. It has me very nervous. Sometimes I don't know how to get off without that bad experience. In the rutine checkup at the dealers services I explained it and the answer was it cannot be. I told them maybe it has some problem with the electric ground or something, but no help was recieved. Has anybody had that experience with the car? Can someone help me or tell what I should do? I love my car but I'm afraid of it already. Thank you.

Try to touch your automatic gear shifter or other metal part while you are still inside the car, and then open the door right away without trying to touch anything else, this way should prevent getting shocked after exiting the car.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
To the OP,

As you should be seeing by now, static shocks are not abnormal. No reason to be afraid of your car. There is nothing wrong with it.