Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 AM   #19
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Who cares about some scuffs? Just an excuse to throw your dream body kit on it later and garage it as a keeper. Its a piece of Japanamerican culture.

Seriously though, its not really cosmetic damage since 99% of any scratches you will get from "bottoming out" will be on the very bottom of your kit. It is damage that is easily fixed.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #20
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I have noticed some people talk about "bottoming out". I am curious to know how many of you that have lowered your Yaris has cut the bump stops down??????
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #21
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris
I have noticed some people talk about "bottoming out". I am curious to know how many of you that have lowered your Yaris has cut the bump stops down??????
There's "bottoming out your suspension" a.k.a. riding the bump stops, and then there is "bottoming out your your car," a.k.a. hitting a nice big 'ol pot hole and slamming the car down in it.

Those with the TRD suspension are not cutting their bumpstops.. is it because the drop isn't as severe as a Tanbe drop, or is it because Toyota doesnt want you to really use your stock struts, and that you upgrade to the TRD struts/shocks when these original ones "bottom out."

Id be willing to bet, some wouldnt even know what if felt like to ride their bumpstops, and would just blame the new ride quality on the "springs" themselves.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #22
slvryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
There's "bottoming out your suspension" a.k.a. riding the bump stops, and then there is "bottoming out your your car," a.k.a. hitting a nice big 'ol pot hole and slamming the car down in it.

Those with the TRD suspension are not cutting their bumpstops.. is it because the drop isn't as severe as a Tanbe drop, or is it because Toyota doesnt want you to really use your stock struts, and that you upgrade to the TRD struts/shocks when these original ones "bottom out."

Id be willing to bet, some wouldnt even know what if felt like to ride their bumpstops, and would just blame the new ride quality on the "springs" themselves.

That would have to be one huge pothole, but I have seen them. I will probably stick with the DF's on mine. I got them really cheap though so if I decide to go with the NF's I wont be out much or there is always EBay. I was just worried about the front effect getting ripped of as well as the whole front end, but I really doubt if that would happen. Thats why I was asking some of you guys that had already lowered their Yaris's, but I have an S Sedan so I have ground effects to worry about.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #23
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
That would have to be one huge pothole, but I have seen them. I will probably stick with the DF's on mine. I got them really cheap though so if I decide to go with the NF's I wont be out much or there is always EBay. I was just worried about the front effect getting ripped of as well as the whole front end, but I really doubt if that would happen. Thats why I was asking some of you guys that had already lowered their Yaris's, but I have an S Sedan so I have ground effects to worry about.
Would it make you feel better if I said "highway dip?"
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #24
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i ordered my on ebay. was less complicated because im from canada .. hope to get it soon to install it. look weird with 17in mag without a drop lol
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #25
slvryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
Would it make you feel better if I said "highway dip?"

Thats when the D.O.T. gets a nasty voicemail. I hit a pothole that had been in the same place for months and ruined a tire and bent a rim. I just forgot about the darn thing, and they got a real nasty voicemail from me. Just to say I got a call back and it was fixed by the next weekend. The more i debate on the DF's the more I think I will like em.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #26
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
got my sprins from fedex yesterday, going to throw them on when i get home from work tonight, ill try and have some measurments, and pics up later tonite :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #27
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
got my sprins from fedex yesterday, going to throw them on when i get home from work tonight, ill try and have some measurments, and pics up later tonite :)
Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #28
slvryaris

Quote:
Its awesome you guys do your own work. I try to do as much as I can myself, but space and tools in the garage are limited. I am waiting on my neighbor who has a lift and about 20 grand worth of tools. We wanna see them pics when you get done.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #29
johnnyfive

well, the back is done, and just started to sprinkle...(no garage ><) which also means lots of gravel in my knees, but just came in for a break, and to decide if i want to go finish up in the rain or not...

side note: remove the ABS sensor clip from the rear torsion bar(if you have ABS :))....to get the travel needed to remove the stock springs. more to come...

Last edited by johnnyfive; 08-05-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #30
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
disconnecte it? why?
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #31
johnnyfive

meant to type remove the clip from the rear torsion bar....to get the travel needed to remove the stock springs

sorry about that, was in a rush to get back to work.. :) sorry if i confused anyone
Old 08-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #32
slvryaris

Quote:
meant to type remove the clip from the rear torsion bar....to get the travel needed to remove the stock springs

sorry about that, was in a rush to get back to work.. :) sorry if i confused anyone

I was getting ready to say.... Then I remember looking at the how to from I think it was chris. Then I figured it out. We wanna see some pics when you get your ride done

Last edited by slvryaris; 08-06-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #33
johnnyfive

its all done, no pics yet...raining out here...all four wheeles measured 25.5" from the ground to the arch of the wheele well, and after the drop they were all sitting at 23.75" and now the front lip sits just 5.25" off the ground.
it looks real nice, the tires fit so nicely into the wheele wells.

as soon as the reain lets up ill try and snap some pics :)
Old 08-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #34
slvryaris

Quote:
its all done, no pics yet...raining out here...all four wheeles measured 25.5" from the ground to the arch of the wheele well, and after the drop they were all sitting at 23.75" and now the front lip sits just 5.25" off the ground.
it looks real nice, the tires fit so nicely into the wheele wells.

as soon as the reain lets up ill try and snap some pics :)
Does it look like you will have clearance issues with anything?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #35
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Can't wait for pics!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #36
johnnyfive

Quote:
Does it look like you will have clearance issues with anything?
no clearance issues with the toyota alloys, but with a wider tire might give some problems, but there appears to be plenty of room on the inside of the well to have no problems with the proper offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Can't wait for pics!
just one pretty crappy shot from the phone :) hopefully have betterones soon