Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
mfratt

Drives: BMW 330i
I think I'm gonna go with the Yaris.

Hi all. Brand new member here.

I just got back from the Toyota dealership where I took a second drive in the Yaris 2-door hatch 5MT. As much as I want to think that the car is a little crappy econobox, I just love it too much! The short wheelbase and 2300lb weight make it a hoot to drive (at least with the 5 speed). The sales rep said he can get me in it for around $200/mo lease with nothing down, and that works out perfect for me. I still need to see if I can get VW lower than $249/mo with $750 down for a 2 door Rabbit, but I'm not sure thats gonna happen.

Either way, I'm really leaning towards the Yaris now. Maybe for the price, maybe for the simplicity of it, maybe just for the fun factor, but I'm really warming up to the idea of owning one.

Anyway, a few items of business I'd need to go over if I were to get one:

Tachometer. I don't like having to guess where to shift. Are there any good options for aftermarket tachs? Better yet, is it possible to retrofit a sedan gauge cluster into the hatch's?

Springs and wheels. I would probably look to get some not-too-pricey coilovers to tighten up the ride and drop it down a bit. Is TRD the best way to go or are there better options? I'll want to lose the stellies too.

Real-world MPG. What kind of mileage are you folks getting out of these? Highway, city, mixed? I'd guess that it wouldn't be too difficult to get better than the advertised 36mpg highway. Also, how many miles do you usually get out of a tank of gas?

Thanks and I look forward to becoming an active member should I go with the Yaris.
mfratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Tiddlygoose

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Sedan SI
Sorry, I can't answer for all of your questions, as I've only had my Yaris for a few months so far. I have a 2 door liftback with 5 mt as you are looking at.

While it is no MINI Cooper S, it is quite a bit of fun still. I consider it quite a bit of fun not having to worry if the car is going to make it somewhere, or home after wards.

I have only changed the Shift knob out, and have run a few tanks of gas through it, so here ya go:

My real word driving has netted me a worst ever MPG of 31.6 and a best of 38.9 with my average of about 36.8 MPG. I really beat on the poor thing to get that 31.6 too. I know that some on here have been getting 40+ by over inflating their tires and the such so more is possible.

I say this. You will not ever get a VW anywhere near as inexpensive as the Yaris, with the reliability that Toyota's have. I also own a 2003 Tacoma with 100,00 miles on it.
Tiddlygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I get about
38 city
43 highway
40 mixed

averaging about 400 miles til flashy light comes on, not bad.... :]
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I get between 36-44 mpg in both of my Sedans with AT. I do not use any hyper milling techs either.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Bought mine in May 08. It's the auto, could not find a 5 speed anywhere. It is still a blast to drive. I average close to 34 mpg, but mine is pretty much all city. I am sure 40+ on the highway would be relatively easy to achieve.

Put the Tanabe NF210 springs on mine a couple of months ago. It is so much better in both looks and handling. Coilovers are nice, too, but I couldn't justify the extra expense. Mine came with the Toyota alloys so no wheels yet for me.

Loved the yaris so much we also got one for my husband in August 08. His is the the 5 speed and it is really fun to drive, but the mpg is very close to the same.

Don't think anyone has been able to switch the gauge cluster. If the tach is that important to you then go with the S model. They come with a tach.

Have never owned a VW so no input there. Didn't even know a lease was available on the Yaris though. It is a very inexpensive car, why not just buy it?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Tenfold better than a VW.

What you will save on maintenance alone is worth it.

Go for it.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Tenfold better than a VW.

What you will save on maintenance alone is worth it.

Go for it.
Couldn't agree more....VW's suck and Toyota's reliability is unsurpassed.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Yup, VW shouldn't even be in the running! Reliability record is absolutely dismal, plus parts and maintenance costs are ridiculously overpriced.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Is there any reason why it's better to lease? Just wondering.
By owning car,
2001 Prius costed me $140/mo, and
2003 Corolla costed me $120/mo.
I'm guessing Yaris will be even cheaper than that.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlygoose View Post
While it is no MINI Cooper S, it is quite a bit of fun still. I consider it quite a bit of fun not having to worry if the car is going to make it somewhere, or home after wards.

Are you suggesting Mini Coopers are unreliable?If you know something let me know as i'm in the market for a non S version.

As for the Yaris (sedan),very reliable,excellent trade-in value,40+mpg easily obtained with a light foot,great urban commuter car,only downside i can think of is they're gutless when it comes to power.
VW's have become very undependable when it comes to their electrical components,i'd steer clear.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #11
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzyamis View Post
Is there any reason why it's better to lease? Just wondering.
By owning car,
2001 Prius costed me $140/mo, and
2003 Corolla costed me $120/mo.
I'm guessing Yaris will be even cheaper than that.
i was told that leasing a car with a price tag under 15k is less cost efficient than buying the car. I forget the reasoning though.. something to do with the amount that gets paid off in 3 years and the difference with making payments on it..
Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Well....I am not going to go out an say that the Mini is unreliable but I will say that a "little" bit of car costs a lot. For the cost of the Yaris...it's a no-brainer. VW, in my opinion, should not even be considered as the quality is horrendous and I mean quality in the vendors who make their parts. Bad control arms, electronics....the list goes on. To add insult to injury, VW's parts are as expensive...if not MORE expensive than BMW. If you are looking for a reliable, sporty daily commuter - I think that the Yaris is the best car for the money.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i love my yaris.. even after coming from about 5 years of driving loaded jeep grand cherokees.. the car is really fun and is so easy to pull apart inside.. makes moding fun :)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Prohibit Send a message via MSN to Prohibit Send a message via Yahoo to Prohibit
Sounds like we got about the same deal. I spend $200 a month and put nothing down. That was in January I think.. Yaris is the way to go! VW costs too much in repairs!

Hatchback Purist? Be sure to drop in and register. New forum with a great clean design and potential.
Prohibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
Real-world MPG. What kind of mileage are you folks getting out of these? Highway, city, mixed? I'd guess that it wouldn't be too difficult to get better than the advertised 36mpg highway. Also, how many miles do you usually get out of a tank of gas?

Thanks and I look forward to becoming an active member should I go with the Yaris.
I have an AT and use M&S tires all year round. Sometimes drive it like I stole it but most of the time try to be prudent. So I'm almost a good "bad case".

Do have a Scangauge, which I urge you to purchase as it will pay for itself very fast. Doesn't matter what you purchase they're too useful not to have in a modern car.

Use no special oils, just common garden synthetic Valvoline Syntech in 5W-30. No other additives. Only Toyota filters. Change the oil within recommended times.

Carry some tools and a few amenities in the car. Very "average" American driver.

Usually get from 32 to 38 miles per gallon. If I "hypermile" I can get into the low forties. That's with 87 octane "name brand" gasoline, usually Citgo and BP, which are the two big sellers hereabouts. My mileage will fall slightly if I go to a higher octane rating believe it or not.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
Jeff E.

Drives: 2008 White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
I get about
38 city
43 highway
40 mixed

averaging about 400 miles til flashy light comes on, not bad.... :]
Geez, how do you get that? I am only able to squeek out 37 average and that is 90 percent hiway at 59 mph. I hit 40 once this last summer. the sedan I had before was doing 41 all the time.
Jeff E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Maybe someone else mentioned this important point - you can do a lot of your own PMs right on the street.

I can change the oil in the street using a shallow pan, filter wrench with ratchet and a metric wrench (don't recall the size). No lifts, no hoists and no hassle. That's it. Takes me about twenty minutes, some here have done it far faster.

Most of the easily broken parts, such as the alternator, are right up top in the front. Air filter is up front too.

I'm told that parts for the Yaris are VERY cheap. That's because it's sold all over the world in various guises which really gives Toyota and aftermarket supplies a lot of volume.

At about 12,000 miles it's been change the oil put gas in it and drive it. The thing has never seen the inside of a garage.

Try all of that with your VW!

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
Jeff E.

Drives: 2008 White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Maybe someone else mentioned this important point - you can do a lot of your own PMs right on the street.

I can change the oil in the street using a shallow pan, filter wrench with ratchet and a metric wrench (don't recall the size). No lifts, no hoists and no hassle. That's it. Takes me about twenty minutes, some here have done it far faster.

Most of the easily broken parts, such as the alternator, are right up top in the front. Air filter is up front too.

I'm told that parts for the Yaris are VERY cheap. That's because it's sold all over the world in various guises which really gives Toyota and aftermarket supplies a lot of volume.

At about 12,000 miles it's been change the oil put gas in it and drive it. The thing has never seen the inside of a garage.

Try all of that with your VW!

Gene
Not all parts are cheap. I had to replace a roof antenna for 300.00. The base was 250. Ouch.
Jeff E. is offline   Reply With Quote